Pelletier-Backlund-Coleman

Huberdeau-Sharangovich-Coronato

Lomberg-Morton-Klapka

Weegar-Miromanov

Solovyov-Andersson

Barrie-Pachal

Vladar

Cooley

It looks like the 3 fringe D-men are playing tonight to battle for the last 2 spots.

If there is a 8th D, then these should be the ones that make it; Brz needs to play in the AHL for a bit.

He's already showing how good he is, but he's had no pro experience at all.

Morton fighting Rooney for 4C.

Klapka deserves the game to see if he can continue his stellar play.

He just fits so well with Lomberg.

Honzek and Coronato given huge chance here to show they are scoring wingers.

With Pospisil injured and Mantha a questionable long term fit, there are spots to grab.

What's with Huska and the, "Honner" nickname? Really?? Is Honz not sufficient?

Oh well, at least Honzek is short-formed, I guess. Means he's progressing. lol

Like, can I not Satoshi Nakamoto on Honzek for made up reasons anymore? What is the world coming to?

Morin and Suniev better watch their step, I need someone Mews to Satoshi Nakamoto on. /s

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Anyone else finding it weird that the Flames really aren't playing Wolf much in the pre season?

If I was to guess, they think he is solid and doesn't need the games.  They seem to be trying to figure out whether Vladar or Cooley can be the 2nd goalie.  That and Vladar has rust built up due to surgery.

I am assuming that the guy that starts the final preseason game starts the season.  At this point it seems to be that Wolf gets it by the numbers.  They probably want to see Cooley in one more game.  

Or, in other words, I have no idea.

16 minutes ago, The_Tribal Chief said:

I think cross that is much more cause Vladar is comming off hip surgury and so there trying to get him up to game speed faster cause he hasnt played for 6 months cause of it

Granted, Cooley is making a case for himself with some very good games in already. That final cut is gonna be a tough one.

I don’t think I remember a training camp where so many young players are really standing out.

Honzek - He was almost written off going into this camp, but he has really impressed and you can see why the Flames drafted him where they did.

Klapka - Is really pushing this camp and doing what he needs to do.

Coronato - Got off to hot start, has cooled down a bit, but he is another guy who is pushing for a roster spot.

Morton - He has passed a few players on the organization’s depth chart in a short period of time. He will get time with the big club at some point this year.

Bru - Not even going to try spelling that last name, another guy who has come into this camp and really impressed.

Gru - Played a really steady, heavy game, really good skater.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Anyone else finding it weird that the Flames really aren't playing Wolf much in the pre season?

I find it weird.

All of the replies and comments above are totally 100% valid.

But it's still weird.

Would not be shocked if he pulled a groin or something

21 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

this is gonna be a really interesting decision. The kid has done everything possible.

He's definitely justified the draft position but watching him the other night it's not a hard decision for me. This kids needs to be in junior or the AHL. 

Great pre season but I don't think he is physically ready for an 82 game season right now. He needs to get stronger. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

He's definitely justified the draft position but watching him the other night it's not a hard decision for me. This kids needs to be in junior or the AHL. 

Great pre season but I don't think he is physically ready for an 82 game season right now. He needs to get stronger. 

Yeah, he is still eligible to have contract slide this year. I would love to see him get some time at center, and the best place for that might be at junior. He has the skills to play center, he has the size, skating ability, defensive awareness and playmaking ability. With the Wranglers being shallow at center he could get ice time there too, but I think learning center in his first year pro would be asking a lot and might slow some his development.

28 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Yeah, he is still eligible to have contract slide this year. I would love to see him get some time at center, and the best place for that might be at junior. He has the skills to play center, he has the size, skating ability, defensive awareness and playmaking ability. With the Wranglers being shallow at center he could get ice time there too, but I think learning center in his first year pro would be asking a lot and might slow some his development.

For what it’s worth, the Vancouver Giants have three overagers already on their roster. I don’t think they expect Honzek or Lipinski back, at the moment.

41 minutes ago, cross16 said:

It’s been one of the best stories of camp. I think the most likely outcome is he starts the year with the Wranglers. Hopefully sometime in the new year, he can earn a recall. Play big minutes with the Wranglers and hopefully build off a really positive training camp 

10 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I see him as a winger myself. I’m not sure he’s got the agility to be a center. 

I just think he needs to get stronger in order to protect himself and to able to really thrive  down low on cycles and in the net/slot area. His size will be an asset there but right now I think he’s getting knocked off the puck too easily. 

I also just don’t see the value in getting him in the NHL sooner. It’s a big step from being good in the preseason to being good for 82 games. Don’t see why the flames should rush that 

11 hours ago, cross16 said:

Yup.

Also, if he did make the Flames, he would be getting 3 minutes a night with the chance of him getting injured being much higher than the chance of him developing into what we want out of a first rounder.   Best case scenario there is he becomes an extremely good support role player.

Meanwhile if you give him another year of junior (or to some extent the AHL), he's got first-line minutes, a leadership role, loads of development and responsibility, pp time, all the things we need  him to be good at.

He would have a chance to develop into a core player.   And we're in no rush this year.

Honzek is one of the few players that could go to one of three leagues.  It's an interesting situation.  I don't think his contract slide would be impacted by AHL vs CHL as long as he didn't play over 9 NHL games.  But that's just my limited knowledge showing.  Injury can happen in either league, so I don't know that would be an argument either way.  As a question of where he is best off, that is subjective.  In the AHL, they have the ability to impact his development directly.  His minutes would reflect his progression and pushing him.  In the CHL, he would be playing against younger players and he would likely get max ice time.  Lipinsky is likely headed to the AHL, so his teammate is not going to be there.  And Lipinsky is a much more likely C than Honzek.  

I don't see the NHL being a viable option this year.  There are too many vets to push out of the top 9.  Between Zary and Pospisil, there is no vacant spot.

Since we are talking about camp, Pelletier is really in tough to make the team.  He doesn't yet look like the 3rd or 4th non-regular NHL player out there.  He was fine against SEA, but he didn't stand out.  On a Backlund line, maybe that's fine, but there were on the ice for 2 goals against.  Not sure what to do with him, since I believe he is going to be good this year.  How do you justify keeping him up on the promise of being good?