2024-25 Season

conundrumed

I think this team is going to surprise some teams and they will be a harder to play against. I wouldn’t go as far as saying they are a playoff team, but I don’t think they will be a bottom 5 team. Now that could change depending on goaltending and how the trade deadline goes.

I also think the Pacific is probably the weakest division in hockey. Vancouver is overrated especially if they don’t have Demko, LA isn’t going to be able to overcome the loss of Doughty and their goaltending is suspect. Seattle is probably going to be worse than Calgary. Anaheim and San Jose are going to be competing for the 1st overall pick again. That really only leaves Edmonton and Vegas as legit teams in this division. I think only 3 teams come from this division for playoff spots and if I could say only 2 would make it I would.

That’s going to mean that Calgary’s record most likely isn’t going to be as bad as people think.

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Rooney to IR and Kirkland up. 

I'm surprised by that. Thought Morton would be on their radar before Kirkland. 

I was expecting Hunt to be honest, I can see it being a bit of a revolving door on that 4th line, if Rooney is going to be out for awhile.

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think this team is going to surprise some teams and they will be a harder to play against. I wouldn’t go as far as saying they are a playoff team, but I don’t think they will be a bottom 5 team. Now that could change depending on goaltending and how the trade deadline goes.

I also think the Pacific is probably the weakest division in hockey. Vancouver is overrated especially if they don’t have Demko, LA isn’t going to be able to overcome the loss of Doughty and their goaltending is suspect. Seattle is probably going to be worse than Calgary. Anaheim and San Jose are going to be competing for the 1st overall pick again. That really only leaves Edmonton and Vegas as legit teams in this division. I think only 3 teams come from this division for playoff spots and if I could say only 2 would make it I would.

That’s going to mean that Calgary’s record most likely isn’t going to be as bad as people think.

Ya it's one of those... they underestimate us until we shock teams enough and play .600 hockey all through October.  After that, teams play their #1 G against us instead of giving them the night off... And we slow trend downwards from Nov onwards.

11 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Rooney to IR and Kirkland up. 

I'm surprised by that. Thought Morton would be on their radar before Kirkland. 

I guess they feel that Kirkland's experience is needed at this point.  None with the Flames, and a total of 9 with ARI and ANA.  I thought he played for us last year, but it was years ago.

Just now, JTech780 said:

I wonder if Calgary puts a claim in on Lavoie. We are short on center depth, Lavoie has size and can play the middle. Might make some sense.

I had suggested it before we sent down Schwindt.  I think he is at least decent enough to play 4th line.  I saw some of his play as an Oiler.  But I don't know we want to bother with EDM players right now.  If we ended up waiving him, he might be able to pass on practice secrets.  LOL.  Like we have any.

Doesn't make sense from my perspective. I don't think Lavoie offers you anything you don't already have so you are just clogging up the situation for your own prospects. 

Get center is a bit thin but I'd rather use Kirkland short term and consider Morton, even Kerins, long term than use Lavoie. 

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Doesn't make sense from my perspective. I don't think Lavoie offers you anything you don't already have so you are just clogging up the situation for your own prospects. 

Get center is a bit thin but I'd rather use Kirkland short term and consider Morton, even Kerins, long term than use Lavoie. 

The only thing I would counter with is that Pachal was a waiver claim last year.  We now treat him as one of our own.  Why would Lavoie be treated any different.  I get the argument against it, but if he makes the team better, so be it.  

Anyway this is pointless.  CGY isn't claiming him or Tyson Jost.

16 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The only thing I would counter with is that Pachal was a waiver claim last year.  We now treat him as one of our own.  Why would Lavoie be treated any different.  I get the argument against it, but if he makes the team better, so be it.  

Anyway this is pointless.  CGY isn't claiming him or Tyson Jost.

I don't disagree with the idea of making waiver claims if it makes your team better. IMO Lavoie does not. I was not familiar with Pachal's game pre waiver claim but I'm fairly familiar with Lavoie's and I would not claim him. I don't think he is an NHL player so I don't see the upside. 

Flames clearly saw some upside in Pachal and also the difference for me is it was at a position where they were very thin at and there was no one he was blocking. Lavoie is blocking multiple prospects. 

It's a pretty rare one but this looks pretty dump. 

Original Edm's player they want him in the AHL so waive him. Team claims him but also wants him in the AHL so they waive him so original team takes him back and upon waiving him Vegas reclaims him and despite the fact he was originally Edm's player and they clearly want him in their org Vegas gets him and can send him down. 

Rare case and can't design a rule for everything but logic is pretty broken

11 hours ago, cross16 said:

It's a pretty rare one but this looks pretty dump. 

Original Edm's player they want him in the AHL so waive him. Team claims him but also wants him in the AHL so they waive him so original team takes him back and upon waiving him Vegas reclaims him and despite the fact he was originally Edm's player and they clearly want him in their org Vegas gets him and can send him down. 

Rare case and can't design a rule for everything but logic is pretty broken

It's so bizarre.  I haven't seen anthing like this before. I have to wonder what EDM was actually thinking would happen.  GM's know this don't they?  

11 hours ago, cross16 said:

Wondering if it's more they want Morton to have some AHL time first before he gets a call up. 

11 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Never a bad thing to have Kirkland buying time, whilst giving him a shot.  I don't hate the move.

My thought is that they prefer Kirkland for the 4th line role over Morton.  I think Kirkland is a depth C in the AHL team, while Morton is one of the top ones, not really suited for 4th line.  Sure, they probably want to get him more AHL time, but the only way he replaces Kirkland on the 4th line is if he sucks.  

Anyway, we will see.  Kirkland had a good preseason game.  I don't hate the player, just that he's more a career AHL'er.

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

My thought is that they prefer Kirkland for the 4th line role over Morton.  I think Kirkland is a depth C in the AHL team, while Morton is one of the top ones, not really suited for 4th line.  Sure, they probably want to get him more AHL time, but the only way he replaces Kirkland on the 4th line is if he sucks.  

Anyway, we will see.  Kirkland had a good preseason game.  I don't hate the player, just that he's more a career AHL'er.

Kirkland is just as good as the name brands, I'm told. I mean, it could be Great Value, which clearly isn't as good as the name brands. He has Our Compliments.

As I understand it, he has some Signature moves. He's not a No-Name.

If I presided over Presidents, he'd be my Choice.🤔

59 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Kirkland is just as good as the name brands, I'm told. I mean, it could be Great Value, which clearly isn't as good as the name brands. He has Our Compliments.

My, my you woke up bright and spunky this morning.  I woke to a heavy frost, and before dawn spraying of my tomatoes to delay freezing, and bringing the peppers in.  Good thing the garden is close to being wrapped up, hockey has started.  I'm very interested to see if the Flames can carry on with their strong play in the upcoming back-to-backs, especially tomorrow against the Oilers. Want we want is solid, hard play, No Frills...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cberg said:

My, my you woke up bright and spunky this morning.  I woke to a heavy frost, and before dawn spraying of my tomatoes to delay freezing, and bringing the peppers in.  Good thing the garden is close to being wrapped up, hockey has started.  I'm very interested to see if the Flames can carry on with their strong play in the upcoming back-to-backs, especially tomorrow against the Oilers. Want we want is solid, hard play, No Frills...

Gardening in October = the struggle is real. lol

I still have lingering squash, tomatoes, peppers. I'm tired of them, and monitoring overnight lows. Maybe 2 more weeks before I till it all asunder.

Huge difference here is herbs. I had to give them their own are because they re-seed like crazy. All of them, so I let them. They are not annuals here. Well, they are, but the seeds don't care. Let them fall. Even scallions, cilantro and basil. Things I didn't expect. Though I do love low maintenance.

Some things are considered noxious weed here, surprisingly. Morning Glory, Heliopsis, Sweet Pea and many of my Alberta faves for show are considered invasive.

I was shocked. I can grow 7' tall Burgundy Amaranthus for backdrop, so that's fun. Many inquiries. "Here, take a piece of flower and dry it. There will only be 8 million seeds".

They're a spectacle...yet edible. Every last piece.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, conundrumed said:

He's a Costco brand, so serves the purpose.