Matthew Coronato

Thebrewcrew

5 hours ago, robrob74 said:

It was Sutter that implied some young players had entitlement issues and one was definitely Dube in his round about way of describing them. Valamaki was a young player at the time as well. 

I am of the opinion that I would have taken time to develop Monahan, Bennett. Gaudreau was pretty much developed. 

Yes, which is part of the problem is it not?

I am so sick of his BS.

Didn't really help the team his first season.

The 2nd season was a top line exceeding all expectations and scoring most of the goals.

I guess his line about using prospects only applies to this year.

Were we not in a favorable spot last year?

What exactly would Monahan become with going to the AHL.

Would have had to stay in the CHL if not going to the NHL.

So, he starts in the AHL a year later.

Bennett was a weird one.

Looked ready his first year and had they continued support, he would have been better sooner.

Valimaki's injury derailed his development years.

Good enough to re-sign to an expensive contract.

Just not good enough for the coach.

Wasted his waiver year.

I'm on the fence about Coronato because I have not seen him in a NHL lineup.

A free game isn't going to hurt and frankly it's a good news story for the fans too.

Gauge where he is.  He sees what he needs to do.

Shows up at camp ready.

At some point the coach has to stop being a Richard to players.

Nobody gives a flying F if Lucic or Ritchie are in the lineup.

RobRob, you make good points, so don't think I am trashing you.

I just get tired talking about how we ruined players by not sending them to the AHL.

Some players are NHL ready because of the way they think the game.

Or because they are the size that means they are not going to benefit from lesser competition.

30 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Yes, which is part of the problem is it not?

I am so sick of his BS.

Didn't really help the team his first season.

The 2nd season was a top line exceeding all expectations and scoring most of the goals.

I guess his line about using prospects only applies to this year.

Were we not in a favorable spot last year?

What exactly would Monahan become with going to the AHL.

Would have had to stay in the CHL if not going to the NHL.

So, he starts in the AHL a year later.

Bennett was a weird one.

Looked ready his first year and had they continued support, he would have been better sooner.

Valimaki's injury derailed his development years.

Good enough to re-sign to an expensive contract.

Just not good enough for the coach.

Wasted his waiver year.

I'm on the fence about Coronato because I have not seen him in a NHL lineup.

A free game isn't going to hurt and frankly it's a good news story for the fans too.

Gauge where he is.  He sees what he needs to do.

Shows up at camp ready.

At some point the coach has to stop being a Richard to players.

Nobody gives a flying F if Lucic or Ritchie are in the lineup.

I was just reading an article that quoted Seravalli in regards to how the Pelletier thing went down where Sutter read the numbers off the game sheet. 

Sutter wasn't letting Pelletier know whether he was putting him in or not and three regulars went to Sutter and said the kid needs to let his parents know if he is in or not to watch his first game. Let the kid know! 

he finally agreed and seemed to respond the way he did because it wasn't his choice to put him in. 

another horrible story about how he treats his players.

I seem to think He has done it a few times already before that this year, where players could play in a home town or against family or something. I get you can never gift a spot. But sometimes that energy can help the team.

32 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

RobRob, you make good points, so don't think I am trashing you.

I just get tired talking about how we ruined players by not sending them to the AHL.

Some players are NHL ready because of the way they think the game.

Or because they are the size that means they are not going to benefit from lesser competition.

No offence taken. I get it. 

development is a tough thing and we all have theories on best practices and vary from player to player even.

I'm very cautious of Seravalli personally. There are 6 different ways to spin the same story, and how it is told depends on the person telling it. When he talks about Sutter I hear axe-grinding music in the background. He's earned the right for me to not trust him at face value, personally. He loves his clickbait stories.

Everyone talks about Sutter vs players. What I don't like is "reporters"(read:bloggers) that latch onto it because it gets clicks.

Take this story as an example. Seravalli is taking a very broad stroke of liberty here at concluding the story the way he chooses to tell it. So that leads me to question if he's being misleading with the entire thing. My gut would tell me that he is. He's drawing his own conclusion based on the way that he wants the story to read and, of course, again, what will get the most clicks.

I disagree with Sutter a lot to the point of frustration, but he's there everyday seeing what he sees and reacting as he will. I, like Seravalli, am not. But I, unlike Seravalli, recognize that.

So lets squeak into the playoffs and put this whole Satoshi Nakamotoshow of he said she said behind us. Entertain me with hockey, not rumours.

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

The AHL has a rule to prevent stacking the AHL team for a playoff run.  So there's like a roster freeze of sorts.  Can't add anyone to the AHL for the rest of this season.

If they really want the genz crowd they should take it a step further and just let all the teams win. 

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'm very cautious of Seravalli personally. There are 6 different ways to spin the same story, and how it is told depends on the person telling it. When he talks about Sutter I hear axe-grinding music in the background. He's earned the right for me to not trust him at face value, personally. He loves his clickbait stories.

Everyone talks about Sutter vs players. What I don't like is "reporters"(read:bloggers) that latch onto it because it gets clicks.

Take this story as an example. Seravalli is taking a very broad stroke of liberty here at concluding the story the way he chooses to tell it. So that leads me to question if he's being misleading with the entire thing. My gut would tell me that he is. He's drawing his own conclusion based on the way that he wants the story to read and, of course, again, what will get the most clicks.

I disagree with Sutter a lot to the point of frustration, but he's there everyday seeing what he sees and reacting as he will. I, like Seravalli, am not. But I, unlike Seravalli, recognize that.

So lets squeak into the playoffs and put this whole Satoshi Nakamotoshow of he said she said behind us. Entertain me with hockey, not rumours.

The source was Meredith.

I stopped listening to Servalli a long time ago.  He's a loud mouth snook.

Sarge at least has some inside knowledge, while I find Steinberg to just be a mouthpiece.

Just regurgitates what he hears from various people.

The joke about Hubey taking a crap and the what-number-is-he comment are the type of things Sutter thinks are harmless.  The humor is lost when people aren't 100% sure you are joking and the jokes are just insulting.  He insults the media at times for asking questions he thinks are beneath him to answer.  Phillips, line makeup, etc.  Some of the anger is justified.  But, what I fail to see how calling out a guy not scoring on chances helps.  Yet, he doesn't call out a goalie that has fallen to new lows.  Pretty quick to undersell a win by Vladar, since that's his job, he's the backup.

Sutter actually did Duehr a solid by letting him know when he would play, so that his fam and friends could make the trip.  Considering that Coronato is from NY, it might ne a nice thing that he gives him some idea of what game he might get in.    

15 hours ago, robrob74 said:

It was Sutter that implied some young players had entitlement issues and one was definitely Dube in his round about way of describing them. Valamaki was a young player at the time as well. 

I am of the opinion that I would have taken time to develop Monahan, Bennett. Gaudreau was pretty much developed. 

Think you need to take Sutter with a grain of salt when it comes to development. The Flames were terrible at it when he was the GM and he is a key reason why they wound up with such an entitled player in Phaneuf. I think it's ironic when he complains about entitlement because he had issues with that himself as the GM. 

Hindsight is 20/20 but we are quick to forget that Valimaki was fantastic in the NHL until he his hurt knee. It he didn't hurt is knee I think we are having a very different conversation about that player. 

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Agreed. He's a great trade insider but I feel the same way about how he approaches Sutter. Not sure why but he's coming across like he's got an axe to grind. Likely whoever his "source" is within the Flames is feeding him some anti Sutter stuff. 

I'm not sure he even has that good a source within the Flames considering he claimed he knew for certain changes are coming and then followed it up with "don't ask what or how" but they are coming. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Agreed. He's a great trade insider but I feel the same way about how he approaches Sutter. Not sure why but he's coming across like he's got an axe to grind. Likely whoever his "source" is within the Flames is feeding him some anti Sutter stuff. 

I'm not sure he even has that good a source within the Flames considering he claimed he knew for certain changes are coming and then followed it up with "don't ask what or how" but they are coming. 

The one that got me was him saying that if Sutter is fired, Muller would be the new Head Coach.

No thinks.  We have way better than that clown.

On 3/31/2023 at 10:56 AM, cross16 said:

Think you need to take Sutter with a grain of salt when it comes to development. The Flames were terrible at it when he was the GM and he is a key reason why they wound up with such an entitled player in Phaneuf. I think it's ironic when he complains about entitlement because he had issues with that himself as the GM. 

Hindsight is 20/20 but we are quick to forget that Valimaki was fantastic in the NHL until he his hurt knee. It he didn't hurt is knee I think we are having a very different conversation about that player. 

...and yet in that same timeframe he took our shared AHL players and formed the Abbottsford team so we did not have to have our prospects in a shared(with Chicago) team. I view that action as one of the biggest advancements for our prospects ever.

20 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

...and yet in that same timeframe he took our shared AHL players and formed the Abbottsford team so we did not have to have our prospects in a shared(with Chicago) team. I view that action as one of the biggest advancements for our prospects ever.

well to be fair all he was doing was correcting him original choice. The flames had their own farm team when he took the job (St John Flames) but he felt they didn’t have enough prospects to fill it. So to cut costs he advocated they get rid of it and then ended up sharing with Lowell. After a few drafts he felt they had enough of their own to re form their own team again and set it up in Omaha.  Didn’t move to Abbotsford for a few more years. 

decision was a business one more so than development based one. 

So, any predictions on if or when Coronato will play his first NHL game?

I don't think Sutter cares about the deal he signed.

He's only looking to win and won't change anything after a win.

5 of the last 10 games were against playoff bound teams.

We have 2 wins in that span.

I don’t think Coronato will play a game this year. The only scenario that’s every make sense to me is the last game of the year if it’s meaningless. 

I also don’t think that it matters near as much as its being talked about 

• Like 1

Funny how young players on other teams are getting their first goal on their 2nd game(McDonough for Van) for example.

Yet, Cgy Sutter keeps playing Looch, Nick, or Lewis who rarely score. Lewis is a great PK guy so I get that.

Let the kid play, it will inject some energy and skill!

• Like 4

22 hours ago, zima said:

Why don't they send the poor kid home to enjoy his new win fall I just don't understand why they even bothered having him come to Calgary just to get into some practices what a waist of his time. 

I think there is a lot of value in young players just being around NHLers. How do they approach the game, prepare both physically and mentally, what habits do they have. 

Can learn more from that they he will from a game or 2 IMO. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think there is a lot of value in young players just being around NHLers. How do they approach the game, prepare both physically and mentally, what habits do they have. 

I think there is a difficult balance with indoctrinating young players in the mindset and play and the use of them in end of season games.  If the coach feels this is too important to invest in a young player over one that has shown both good and bad, then I get it.  The chance of the newer player being a difference maker in a key game are small.  By the same token, the chance of a good/bad player impacting the game negatively are there.  

I give a lot of flack for 4th line players.  Being out there against a top line and getting scored on.

The coach has determined that he can get a draw out of their use, then so be it.

Against VAN, Lucic was on for 2 against and one for.

Against ANA, he was on for ANA tying the game, but then tied up the game.

In both games, we snatched victory from the jaws of defeat.

Shouldn't have to be there.

Long story short, if the kids show they are of the 12 best F in practice, don't hold them back.

Lose to CHI with the exact same lineup don't expect anyone to say we did our best.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

37 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think there is a difficult balance with indoctrinating young players in the mindset and play and the use of them in end of season games.  If the coach feels this is too important to invest in a young player over one that has shown both good and bad, then I get it.  The chance of the newer player being a difference maker in a key game are small.  By the same token, the chance of a good/bad player impacting the game negatively are there.  

I give a lot of flack for 4th line players.  Being out there against a top line and getting scored on.

The coach has determined that he can get a draw out of their use, then so be it.

Against VAN, Lucic was on for 2 against and one for.

Against ANA, he was on for ANA tying the game, but then tied up the game.

In both games, we snatched victory from the jaws of defeat.

Shouldn't have to be there.

Long story short, if the kids show they are of the 12 best F in practice, don't hold them back.

Lose to CHI with the exact same lineup don't expect anyone to say we did our best.

I also wonder, if this team rarely gets ready or games, aren't up to start a game, do we really want them to mimic those players?

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I also wonder, if this team rarely gets ready or games, aren't up to start a game, do we really want them to mimic those players?

Just don't think this is fair/accurate nor is it a Flames problem. This is the type of stuff that I think you get blinded to as a fan and assume it's a team problem when it really isn't. Happens to all clubs. I also don't think the Flames have had a reoccurring problem of staring on time this year, just looks like that way because their goaltending has been crap this year. Marty St Louis had a great quote on this, the league is an 85% league. Over the course of a season you generally going to get 85% of a player's best. Sometimes more, sometimes less but it isn't feasible to get 100% of every player on every game of every season. 

Plenty of good plays Coronato can learn from including Sutter the coach. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cross16 said:

Underrated comment. I'd go so far as to say that it is the #1 most important aspect for prospects that has killed many.

Getting in peak shape mentally and physically is one thing, staying there is a whole other thing. Mental fatigue and burnout are always ready to take over any high stress job.

We can jab at Lucic all we want, but that's a loooong career of overcoming a world of stress and why he is so well respected. Many, many many make up excuses.

He should move into player development for us.

45 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Underrated comment. I'd go so far as to say that it is the #1 most important aspect for prospects that has killed many.

Getting in peak shape mentally and physically is one thing, staying there is a whole other thing. Mental fatigue and burnout are always ready to take over any high stress job.

We can jab at Lucic all we want, but that's a loooong career of overcoming a world of stress and why he is so well respected. Many, many many make up excuses.

I dunno.  Imho they should be getting that in the AHL too.  If they're not, they've possibly got the wrong players in the AHL system.   For 99% of us, playing at an AHL level is far beyond our peak potential and those guys, for the most part, do all of this stuff you speak of too.    Sure there are a few players in the AHL who are all talent and no drive.  But they are not the majority.

I'm not trying to take this off on too many tangents, not trying to defend Sutter, etc etc.

Nor do I have an issue with the 7 day stint.  I agree it will do him good.  But it kind of stops there, I anticipate the best thing for his development to be at least 1 year in the AHL and we go from there.   

Agree on Lucic.  Just saying, as an example, he learned from his Dad who spent most of his time in the minors.    Since Lucic was brought up, I'd really like to see him stay in the organization after he hangs the skates up.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I may sound like I have a "beef" with Lucic.  His career arc is on the last part of the curve.  I am amazed he can still get down the ice as fast as I have seen.  That shows he is at least well conditioned.  When used right, he still has game. The coach is the one putting him in position to get burned.  And my anger towards coaching sometimes comes back on the player.  He has bad games, as does every player.  He's not the sole reason why we lose some games, but the coach is putting him out there when we need more than the voice of experience.   

Fans probably still remember the hit that knocked Duchene's bucket off.  That meme went around for weeks.  They probably remember the silver stick ceremony.  Punching out a few Oilers.  Good times.  Classy guy.    

Back to Coronato.  The kid will be in the NHL when he is ready.  Put him with Dube for how to approach conditioning.  Put him with Kylngton this summer (if he's back) to build core strength.  Get him with Toffoli for shooting drills.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I’m late to the party but couldn’t find the info any where. With Coronato’s ELC now signed, what are his or our options next year?

1. Can he return to Harvard? If yes, is he paid as being in the minors? 

2. Can he play in the AHL? Is he waiver exempt to be sent up and down throughout the year?