24-25 Training Camp

conundrumed

There are a lot better choices than Pelt and Schwindt on the waiver wire. Pelt seems like a great kid, but he is a third-line player at best. Schwindt just was always meh. Honzek and Corronato were standouts through camp. I still think they get sent down unless there are injuries we do not know of. Keeping Hanley was just a positional choice. It would be nice to see him clear, and then they can light up the AHL and gain some much-needed confidence. 

12 hours ago, tmac70 said:

There are a lot better choices than Pelt and Schwindt on the waiver wire. Pelt seems like a great kid, but he is a third-line player at best. Schwindt just was always meh. Honzek and Corronato were standouts through camp. I still think they get sent down unless there are injuries we do not know of. Keeping Hanley was just a positional choice. It would be nice to see him clear, and then they can light up the AHL and gain some much-needed confidence. 

Agreed 100%

1 hour ago, jefsmi said:

I don't get protecting Hanley, I get there's a logjam of dmen in the AHL but what's the difference if he doesn't play here or there. Would they have to send one of the prospect dmen to ECHL if he goes down? I don't understand that part.

He's just the spare, so no effect on the fwds we needed to sort out. Pelts and Schwindt need minutes so no point keeping them as benchwarmers.

Can't protect Pelletier forever, so this is likely the time to try to jam him through the glut of waivers.

17 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

He's just the spare, so no effect on the fwds we needed to sort out. Pelts and Schwindt need minutes so no point keeping them as benchwarmers.

Can't protect Pelletier forever, so this is likely the time to try to jam him through the glut of waivers.

I get that they don't want a prospect sitting eating popcorn.  So, we are going instead with 8D and maybe only 12F.  But I think that's not likely what will happen.  Frk or Hunt will come up to sit.  Fine.  When there is an injury they will draw in.  On the other hand, if they decided to keep up one prospect, they could alternate him in and out of the lineup, much like they will do with Barrie.  Hanley will be luck to get 10 games this year. 

This is by no means saying that we should have kept Pelletier up.  He wasn't one of the best.  There are a couple of guys that were.  Reward them and maybe give them a handful then send them back.  No pain that way and they get a decent paycheck.

Anyway, drop the dang puck already.

First off the Hanley over Pelts thing is irrelevant, it's a positional choice that screams LOFT in the D position for options.  Everyone is arse bent because Pelts was a 1st like that's an outlier who has some mythical power of success, the kid was not good at all in ANY of the pre-season games even against the AHL rosters. Nobody thinks we will make the playoffs and are possibly a bottom-five team, and you can't crack this roster, this should be the first sign. The only thing he brings to MTL is he speaks French. This IMHO is just another wide miss of drafting by Trevling, a small semi-skilled forward who has been over-glorified and under-performed. I would be floored if he gets picked up, there are far better options for a 3rd liner on the waiver wire than him.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I get that they don't want a prospect sitting eating popcorn.  So, we are going instead with 8D and maybe only 12F.  But I think that's not likely what will happen.  Frk or Hunt will come up to sit.  Fine.  When there is an injury they will draw in.  On the other hand, if they decided to keep up one prospect, they could alternate him in and out of the lineup, much like they will do with Barrie.  Hanley will be luck to get 10 games this year. 

This is by no means saying that we should have kept Pelletier up.  He wasn't one of the best.  There are a couple of guys that were.  Reward them and maybe give them a handful then send them back.  No pain that way and they get a decent paycheck.

Anyway, drop the dang puck already.

The Pelletier problem is, "so what if you have to waive him in season"? He needs minutes, and hasn't looked NHL ready yet.

I'm a fan and 100% put it down to last year's disaster. He needs playing time, and not being tentative-in-the-NHL playing time.

8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Sharky is on IR today, which is really bad.  So, one can suggest that someone needs to play LW in his absence.  Not sure who fits the bill, but Honzek makes sense from a positional perspective.  Sharky was playing with Kuzmenko if I recall.

Saw that coming, hopefully week-to-week and not month-to-month.

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

The Pelletier problem is, "so what if you have to waive him in season"? He needs minutes, and hasn't looked NHL ready yet.

I'm a fan and 100% put it down to last year's disaster. He needs playing time, and not being tentative-in-the-NHL playing time.

Yeah it's not the end of the world.  We have LW's that are much more ready or have at least shown it this preseason.  He never got his mojo back. so hope it's like Pospisil after his injury and he makes it impossible to leave him in the AHL.  To do that, we do need a top 9 spot opening up.  

The stars aligned to give Honzek his shot.  He prevailed after injuries.  Coronato is more mature in years, but Honzek has shown he knows both ends of the ice.

18 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

If Pelts clears, can still keep him up for 30 days.

2.5 hours until it's the moment of truth.

Columbus, I would think, is the biggest threat. They have lots of C potential, but wing is a bit sketch.

Can't really see why anyone else would.

Imagine if BT claimed him...

I would be okay with CBJ claiming him.  He might get a shot there.

Not that I want to lose him, but if lose him we must, CBJ needs help.

I'll be surprised if Pelletier makes it through but hopefully the Flames did their homework. Won't be mad if they lose him either it just too bad given how the last copule of years of gone but even when he was drafted he was a middle 6 forward at best and I don't think you lament losing those guys. 

I don't think it's the best decision to waive him over Honzek but I can the rationale. My preference would be to give him some NHL rope but I also understand it's not the direction they are going. 

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'll be surprised if Pelletier makes it through but hopefully the Flames did their homework. Won't be mad if they lose him either it just too bad given how the last copule of years of gone but even when he was drafted he was a middle 6 forward at best and I don't think you lament losing those guys. 

I don't think it's the best decision to waive him over Honzek but I can the rationale. My preference would be to give him some NHL rope but I also understand it's not the direction they are going. 

I mean, even if he wasn't claimed... LHS LW mid-6... Don't we have 8 other kids with that potential already?

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I would be okay with CBJ claiming him.  He might get a shot there.

Not that I want to lose him, but if lose him we must, CBJ needs help.

Looking at Cap Wages for C-bus wasn't fun. I scrolled down too far to see Gaudreau's status. Damn, did you have to be so blunt? NA would have been fine.

15 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'm with you for the most part, but also have to paint on a happy face and hope it comes out positive.

26 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I mean, even if he wasn't claimed... LHS LW mid-6... Don't we have 8 other kids with that potential already?

Yup which is why I won't lament it if it happens. 

With Pelletier specifically I think he's got a leadership/compete element to give that not all the other kids do I think that is worth trying to encourage. On top of the fact that just strictly asset management you'd love to turn this into something if you can. 

But agreed, not going to lament the loss if it happens. 

11 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

As a matter of discussion, a lot had Honzek as swill a few short weeks ago, now he's groundswell.

Why do some just chomp at the bit to write stuff off?

So Pelts is now the write-off by some.

Always need a target, evidently.

We can go back and find the trashing.  I find it funny that guys like Francis got a lot more room than say Pelletier or Honzek.  Even Pospisil and Zary.