Zayne Parekh 2024 1st round pick- 9th Overall

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

The bigger question about the player was why a 3rd time draft eligible player gets selected before Misa?  Could he not have been drafted later?  Or like a guy not drafted in his 3rd draft, just get signed for freezies?  We have drafted a similar type before and it didn't work out. Austin Carrol says hi.  It's fair to say that 10 years ago, overagers were a different breed and a gritty player just ran over players as a 20 year old.  But still. 

I don't really see any similarities with Carrol, that was a major wtf for me, even that late in the draft.    Hoskin doubled his goal and point production 2 years in a row.    If he wasn't getting drafted he was getting signed for sure.

It's an insane progression.   Like..if it were kept up two more years in a row (it won't be), he'd be neck and neck with McDavid.

What's the price and valuation on that compared to Misa?  Did Misa sleep with Bettman's wife?  These are things we simply cannot know.

But...can you argue with the results?   Every team had the same opportunities in multiple rounds.   But the Flames are walking away with these players.   They pulled off similar magic in earlier rounds.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

The bigger question about the player was why a 3rd time draft eligible player gets selected before Misa?  Could he not have been drafted later?  Or like a guy not drafted in his 3rd draft, just get signed for freezies?  We have drafted a similar type before and it didn't work out. Austin Carrol says hi.  It's fair to say that 10 years ago, overagers were a different breed and a gritty player just ran over players as a 20 year old.  But still. 

It's a weird one for sure, but not one that you would just sign out of the OJHL because you want the further development in college.  But his path probably isn't too far off from a Connor Mackey or Sam Morton, so your really just jumping the gun and hoping to have something down the road, seems early to take him but perhaps they felt other teams were after him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sak22 said:

It's a weird one for sure, but not one that you would just sign out of the OJHL because you want the further development in college.  But his path probably isn't too far off from a Connor Mackey or Sam Morton, so your really just jumping the gun and hoping to have something down the road, seems early to take him but perhaps they felt other teams were after him.

The OJHl is kinda similar to the BCHL and AJHL, I suppose.

I struggled with the comparison leagues when I moved to Alberta.

I grew up with Jr A being the CHL. OJ is Jr B, we have JR C (Petrolia) and Junior D (Mooretown) as well.

The OJ has become similar to the AHL. Farm teams for the OHL. Really fun hockey, though.

Really good Juveniles.

Such an odd pick, to me.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

The OJHl is kinda similar to the BCHL and AJHL, I suppose.

I struggled with the comparison leagues when I moved to Alberta.

I grew up with Jr A being the CHL. OJ is Jr B, we have JR C (Petrolia) and Junior D (Mooretown) as well.

The OJ has become similar to the AHL. Farm teams for the OHL. Really fun hockey, though.

Really good Juveniles.

Such an odd pick, to me.

What I'm seeing with his point and goal production on that team, with his size, and compared to what players his age have been doing out of the OJHL over the last couple years:

I would anticipate him coming into the NCAA as a power forward, getting into top 20 for point and goal production.  At the age of 21. 

That would more than put him in line with where he was picked, so, I get it.  I think they found an opportunity.   So we'll see if that actually comes to fruition.  But with his size, and RW position, it's possible he could translate that to the NHL very well.   

And with his production doubling every year.... lol

Canada ran with 6 D in yesterday's Summer Showcase vs the US.

Parekh played 3rd pairing/1st PP. He's in tough to make the WJC team, as this is a tryout. Morin skated with Dickinson vs Finland Friday and looked good.

Dickinson and Andrew Gibson played top pair yesterday and are likely the front-runners for the WJC team.

Catton was the best player on the ice most of the time, putting the US on their heels.

Musty keeping up his goal/gm pace, but I'm uncertain if the US will keep him. He really hurt their feelings going to the CHL...just commenting on him. lol

On 8/4/2024 at 6:18 AM, conundrumed said:

Canada ran with 6 D in yesterday's Summer Showcase vs the US.

Parekh played 3rd pairing/1st PP. He's in tough to make the WJC team, as this is a tryout. Morin skated with Dickinson vs Finland Friday and looked good.

Dickinson and Andrew Gibson played top pair yesterday and are likely the front-runners for the WJC team.

Catton was the best player on the ice most of the time, putting the US on their heels.

Musty keeping up his goal/gm pace, but I'm uncertain if the US will keep him. He really hurt their feelings going to the CHL...just commenting on him. lol

1st line, 3rd line, all good...just no hotel incidents please/thanks 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

1st line, 3rd line, all good...just no hotel incidents please/thanks 

Fixed that for you. lol

He's a very intelligent kid.

Those are dumb jock moves. The kind of asshats that pick on the smart kids at school.

Scouts should always talk to their classmates for the real truth. Jocks can have their "clicks" that are Satoshi Nakamototy to others. That part seems to never change.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Fixed that for you. lol

He's a very intelligent kid.

Those are dumb jock moves. The kind of asshats that pick on the smart kids at school.

Scouts should always talk to their classmates for the real truth. Jocks can have their "clicks" that are Satoshi Nakamototy to others. That part seems to never change.

they give hockey jocks a bad rep. While the hockey world loves to tout how hockey people are good people, many of the people not in the community have experienced the "hockey jock."

• Like 1