GDT - Flames @ Flyers; 06 January 2024; 11am MST; SN All Regions; FAN960

Storylines

Bet on a tight game between the Flyers and Flames on Saturday afternoon’s matchup

Saturday’s contest in Philadelphia projects to be tight

The Philadelphia Flyers will look for a rot-stopping win when they welcome the Calgary Flames to the Wells Fargo Center on Saturday afternoon. After a sparkling start to the campaign, Philadelphia has just one win in its last seven contests (1-3-3) and now finds itself in serious jeopardy of being pushed out of a playoff spot.

The Flames have started to trend up after a slow start and come into this game riding a three-game winning streak. Calgary is a slight -115 favorite at the time of writing.

Flyers vs. Flames prediction: Analysis

After a couple of middling performances to close out their recent road trip, the Flyers were pretty unfortunate not to get both points against the Blue Jackets on Thursday. Philadelphia ended up losing the game, 3-2, in a shootout, but the Flyers deserved a better fate as the expected goals finished 3.42 to 1.64 in favor of John Tortorella’s side.

But that is exactly what makes the Flyers an unappealing team to back as a heavy favorite. Philadelphia just doesn’t have the scoring talent to consistently payoff on the scoring chances they create.

The Flames are not all that different from Philadelphia. Calgary has more playmaking talent and more upside on their blueline than the Flyers, but the Flames have struggled to be clinical enough to get consistent results over the past two seasons.

Both the Flames and Flyers rank in the middle of the pack in terms of preventing scoring chances, but neither offense is a real threat to run rampant in this contest and all signs point to this being a pretty tightly played game with both teams looking to keep the game on script and predictable.

These two teams are no strangers to overtime -- the Flyers have gone past regulation 12 times and the Flames have done it eight -- and that’s a testament to their ability to hang around and also a knock against their ability to put teams away.

This matinee has every chance to turn into a rock fight and that puts plenty of value on betting it to be tied after 60 minutes.

- The Philadelphia Enquirer

Flames seeking another fast start against Flyers

Life on the road is suiting the Flames just fine as Calgary charges into Philadelphia with the Flames out to extend their winning streak to four games when they visit the Flyers for a Saturday matinee.

Calgary doubled up the Nashville Predators 6-3 on Thursday for their third straight victory — matching a season best. The Flames have won six of their last eight games.

Calgary is in the middle of a four-game road trip, which began with a 3-1 win in Minnesota on Tuesday and wraps up in Chicago on Sunday.

“The last couple of games, we’ve had some good starts, and it was a matter of time at some point we’d start scoring first, and we’ve been able to get out ahead on the road trip here, been able to hold on to leads,” said forward Blake Coleman. “It’s a lot easier to win on the road if you can get up early.”

With the victory in Nashville, Calgary is now 8-9-4 on the road this season and above .500 overall at 17-16-5 through 38 games.

“We’ve been in this situation before where we’ve got (to .500), and then we’d lose the next game, and we’d find ourselves having to dig out again,” said Flames coach Ryan Huska. “We want to try to gain a little bit of traction with stringing points together. It becomes important. The next game now becomes the most important game of the year for us.”

Coleman has five goals and seven points over his last five games, while forward Andre Mangiapane has chipped in five assists in five games. Coleman leads the Flames with 15 goals and 29 points in 38 games this season.

With defenseman Dennis Gilbert injured in Thursday’s win, the Calgary Flames recalled blueliner Yan Kuznetsov from the AHL’s Calgary Wranglers on Friday.

Saturday is the second of two meetings between the clubs this season. Calgary edged Philadelphia 4-3 to close out 2023 on Sunday.

The Flyers enter Saturday’s game following a 3-2 shootout loss to the Columbus Blue Jackets on Thursday.

Forward Travis Konecny, named to the 2024 NHL All-Star Game, scored twice to give the Flyers a 2-0 lead, but the Blue Jackets battled back to tie and scored the lone goal in the shootout for the win.

“At this point, they’re all pretty difficult,” said Konecny. “This time of year is where a lot of guys, for us, are learning, and it’s tough. Every game is going to be that way, and there’s no gimme. It’s a good point; we’ll take that, learn from it, and keep playing.”

Philadelphia, fourth in the Metropolitan Division, has dropped six of seven (1-3-3) and is 8-7-2 on home ice this season.

Konecny, who leads the Flyers with 20 goals and 35 points in 38 games this season, has four goals and eight points in his past five games. Forward Joel Farabee has six helpers in his past five contests.

“He’s a pretty good player,” Farabee said of playing with Konecny. “Obviously, he’s got an unbelievable shot, and he knows how to find those little areas. For me, I just try and use my legs, and if I have the puck, I’m usually looking for him or (Sean Couturier).”

–Field Level Media

To expect the unexpected shows a thoroughly modern intellect.

-Oscar Wilde

Go Flames Go!!!!

• Like 2

Just having my coffee and Baileys as we speak, I guess it will be a lazy day watching hockey games most of the day today.

A win for the Flames with the help of Conun's GDT and awesome it is , nice work...  this should be a great start today.

Go Flames, c'mon show some bite and play hard...

That’s not even a penalty imo. Lindholm was going to deliver a legal hit and York ducked. What is Lindholm supposed to do?

I get the result was bad but that’s more of an unfortunate outcome rather than an illegal action 

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

It's getting painful seeing young players getting injured by trying to avoid a check.

I know its been eons since I played anything competitive but we were always taught to brace for a check rather than try to dodge it. This was especially true for open ice hits.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I know its been eons since I played anything competitive but we were always taught to brace for a check rather than try to dodge it. This was especially true for open ice hits.

Always. I played net from 13 onwards. It's been that way always. Guys turning into the boards is suicide.

Get Kuz in and p[air him with a decent NHL defender.

You can't run a marginal NHL D pairing and expect them to defend well with the other team having last change.

If Kylington is back in 2 weeks or less, then fine.

Otherwise make a trade of some sort.

We have no depth on D this season.

We traded a 4/5 D and replaced him with AHL players.

On the plus side, TF the Flyers are lousy on the PP (or have bad luck).

The two goals were result of poor clearing plays or blocks not followed up on.

And yes, letting the other team do what they want in our zone.

PS. I like the Cowbell can.  Seems like it has cowbell when you have the can inverted.

What's the alcohol content for it?  Should be high test!

PPS.  Stop all that ruckus.  The girls are over.  LOL