2024-25 Season

conundrumed

Ok, I know it’s early but…if they continue this kinda play, two things will be clearly evident:

1. last year Hanifin and Lindholm situations were more of a distraction than most were lead to believe.

2. Team chemistry was not good last few years, most probably because of the turn over of crybabies wanting out.

a cohesive team with chemistry can accomplish quite a bit, especially with a young base and the right mix of veterans, which could be what we are seeing developing this season.

so far so good, and this is definitely mirroring the Dal retool, almost to a T, which is exactly what Conroy’s plan was…thus far so good!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Ok, I know it’s early but…if they continue this kinda play, two things will be clearly evident:

1. last year Hanifin and Lindholm situations were more of a distraction than most were lead to believe.

2. Team chemistry was not good last few years, most probably because of the turn over of crybabies wanting out.

a cohesive team with chemistry can accomplish quite a bit, especially with a young base and the right mix of veterans, which could be what we are seeing developing this season.

so far so good, and this is definitely mirroring the Dal retool, almost to a T, which is exactly what Conroy’s plan was…thus far so good!

always nice to have an amazing training camp to remind veterans that there are skilled young prospects ready to take their spot.    Great organisations should Always have amazing training camps.

great game last night, but still the thing that stuck out in my mind was Wolf's performance the prior game.

• Like 1

Love having a 4th line!! Lomberg is underrated. Doesn't point much, but brings all the intangibles of intensity, effort and annoyance that makes it contagious.

Florida will miss that. Whichever Flames scout sold BT on him needs a raise. I couldn't believe we let him walk in the first place.

Always chirping and keeping everyone engaged and building them up. Dude's a charmer.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Love having a 4th line!! Lomberg is underrated. Doesn't point much, but brings all the intangibles of intensity, effort and annoyance that makes it contagious.

Florida will miss that. Whichever Flames scout sold BT on him needs a raise. I couldn't believe we let him walk in the first place.

Always chirping and keeping everyone engaged and building them up. Dude's a charmer.

I thought Connie signed him.  But I guess you mean when signed to the Heat.  BT did sign an ELC with him in 2017, so yeah somebody told him good things.  Or it was his good AHL season.

This 4th line is amusing.  Good enough to play against McDavid and keep them off the board.  Always wearing out the oposing D.  They were out for two goals for.  All that in 10 minutes of play.    

14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I thought Connie signed him.  But I guess you mean when signed to the Heat.  BT did sign an ELC with him in 2017, so yeah somebody told him good things.  Or it was his good AHL season.

This 4th line is amusing.  Good enough to play against McDavid and keep them off the board.  Always wearing out the oposing D.  They were out for two goals for.  All that in 10 minutes of play.    

I've always said you're only as good as your bottom 6. If you can't trust those guys, you're gonna wear your stars down in short order.

The forward roster has good depth. I'm not shocked Kirkland got his 1st. He's been a hard-nosed guy for a decade. Nice coverage on Draisaitl, too.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I've always said you're only as good as your bottom 6. If you can't trust those guys, you're gonna wear your stars down in short order.

The forward roster has good depth. I'm not shocked Kirkland got his 1st. He's been a hard-nosed guy for a decade. Nice coverage on Draisaitl, too.

There was a preseason game where both him and Morton pounced on a loose puck.  Both swung at it, but only Costco connected.  Would call that a reaction goal.  Same against EDM.  That shift where his goal was scored was dominating the Oilers down low and maintaining the possession while getting chances.  Considering his play in his 2 games with the Flames, he's a good option for the 4th line right now.  Meshes well with Lomberg and Klapka or Coronato.  

Long term, I'm not sure what the plan is though.  Keep him up for 10 (or 30 days) and he has to go through waivers again.  Sharky and Rooney come back and we have some decisions to make.  The simple answer is that Honzek needs to go back to the AHL for some seasoning and to keep the ELC slide going.  But Honzek and to a lesser extent Coronato earned their spots on the opening lineup.  Then again Costco is a better spare F to have than a prospect needing to play regular games.

Our next B2B games are mid and end of November.  Time will tell how we manage the lineup.  

I do hope there is a plan around Honzek, Coronato etc around the 10 game mark. I'm sure there is and sitting for a few games isn't a big deal but I don't like the idea of Coronato not getting regular playing time for much longer and while I don't think Honzek is playing poorly, i still think the AHL is best for this year. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I do hope there is a plan around Honzek, Coronato etc around the 10 game mark. I'm sure there is and sitting for a few games isn't a big deal but I don't like the idea of Coronato not getting regular playing time for much longer and while I don't think Honzek is playing poorly, i still think the AHL is best for this year. 

I know the 10 game thing is specifically for Honzek, as Coronato already is on his ELC.  I agree that I prefer they be careful with him and send him down if he isn't getting better, like scoring.  Kinda the same way they were going to send down Gaudreau at the 7 game mark because he was struggling to create.  

I don't mean that Honzek is really struggling, but he should be kept up if he makes the case.  Scoring is part of that, IMHO.

Hopefully, Sharangovich is back from injury before Honzek plays 10 games.

I truly believe that a year in the AHL will go a long way in developing Hozek's pro game.

I used to think that Coronato needed to play in the Top 9 or he'd be wasted.

However, after watching him on the 4th line against Edmonton, often facing the Oiler's Top 6, I can see him becoming a better NHLer by learning the defensive, grinding side of pro hockey. He can share that 4th line RW spot with Klapka for now. At some point in the season, one or more of Mantha, Kuzmenko, or Coleman will sustain an injury and Coronato will get some Top 9 minutes.

As for the 4th line C spot, Rooney has a lot more NHL experience, is the faster skater, and has better FO stats. Kirkland is younger and a little more physical. Both would probably clear waivers if sent down to the Wranglers.

3 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

Hopefully, Sharangovich is back from injury before Honzek plays 10 games.

I truly believe that a year in the AHL will go a long way in developing Hozek's pro game.

I used to think that Coronato needed to play in the Top 9 or he'd be wasted.

However, after watching him on the 4th line against Edmonton, often facing the Oiler's Top 6, I can see him becoming a better NHLer by learning the defensive, grinding side of pro hockey. He can share that 4th line RW spot with Klapka for now. At some point in the season, one or more of Mantha, Kuzmenko, or Coleman will sustain an injury and Coronato will get some Top 9 minutes.

As for the 4th line C spot, Rooney has a lot more NHL experience, is the faster skater, and has better FO stats. Kirkland is younger and a little more physical. Both would probably clear waivers if sent down to the Wranglers.

I would like to see Honzek play with Pospisil and Mantha.  See the Slovak connection.  I see some similar play in those 3 players.  Honzek not as well suited for the rough stuff, but the speed would be fun.

Rooney will be back soon enough, so they may just send Costco down.  He has a total of 30 days or 7 games left before he hits the waiver thing again.  

Sharky may not be back for some time.  The GM may have to ask Huska not to play him every game if the plan doesn't include keeping him for 40-82 games.  I think by around game 7 they should have enough info to make a wise decision.  I wouldn't say he's in over his head, but he's on a line with Kadri.  That spells hits for and against.  

I think it's fair to say that Wolf has somewhat won two games this year that otherwise would not be wins.

He's not the only story but it's quite the start.

Need more to know what we have.    I feel a little like if players figure him out, then the season will go like most of us expected, and he will spend 1-2 years developing in the NHL.    On the other hand if players Don't figure him out lol, then, Calder candidate and our situation becomes much more complex.