Head Coach

Ken Wells

9 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

The list begs the question how many times can you fire the coach because the players assembled under performed.

Every 2.5 years 😅

Long-lived coaches only happen with the right owners, gm, and players in place.

You wanna be an NHL head coach you are signing up to be the scapegoat

Latest from Friedman. Pascal Vincent (associate coach in Columbus) expected to interview and list cut down next week. 

10. Pascal Vincent, waiting on Columbus, will apparently interview in Calgary. I’d expect the Flames to cut down their coaching candidate list next week. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-the-real-question-facing-new-maple-leafs-gm-brad-treliving/

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Some humour here, but Johnny had his best year with Sutter. Babcock will get a lot out of him.

ya it’s a weird narrative because Gaudreau’s own dad admitted he plays best for coaches that are hard on him and demand a lot. 

It’s an interesting hire. Imo Babcock is very overrated as a coach and Columbus roster is still a mess. I don’t see Babcock as the type of coach who gets more out of what is there so I’m not sure I see this going well. 

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

It’s an interesting hire. Imo Babcock is very overrated as a coach and Columbus roster is still a mess. I don’t see Babcock as the type of coach who gets more out of what is there so I’m not sure I see this going well. 

This is obviously a message to the fans that they are serious.

We are getting Bedard and have Gaudreau, so now is the time to start winning.

39 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Personally I think Gallant for HC, fire Muller and hire Tanguay as AC to replace

Muller on PP and bring up Love as an AC on the PK and keep Huskka (sp?) as AC and the Goalie coach 

But why would Tanguay leave an AC job for an AC job on an arguably worse and aging team?

Particularly leave the team that just gave him an AC role last year?

Can't see it happening. Yzerman doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would appreciate that very much when he just agreed to make you a part of his new coaching staff last year.

Of course HC would be another matter, but Tanguay doesn't have the background for that as of right now.

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

But why would Tanguay leave an AC job for an AC job on an arguably worse and aging team?

Particularly leave the team that just gave him an AC role last year?

Can't see it happening. Yzerman doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would appreciate that very much when he just agreed to make you a part of his new coaching staff last year.

Of course HC would be another matter, but Tanguay doesn't have the background for that as of right now.

The reasons why Tanguay would consider it is Conroy and Iginla the fab 3 back together again…

not likely for the reasons you mentioned but totally possible, but still one can hope.

again my ideal coaching staff moving forward would be those guys but not likely to get all of them.

3 hours ago, MP5029 said:

The reasons why Tanguay would consider it is Conroy and Iginla the fab 3 back together again…

not likely for the reasons you mentioned but totally possible, but still one can hope.

again my ideal coaching staff moving forward would be those guys but not likely to get all of them.

The Wings are my other team.lol

I loved Gallant as a Wings player! Who doesn't love a guy that will score and throw down in most games?

Gallant the coach is pretty much a lone wolf though, rumour has it. That's why he gets released unceremoniously. He doesn't like to be told what to do. I'm up for anything though. Not really into recycling Tanguay and Iginla though. I prefer that their Flames reps stay intact without pushing the envelope. That's a PR move with lousy consequences if we suck.

6 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

The Wings are my other team.lol

I loved Gallant as a Wings player! Who doesn't love a guy that will score and throw down in most games?

Gallant the coach is pretty much a lone wolf though, rumour has it. That's why he gets released unceremoniously. He doesn't like to be told what to do. I'm up for anything though. Not really into recycling Tanguay and Iginla though. I prefer that their Flames reps stay intact without pushing the envelope. That's a PR move with lousy consequences if we suck.

So, it's down to the Flames and Rags for teams needing coaches.

Hear a lot saying we should contact Patty Roy from the Memorial Cup winning team.

All I remember about him coaching the AVS was the goalie pull with 4 minutes left in a game.

Maybe it wasn't him but was he the coach of that team that necessitated the off-side challenge rule?

I'd want no part of Roy and quite frankly I don't get the argument that the Flames should be interested. Wasn't that great the first go around and quit on his team in the summer after they started to take away his say in hockey ops decisions (mostly because he wasn't great at it). 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cross16 said:

I'd want no part of Roy and quite frankly I don't get the argument that the Flames should be interested. Wasn't that great the first go around and quit on his team in the summer after they started to take away his say in hockey ops decisions (mostly because he wasn't great at it). 

I wonder if some people believe that he's a great hockey mind from his time as a goalie.

Or the one time Jack Adams win.

Reirdon is a name not yet heard from in this process but a guy i believe they liked in the past and IIRC was a finalist when they hired Gulutzan. 

Currently an associate coach for Pittsburgh so if he is in the mix it's likely for the head coach and not another role. 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 8:43 AM, travel_dude said:

I wonder if some people believe that he's a great hockey mind from his time as a goalie.

Or the one time Jack Adams win.

It could be that he is a good coach but the problem I see is he feels his name recognition is worthy of more power than your average coach should have. 

not many coaches are worth that. I believe he is a very good hockey mind and perhaps if he was willing to just coach he could have success, but that doesn't appear to be the case. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Reirdon is a name not yet heard from in this process but a guy i believe they liked in the past and IIRC was a finalist when they hired Gulutzan. 

That’s a pretty solid list of finalists. I’d really be okay with any, including Green.

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

That’s a pretty solid list of finalists. I’d really be okay with any, including Green.

I feel a lot better with Reirdon in there. He's smart and I do think has the profile of someone who would be better with a second chance. I personally think your always behind the eight ball as a coach when your promoted from Assistant to Head coach on the same team. Doesn't help if your following Trotz. 

I get the interest in Green but i'm not a fan personally. Didn't think his Canucks teams were well run but he is another guy I think they've liked in the past so I do get it. 

21 hours ago, cross16 said:

I feel a lot better with Reirdon in there. He's smart and I do think has the profile of someone who would be better with a second chance. I personally think your always behind the eight ball as a coach when your promoted from Assistant to Head coach on the same team. Doesn't help if your following Trotz. 

I get the interest in Green but i'm not a fan personally. Didn't think his Canucks teams were well run but he is another guy I think they've liked in the past so I do get it. 

21 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Seems to be some buzz building that this is done and could be announced this week. 

I heard the same thing about when.  Latest is that Muller is out.  Down to the main ones including Love, Huska, Green, and Reirdon.  Thought I also heard Tanguay was still in there.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I heard the same thing about when.  Latest is that Muller is out.  Down to the main ones including Love, Huska, Green, and Reirdon.  Thought I also heard Tanguay was still in there.

Wings fans are talking like Tanguay is gone to the Flames, which I am assuming is premature, but they're generally pretty well-connected.