2025 NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

It's early, but the scouting season for 24/25 unofficially starts today.

The Hlinka Gretzky gets underway this afternoon.

Schedule and Scores - 2024 Hlinka Gretzky Cup

First look at some promising young players.

Jakob Ihs-Wozniak and Sascha Boumedienne with Sweden.

Two members of the Hitmen on Team Canada, Reese Hamilton and Benjamin Kindel.

Unfortunately, the best player in the tournament isn't eligible until 26, McKenna.

Will be fun to watch nonetheless. 

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to seeing Jake O'Brien with Team Canada. Really intriguing skillset with that player.

I'm really high on Cameron Schmidt. 30 goals as a 16yr old in the Dub. Similar in size to Stankoven. Will the league learn?

It's a good chance to see development from these kids. They can use it as a springboard to a massive draft year. 

Adam Benak is an interesting prospect.

He played in the Hlinka last season as a 16yr old. Put up 10 points in 5 games. Today he was in on both goals in the Czechia win. 

The kicker? He's small. Elite Prospects has him at 5'7" as does the Hlinka website. He's making the transition to NA this season, gonna play for Youngstown in the USHL.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

He played in the Hlinka last season as a 16yr old. Put up 10 points in 5 games. Today he was in on both goals in the Czechia win. 

The kicker? He's small. Elite Prospects has him at 5'7" as does the Hlinka website. He's making the transition to NA this season, gonna play for Youngstown in the USHL.

He was noticeable, for sure.

Why is McKenna even here? lol Dude's on his own planet, holy crap.

Will he pull a Matthews and play in Europe for his draft year? December b-day...again, NHL, figure it out.

Why are all your highlight players smurfs?   Early development… fastest guys smallest guys…? Thinking back many decades the tiniest guy in high school was the fastest speedster… hmmmm… Nice reporting, unless the team does something amazing like outperforming all expectations I guess we’ll have a full year honing in on our best draft options…

Oh, btw Kylington signed a 1yr $1mm contract with Colorado today. 

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

He was noticeable, for sure.

Why is McKenna even here? lol Dude's on his own planet, holy crap.

Will he pull a Matthews and play in Europe for his draft year? December b-day...again, NHL, figure it out.

Hey Mr. Bettman, the 1st pick in 2026 would be a nice reward for the new arena haha.

He’s amazing. That Med Hat team should win the Dub. Mckenna, Lindstrom, Basha, Mrsic

edit- Med Hat bidding for the 2026 Memorial Cup. They’ve got the team for it, more so than Kelowna

1 minute ago, cberg said:

Why are all your highlight players smurfs?   Early development… fastest guys smallest guys…? Thinking back many decades the tiniest guy in high school was the fastest speedster… hmmmm… Nice reporting, unless the team does something amazing like outperforming all expectations I guess we’ll have a full year honing in on our best draft options…

Oh, btw Kylington signed a 1yr $1mm contract withe Colorado today. 

Ummm...who is this directed at? And why so angry? Want some squash? lol

6 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Hey Mr. Bettman, the 1st pick in 2026 would be a nice reward for the new arena haha.

He’s amazing. That Med Hat team should win the Dub. Mckenna, Lindstrom, Basha, Mrsic

edit- Med Hat bidding for the 2026 Memorial Cup. They’ve got the team for it, more so than Kelowna

The Hat's a fun town too. Post-bar, everyone waiting for cabs, I wandered over to a cruiser and asked to borrow a gun and badge, and I'd rustle us up some ladies. They were hilarious about it, so I asked for a ride home. "Oh we'll give you a ride, you won't like we take you". lol

I declined and slumped away. It was a fun exchange. I was much younger and maybe tipsy.

*Even I get tired of my old guy anecdotes. lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Ummm...who is this directed at? And why so angry? Want some squash? lol

Not angry, just an observation.  Wish you were closer ie the squash.  Oh well…

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

If he can't swing 2026 I'd be okay with 2027 too.

Landon Dupont's a Calgary kid anyway

I'm guessing the Flames pick between 5th to 9th next year.  Playoffs are out of the question.  But we just aren't bad enough to be top 4.  Flames basically have three 2nd lines and a top pair D.  4th line Depth and the D are looking ugly.  G is a question mark but Wolf could shine so I think we finish in the middle of the pack for goaltending.  It won't be the worst in the league or anything.

Comparing the Flames this year to SJS/CHI last year, we are better than that.

That said, I hope the Kadri and Andersson trade rumours pick up.  I think those two can contribute 10-points in the standings combined.

10 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I'm guessing the Flames pick between 5th to 9th next year.  Playoffs are out of the question.  But we just aren't bad enough to be top 4.  Flames basically have three 2nd lines and a top pair D.  4th line Depth and the D are looking ugly.  G is a question mark but Wolf could shine so I think we finish in the middle of the pack for goaltending.  It won't be the worst in the league or anything.

Comparing the Flames this year to SJS/CHI last year, we are better than that.

That said, I hope the Kadri and Andersson trade rumours pick up.  I think those two can contribute 10-points in the standings combined.

But who gets better and who gets worse from last year?  From teams lower last year, San Jose's additions are better than the Flames additions, don't see them necessarily improving drastically this year but don't see them as bas as last year.  Chicago I think could be better than the Flames, Anaheim is questionable as they haven't done much to date this offseason it will all depend on what they get for internal growth.  Utah has had a better offseason so should be better, same with Seattle.  Then out East if Montreal and Ottawa aren't better this year than there is something wrong there, Columbus is questionable.  Outside that who finished ahead of the Flames that will fall below them?  I don't really believe any of them on paper have declined to the level of the Flames.  Not saying you will be wrong, just think your overstating who added the wins last year, for a large portion of the stretch from November-March which put them back in the hunt Markstrom was probably playing his best hockey as a Flame, so I'd say he added more wins than anyone on the team.  Of course we can see growth from some of the young players, but are we going to see another 30 from Coleman or 20 from Weegar?  If I were to bet I'd still be placing for them to be closer to the bottom as things stand right now.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Benak now has the record for pts by a Czech for this tourney.

Such a good team to watch.

Slovakia needs to pull up their socks to match their neighbours. The Czechs have really been coming on the last few years.

Czechia? I'm going to pause that one. Many don't seem to agree that name was agreed to in meaningful ways. Too close to Chechnya?

3 hours ago, sak22 said:

But who gets better and who gets worse from last year?  From teams lower last year, San Jose's additions are better than the Flames additions, don't see them necessarily improving drastically this year but don't see them as bas as last year.  Chicago I think could be better than the Flames, Anaheim is questionable as they haven't done much to date this offseason it will all depend on what they get for internal growth.  Utah has had a better offseason so should be better, same with Seattle.  Then out East if Montreal and Ottawa aren't better this year than there is something wrong there, Columbus is questionable.  Outside that who finished ahead of the Flames that will fall below them?  I don't really believe any of them on paper have declined to the level of the Flames.  Not saying you will be wrong, just think your overstating who added the wins last year, for a large portion of the stretch from November-March which put them back in the hunt Markstrom was probably playing his best hockey as a Flame, so I'd say he added more wins than anyone on the team.  Of course we can see growth from some of the young players, but are we going to see another 30 from Coleman or 20 from Weegar?  If I were to bet I'd still be placing for them to be closer to the bottom as things stand right now.

Fair enough I haven't gone through every team to evaluate.  On the surface, I don't think SJS improved by 30-points to join the rest of the pack so they remain a bottom dwelling team.  But they did do some good things.

CHI, likewise needs a 30-point jump to get into the pack with the Flames last year.  Bedard will be better but they need improvement all around.  CHI is two years and 15-NHLers away from being a playoff team.

ANA... Several years ahead of SJS and CHI in their rebuild.  Next season could see them take a next step... But no one should be surprised if they falter again.

CBJ has a lot of problems.  I think they remain a basement team.  They have a good young core but it's too young.  They need several years yet.

SEA, I could see a collapse to a bottom feeder.  PHI is also thin on depth.

MTL, OTT, and Utah I think have a good young core that's ready to push up the standings.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Fair enough I haven't gone through every team to evaluate.  On the surface, I don't think SJS improved by 30-points to join the rest of the pack so they remain a bottom dwelling team.  But they did do some good things.

CHI, likewise needs a 30-point jump to get into the pack with the Flames last year.  Bedard will be better but they need improvement all around.  CHI is two years and 15-NHLers away from being a playoff team.

ANA... Several years ahead of SJS and CHI in their rebuild.  Next season could see them take a next step... But no one should be surprised if they falter again.

CBJ has a lot of problems.  I think they remain a basement team.  They have a good young core but it's too young.  They need several years yet.

SEA, I could see a collapse to a bottom feeder.  PHI is also thin on depth.

MTL, OTT, and Utah I think have a good young core that's ready to push up the standings.

I don't think they jump 30 points, but I don't think the Flames are anywhere close to an 81 point team next season, I could see either being 15-20 points better and the Flames being 15-20 points worse.