GDT - Isles @ FLAMES - Saturday 18 November 2023 - 5PM MDT

8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

RD got us a point with the GDT.

Maybe we can tighten up the screws a bit.

Markstrom saved our bacon too often, but he's not perfect.

We make a mistake, he lets it in.

Mostly they would be HD chances served on a platter.

There was zero wrong with Markstrom's game. When you're focused on a puck battle in front of you, the last thing you'd anticipate is your own guy to lazily sweep the puck to the other team's best player in the slot. If he did nothing with it it would have been safer.

Really enjoying Rango's game. He's young so not mistake-free, but since day 1 it's apparent that he wants to play at an elevated pace. That was a good trade. Add in Suniev as a prospect, add in Toffoli would be yet another player on our relentless trade-rumour list right now, I'm really happy with that trade. Sharangovich understands D responsibility and he's only going to get better. That shootout goal highlighted a pretty high skill level. Almost made it look easy.

Poor Huberdeau looks terrified on breakaways.

Good game, good effort. Last year's Vezina finalist vs the year before's. It showed, they're very even. Sorokin got really lucky that a lot of pucks he didn't see hit him, but you've gotta be good to be lucky.

Hats off to the rookies again. It's always fun to see guys bring elements a team lacks. Talent level, previous stats, doubters and chatter...all of that goes out the window when you see how they approach their playing styles and see it's complimentary added elements to the team's overall game.

Can't wait for Pelletier, it's another added element to the big 'ol pot of chilli that makes it tastier.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

There was zero wrong with Markstrom's game. When you're focused on a puck battle in front of you, the last thing you'd anticipate is your own guy to lazily sweep the puck to the other team's best player in the slot. If he did nothing with it it would have been safer.

Really enjoying Rango's game. He's young so not mistake-free, but since day 1 it's apparent that he wants to play at an elevated pace. That was a good trade. Add in Suniev as a prospect, add in Toffoli would be yet another player on our relentless trade-rumour list right now, I'm really happy with that trade. Sharangovich understands D responsibility and he's only going to get better. That shootout goal highlighted a pretty high skill level. Almost made it look easy.

Good game, good effort. Last year's Vezina finalist vs the year before's. It showed, they're very even. Sorokin got really lucky that a lot of pucks he didn't see hit him, but you've gotta be good to be lucky.

Hats off to the rookies again. It's always fun to see guys bring elements a team lacks. Talent level, previous stats, doubters and chatter...all of that goes out the window when you see how they approach their playing styles and see it's complimentary added elements to the team's overall game.

Can't wait for Pelletier, it's another added element to the big 'ol pot of chilli that makes it tastier.

playing the rookies with 4th line plugs or guys who weren't NHLers really make them look like they don't belong, but playing them with legit NHL players show off their abilities. 

On other teams we always see a rookie break out and be placed on top lines and I always wonder why we almost never have that happen. But it's become painfully obvious it's a philosophy. Young players have to almost always start on the 4th line and prove they belong. 

I think no, play them in spots the can succeed and then see if they belong.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I think maybe you read too much into my comments.  Markstrom wasn't perfect.  4 goals is 4 goals.  I would say that the first goal he lost the net a bit.  That's really the only one I would even suggest he didn't like.

There's not much else to complain about with the effort.  The stupid giveaways cost us the game.  We got a point out of it because of the kids.  Markstrom saved our bacon on many occasions.  

Huberdeau was aweful at times, but he's shooting more.  5 shots.  His line managed 12 shots, and the kid line managed another 12.  Top line was a total of 3.  Dube lost minutes.  4th line avaeraged less than 8 minutes, with only Govich getting over 9.  Dube may have been suffering after a few cheap shots, but it seems some nights it's just better to start him lower and bump him to the top line if he's going.

I would bump Govich to the top line at the very least.  Mangiapane has shown little reason to believe he's a top 3 player, while Dube has maybe one game he has shown that drive.  Before the arrival of the kid line, we had Ruzicka able to play top 6.  It's fine that he's playing 4th line, but it's a waste at 7 minutes.    

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

playing the rookies with 4th line plugs or guys who weren't NHLers really make them look like they don't belong, but playing them with legit NHL players show off their abilities. 

On other teams we always see a rookie break out and be placed on top lines and I always wonder why we almost never have that happen. But it's become painfully obvious it's a philosophy. Young players have to almost always start on the 4th line and prove they belong. 

Sutter suggested that he only wanted to play top 6 prospects in a top 6 role.  But he did things that said that was BS.  The benching of Huberdeau was the closest thing to accountability we have seen.  When he's screwing up rushes and causing odd man rushes the other way, drop him to the 4th line.  

Last night we had Pospisil playing in the final minutes of play.  Zary was out there every chance they could try to use him.  Mange and Lindholm were doing squat, but they stayed at their usual minutes.  I would say in general that every mistake made was from a vet.  Markstrom made the vets look better than they were.  

17 hours ago, robrob74 said:

But we're at the point of very few plugs, so we can optimize 4 lines and no longer be chained to the aesthetic of labelling lines by minutes played. Have to manage rookie minutes, banged up guys etc, but truly run 4 lines. As opposed to a 4th line just having to play 0-0 for 6-8 minutes/night.

Having a 4th line of Pelts-Rosie-Rango, for me, only means we have line 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B and it's pretty interchangeable to who's bringing the heat.

I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm until we see it level out, but adding Rango, Pops, Zary and Pelletier(soon I hope) in place of Toffoli, Lucic, Lewis and either Ritchie is a huge shift in dynamic for how the Flames can line up.

I expect Pelts will have a Zary-impact although with different elements. Pops is finally another Coleman(with speed and better hands) player that will gnaw at whatever bone is laying around and harass their crease at every opportunity.

Rango has a rifle and thinks the game faster than most of the roster imho, is why I'd put Pelletier with him.

Now we need a dman that whose high end game is moving the puck, because we lack that.

I'm not too concerned with what they call lines 1-4. No one needs 20 mins/gm and no one is getting stuck at <10mins/gm consistently.

That would be a great deviation from what every other team calls, "running 4 lines".

It would be a lot of fun to see a team that doesn't really have to, "shorten the bench". lol Like that'll ever happen.

16 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I would bump Govich to the top line at the very least. 

I'm not interested. We spent all of last year breaking every line to fix one line. It was painful. Lindholm hasn't been great, so no point in moving the roster around for a player that needs to find his game. We've done that already, breaking up him and Huberdeau. The 4th line shouldn't end up being spare parts to bend over backwards for "stars" that are, really, not difference-makers. At least not in a good way.

We should likely start transitioning away from kow-towing to Lindholm regardless.

• Like 2