GDT - FLAMES @ Sabres - Saturday 11 February 2023 - 10:30 am

travel_dude

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Markstrom turns in a 913 from a .334 start.

If he's going to continue to battle, then things could be looking up.

But I would expect Vladar to get the start against the SENS.

Expect it, but not confident the coach agrees.

Have to discect records against East teams.

I think Markstrom has sucked against OTT.

Last season Vldar shut out OTT, while JM let in 4.

Should be an easy choice.

Hopefully they can gain some confidence from that one.  But Buffalo looked like a team coming off a 9 day break, so it was hard to tell what the Flames were doing right vs the opponent not being in sync, we had the same issues on Monday but scheduling had us playing another team coming off an equally long break.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think Markstrom has sucked against OTT.

Last season Vldar shut out OTT, while JM let in 4.

Should be an easy choice.

Different teams, the shutout against Ottawa came when their lineup was depleted, the loss was the typical first game back from a long road trip with a 6 day break and not too long removed from a 3 week break.  If you play the last year rule than Markstrom should've started Detroit since he didn't give up a goal in 2 games.

12 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Hopefully they can gain some confidence from that one.  But Buffalo looked like a team coming off a 9 day break, so it was hard to tell what the Flames were doing right vs the opponent not being in sync, we had the same issues on Monday but scheduling had us playing another team coming off an equally long break.

agreed. These are tough games to evaluate. I do think the flames played pretty well but the game really was lopsided because the Sabres goalie was pretty bad. 

credit to the flames for taking advantage and I hope they can build off this 

confrats to Pelletier on a great first goal. Really nice to see that and nice to see Markstrom with some key saves. 

2 hours ago, sak22 said:

Different teams, the shutout against Ottawa came when their lineup was depleted, the loss was the typical first game back from a long road trip with a 6 day break and not too long removed from a 3 week break.  If you play the last year rule than Markstrom should've started Detroit since he didn't give up a goal in 2 games.

Ignore the previous year record then.

One goalie is 10-1-3 in his last 14, one being in relief.

One goalie is 6-5-2 and a no decision in his last 14 starts.

It a quandty, though, since you like to get a guy going.

But we shouldn't be making decision on trying to get a starter's confidence back.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Ignore the previous year record then.

One goalie is 10-1-3 in his last 14, one being in relief.

One goalie is 6-5-2 and a no decision in his last 14 starts.

It a quandty, though, since you like to get a guy going.

But we shouldn't be making decision on trying to get a starter's confidence back.

Markstrom's the starter, so let him start. Buffalo was mistake-riddled and their G isn't very good. Markstrom is still a starter.

The rough ride the fans give him is a giant eyeroll. No goalie is stopping Thompson's goal. Not even Vladar. The 2nd goal is playing the angle. If your dman isn't in the way, you come out farther. But everyone's an expert, if it came from 30' away you shoulda had it and nothing else matters. Cozens left alone on the doorstep would have been 2 goals on 2 shots. That would have been fun to listen to the fans. No chance, still his fault.

I still can't tell if Vladar is that good or if the fans just hate Markstrom that much. I lean the latter.

20 guys on the ice, but somehow 1 takes most of the heat. It's hard to watch.

On the plus, awesome for Pelletier and Gilbert. Dube gets rewarded for being one of the team's best players consistently, and Weegar is still hands down our best dmen.

GDTs get hard to be around fast when Markstrom starts. Everyone is ready to pounce, deserved or not.

52 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Markstrom's the starter, so let him start. Buffalo was mistake-riddled and their G isn't very good. Markstrom is still a starter.

The rough ride the fans give him is a giant eyeroll. No goalie is stopping Thompson's goal. Not even Vladar. The 2nd goal is playing the angle. If your dman isn't in the way, you come out farther. But everyone's an expert, if it came from 30' away you shoulda had it and nothing else matters. Cozens left alone on the doorstep would have been 2 goals on 2 shots. That would have been fun to listen to the fans. No chance, still his fault.

I still can't tell if Vladar is that good or if the fans just hate Markstrom that much. I lean the latter.

No different than the trashing Weegar, Huberdeau and Kadri get for trying to play a certain way.  

Markstrom is struggling this year.  Using one game to justify or contradict is pointless.

Whether Valdar is better or not, he is winning more lately with fewer goals against.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

No different than the trashing Weegar, Huberdeau and Kadri get for trying to play a certain way.  

Markstrom is struggling this year.  Using one game to justify or contradict is pointless.

Whether Valdar is better or not, he is winning more lately with fewer goals against.

But it isn't that. It's been a full throttle thrashing him playing behind a team full of ridiculous turnovers, dmen not clearing lanes so he can see the puck and scant scoring. But Markstrom needs that timely save he doesn't provide due to other critical errors. Lowest common denominator. Blame the goalie for the crap happening in front of him.

You can stat-comparison the goalies all you like, or you can just watch and see the better option.

There's a book on Markstrom. There will be one on Vladar as he gets more experience. He needs serious work covering the top of the net. He isn't a better option at this point.

He's a good backup understudy to a good experienced starter.

Like right now. Markstrom's teaching him that he'll always wear the goat horns regardless of the junk in front of him.

I prefer to stay against the grain of popular opinion, as opposed to playing along and spewing it.

It's funner to have faith.

11 hours ago, conundrumed said:

But it isn't that. It's been a full throttle thrashing him playing behind a team full of ridiculous turnovers, dmen not clearing lanes so he can see the puck and scant scoring. But Markstrom needs that timely save he doesn't provide due to other critical errors. Lowest common denominator. Blame the goalie for the crap happening in front of him.

You can stat-comparison the goalies all you like, or you can just watch and see the better option.

There's a book on Markstrom. There will be one on Vladar as he gets more experience. He needs serious work covering the top of the net. He isn't a better option at this point.

He's a good backup understudy to a good experienced starter.

Like right now. Markstrom's teaching him that he'll always wear the goat horns regardless of the junk in front of him.

I prefer to stay against the grain of popular opinion, as opposed to playing along and spewing it.

It's funner to have faith.

Look at the trade thread and the Blow it up one.  Fans are tired of losing.  The goals against in game threads are blamed on the goalie.  It's more than one thing leading up to the goals, but the last line of defense plays a part.  And if that part looks like a leaky glove or too many goals on too few shots, fans are going to focus on it.  That just brings back painful memeories of the Oilers series.  I could care less what Francis says about it.  The only two goals against were on the first 3 shots. perfect shots or not.  

Yesterday was a good step in showing that the game isn't in his head.  After the first two goals he didn't face much for two periods but wasn't rattled when the shots started coming.  Markstrom down and out is 100% compete and better to watch than deep in the net leaving massive holes.  Vladar is less likely to show that, since he is technical and moves with the angles.  Better or worse, who knows.  He has holes the book hasn't shown.  

Anyway, the point is to get the W's.  Who is likely to give you the best chance based on the game at hand.  Recency bias has to creep into that decision making process.  Given the problems we see with the team, which one can backstop them the best.  The Flames did something they hadn't done since the CHI game.  Get in a hole then lock it down and make a comeback.  Is the hole concerning or the play afterwards more indicative of just a bad start that needs support from the goal scorers.