John Bean Stepping Down as Flames President/CEO

sak22

Wish him the best, but can't say I'm disappointed by his decision.  Robert Hayes will be the guy taking over as President and CEO, with Lorenzo DiCicco on board as a COO, believe they are both new to CSEC.  

• Like 1

Not upset by this at all. Behind the scene I think Bean did a lot of good work but in the role he was put in I think he was awful. Trying not to speculate but this doesn't' feel like a "stepping down" situation, he just looked miscast from day 1 which is unfair to put on him. 

Not sure about the decision to pull a guy from banking to run a sport franchise. Obviously I don't know Robert Hayes but that's a big background leap. 

DiCicco played a big part of getting the Calvary FC to come to Calgary so that part is interesting. 

• Like 1

i have no issues with his background, he came from waste disposal (perfect for a rebuild).

But for the amount of time we've been rudderless I can't imagine any change of that position being a bad thing.

We need a CEO of hockey ops that can act on autonomy.  This business-side stuff affecting hockey decisions has likely prevented the Flames from having a deep and sustained rebuild.

All the best to John Bean though.  He had a big role to play on the Flames getting a new arena.  

11 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We need a CEO of hockey ops that can act on autonomy.  This business-side stuff affecting hockey decisions has likely prevented the Flames from having a deep and sustained rebuild.

All the best to John Bean though.  He had a big role to play on the Flames getting a new arena.  

I think the majority of small market teams don't make decisions for the deep sustained rebuilds you like. you look at a team like Carolina and think it was all a strategy, but I don't think it was Peter Karmano's plan to lose money for over a decade only to have the team turn the ship when he sells the majority stake.  I think you'll be looking for a long time to find someone willing to own (or run) a team in this market and say they are fine with not being competitive for an extended period, Calgary is a different ballpark from Carolina for sure, but they are closer to a Carolina than the Leafs or Rangers.  There was no strategy in Edmonton or Vancouver to be bad, just awful management who foiled in their attempts to be good.

36 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I think the majority of small market teams don't make decisions for the deep sustained rebuilds you like. you look at a team like Carolina and think it was all a strategy, but I don't think it was Peter Karmano's plan to lose money for over a decade only to have the team turn the ship when he sells the majority stake.  I think you'll be looking for a long time to find someone willing to own (or run) a team in this market and say they are fine with not being competitive for an extended period, Calgary is a different ballpark from Carolina for sure, but they are closer to a Carolina than the Leafs or Rangers.  There was no strategy in Edmonton or Vancouver to be bad, just awful management who foiled in their attempts to be good.

No strategy to enter it I agree but once the bottom fell out there was an intentional plan to be bad for a period of time of get high pick "Oil change" as we remember it. Not that it counters your point though because had the Oilers not won the Lottery for McDavid their future is quite different. 

I agree with what you are saying though. I don't think it's a coincidence that the teams that have done the type of rebuild being proposed by some here are the ones in the largest hockey markets (New York, Toronto, Chicago) who all have substantially more revenue then the Flames. I agree that an autonomous CEO is now what is going to change the mind of the owners because while I agree they should change some things, this is not exactly a prime market for a scored earth rebuild. 

Official release from CESC

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/calgary-sports-and-entertainment-corporation-announce-senior-executive-leadership-changes

Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation today announced changes to their senior executive leadership with the naming of Robert Hayes as CSEC’s new President and CEO and Lorenzo DeCicco as CSEC’s new Chief Operating Officer.

Hayes, originally from Halifax, NS, enjoyed a 35+ year career in banking, working throughout Canada and the US, the past 21 years in Calgary. He joins CSEC from his most recent position as Managing Director, Enterprise Strategic Client Group, Royal Bank of Canada. Very active with community involvement, he is past Vice Chair and current Audit Committee Chair, Calgary Economic Development as well as sitting on boards for the Calgary Film Centre, Calgary Prostate Cancer Centre, and Wood’s Homes Society.

DeCicco was a Founding Member and former President of Cavalry FC before assuming his current role as Chief Commercial Officer with MET Brand Agency and METROPOLITAN Fine Printers, in Vancouver, BC. During his time in Calgary, he was a Board Member with the Calgary Chamber of Commerce, Calgary Foothills Soccer Club, and the TELUS Community Board. While with TELUS, DeCicco also held the title of Senior Executive Vice President.

Outgoing CSEC President and CEO John Bean decided to step down after 14 ½ years with the organization. Bean made CSEC Ownership aware of his decision last year and has worked through a process to fill the roles of President and CEO along with the new Chief Operating Officer position.

Both Hayes and DeCicco will begin their new roles with CSEC on June 3, 2024.

As part of the transition, John Bean will stay on in a senior advisory role with respect to the design and construction of the new Event Centre.

23 hours ago, sak22 said:

Ya it's too bad though.  Not saying a deep rebuild is a guarantee to win the Cup but just saying, it's a necessary evil.  Hockey decisions would say so.  The business side of things, not so much.

It also depends on the year.  Some have McDavid, MacKinnon, Matthews, or even Makar at #4.  Meanwhile, Flames got Sam Bennett at #4.

As they say, time in the market is more important than timing the market.  Don't cheat and shortcut.  Spend the time there.  But easy for me to say since I don't pay the bills.

13 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya it's too bad though.  Not saying a deep rebuild is a guarantee to win the Cup but just saying, it's a necessary evil.  Hockey decisions would say so.  The business side of things, not so much.

It also depends on the year.  Some have McDavid, MacKinnon, Matthews, or even Makar at #4.  Meanwhile, Flames got Sam Bennett at #4.

As they say, time in the market is more important than timing the market.  Don't cheat and shortcut.  Spend the time there.  But easy for me to say since I don't pay the bills.

Sam Bennett is a good player, but in other drafts, where he plays in a lineup he should have been a later round pick. 

I agree, to let it flow naturally. They got lucky one year, played a horrible, nosediving  Vancouver team that was at the end of their runs and at the natural stage a team reaches before the writing is on the wall... 

They got lucky at drafting Peterson later... Got a deal on the Miller trade didn't they?