GDT - Sens @ Flames - 03/12/2023

pikey7883

5 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

I agree that we are seeing some good things that can hopefully continue next year. 
One thing I hope for next year is that 

Hubie - Lindy - Dube can please stay together 

I think Pelletier can play LW with almost anyone, so put him with Kadri and find them a big body winger who plays a hard game.

Sadly or luckily we can probably still have one of the best 3rd line in the league (maybe most expensive too)

Mang - Backs - Coles

Then it’s time for the youth and speed invasion.

Ruzie - Zary - Coronato

I know Duehr is playing right now, but I don’t think that is the 4th line we should be playing. 
For me Toffoli is the odd man out as good as he has been, just not what we need in our top 6.

You forget about Toffoli or traded him?

1 minute ago, The_Tribal Chief said:

I liked How Hubie Shot alot more actually Made our pp look more dangerous then it usually has cause there is more shot going to the net

I'm fine with the overall play of the top unit.

But we have seen more goals coming from the 2nd unit.

Toffoli, Backlund, Lindholm, Pelletier, Ras or Hanifin.

Think about it, the two top scorers are on the 2nd unit.

With Backlund and a rookie.

12 hours ago, pikey7883 said:

I agree that we are seeing some good things that can hopefully continue next year. 
One thing I hope for next year is that 

Hubie - Lindy - Dube can please stay together 

I think Pelletier can play LW with almost anyone, so put him with Kadri and find them a big body winger who plays a hard game.

Sadly or luckily we can probably still have one of the best 3rd line in the league (maybe most expensive too)

Mang - Backs - Coles

Then it’s time for the youth and speed invasion.

Ruzie - Zary - Coronato

I know Duehr is playing right now, but I don’t think that is the 4th line we should be playing. 
For me Toffoli is the odd man out as good as he has been, just not what we need in our top 6.

You mean a shooting mentality and clutch goals? 

I just dont see how getting rid of your top performer at what is becoming a value contract gets the team any further ahead.

5 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

You mean a shooting mentality and clutch goals? 

I just dont see how getting rid of your top performer at what is becoming a value contract gets the team any further ahead.

I don’t know if it gets us further ahead? For me the balance isn’t right, and he (for me), is the one that is not right for our lineup. 
I think he is a very good hockey player with a very good shot. But I don’t think the drop off to Dube is that far, and in my opinion, Dube plays a more complete game. Further to that, he cannot and should not play with Kadri, that is not the right mix either. 

First time all season I think the Flames put the hammer down on a team. Even deep into the 3rd period with a big lead they were pressing, high pressure, putting pucks on net, heck Tanev almost snuck down and burried one with seconds to go. 

I don't think Ottawa was good but the Flames were on it from the get go. Too little too late? We'll see but it makes it frustrating that you can see the potential in this team. 

11 minutes ago, cross16 said:

First time all season I think the Flames put the hammer down on a team. Even deep into the 3rd period with a big lead they were pressing, high pressure, putting pucks on net, heck Tanev almost snuck down and burried one with seconds to go. 

I don't think Ottawa was good but the Flames were on it from the get go. Too little too late? We'll see but it makes it frustrating that you can see the potential in this team. 

I am wondering if they can do the same thing in Phoenix.  We have seen them play a big game, only to play the opposite game the next.  I agree about putting the hammer down.  Normally we see them shut it down with a 2 goal lead.  We dropped to a one goal lead then got it back and kept going.  This was different.

I've given up on the playoffs, so a strong finish is really pointless.  Where was this all season long or when we needed the wins to grab a playoff spot and hold it.

4 hours ago, pikey7883 said:

I don’t know if it gets us further ahead? For me the balance isn’t right, and he (for me), is the one that is not right for our lineup. 
I think he is a very good hockey player with a very good shot. But I don’t think the drop off to Dube is that far, and in my opinion, Dube plays a more complete game. Further to that, he cannot and should not play with Kadri, that is not the right mix either. 

Toffoli should be with Hubie and Lindy. A pass first guy (actually playing on his proper wing) with 2 RS shoot first linemates seems like a natural fit. Kadri needs to go to a wing, he's crap in FOs, but he should be able to do well in the corners and in front of the net. Get him and Dube a good C and you might have something.

28 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Toffoli should be with Hubie and Lindy. A pass first guy (actually playing on his proper wing) with 2 RS shoot first linemates seems like a natural fit. Kadri needs to go to a wing, he's crap in FOs, but he should be able to do well in the corners and in front of the net. Get him and Dube a good C and you might have something.

I don't disagree.  We saw Ruzie play that way on the win with the other two. 

They scored and we weren't meshed that well yet.

Of we have to move on from Backlund, then bring in a RHS C and move Kadri to the wing.

Then try Ruzie between Mange and Coleman.

Then have a 4th line of kids. 

Crazy thoughts, but it would look like this:

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Toffoli

Kadri-RHS C-Dube

Mange-Ruzie-Coleman

Pelletier-Zary-Coronato

Not your traditional 4th line bangers.  You shelter them.

They are defensive enough to not get burned.

It's the new wave.  It gets ice time based on how well they play. 

Allows you to see what you don't need.

4 hours ago, redfire11 said:

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Toffoli

Kadri- Dube-Coleman

Mange-Ruzzie- Duhr

Pelletier-Zary-Coronato

Well, ya got me.

Trade off Coleman, which makes some sense.

I don't know if Dube is the answer at C, but he can just take draws there too.

My concern though is we need a high end center.

36 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Kadri was brought in as a 2nd line center and the Flames need him to successfully execute that roll. I actually have no issues with keeping Backlund. 

His next deal will be tough.  He has always been the bridesmaid.

Can we re-sign him is as important as will we.

If the choice is Lindholm or Backlund, what would you do?

Or Dube vs Backlund.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

His next deal will be tough.  He has always been the bridesmaid.

Can we re-sign him is as important as will we.

If the choice is Lindholm or Backlund, what would you do?

Or Dube vs Backlund.

No ? on taking Lindholm or Dube over Backlund. But in 2 years would have no problem reupping Backlund under 3m. 

23 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

No ? on taking Lindholm or Dube over Backlund. But in 2 years would have no problem reupping Backlund under 3m. 

If it was just going to be $3M for 3 years, I doubt many would have an issue.

Lindholm is younger and will comand more.

Dube hasn't put it together yet to get Mangiapane money, though maybe he is worth the same.

Next year's cap is going to be difficult to navigate.

Not enough to keep everyone already signed.

We can choose to make trades while players have value.

Hanifin, Backlund, Lindholm, Toffoli, Tanev, Zadorov and Kylington have a year remaining.

At least one of the first 5 have to go just to have money to fill the team.

Even if all it is is prospects.

Players with one year remaining will have value at TDL, but possibly in the summer.

Teams are building then and have to make the same tough choices as us.

Just letting go the pending UFA's doesn't make us any worse.

Maybe slightly better for addition by subtraction.

But that is 18 players left and $1.3M left to fill the void.

One of the worst times to make a GM change.

Maybe a better time to make a coaching change.

At least you might be able to identify the plan to get better, not we'll see.