Ruzicka playing less minutes

roumen

6 hours ago, roumen said:

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask one thing. How is it possible that Adam Ruzicka is still playing less and less minutes? He was putting up big numbers when rest of the team kind of sucked. it does not seem fair. 

Hello and welcome. That among others is one of the questions that is discussed around here quite frequently. Opportunities for the young guys, utilization of the veterans, goalie rotation, if theres an issue real or perceived it will be discussed. Stick around, its a pretty good place to discuss and vent.

As for your question directly........it boils down to a Sutter thing as far as anyone can tell.

Welcome.  

We all know Sutter wants to round out Ruzicka's game but he couldn't have picked a worse time to play Ruzicka on the 4th line because Ruzicka was scoring 20-points in 23-games.  Why not run with the hot hand since the team needs scoring?  Not like Huberdeau or Mangiapane has earned more minutes or anything.

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Welcome.  

We all know Sutter wants to round out Ruzicka's game but he couldn't have picked a worse time to play Ruzicka on the 4th line because Ruzicka was scoring 20-points in 23-games.  Why not run with the hot hand since the team needs scoring?  Not like Huberdeau or Mangiapane has earned more minutes or anything.

Lucic sits out then comes back to the 2nd line.

If there was issues with his play, sit him for a game and let him get hungry.

He deserves the 4th line as much as Lucic deserves the 2nd line.

In other words, it was 2 bad choices.

Ruzicka hasn't been on fire since being dropped down.

I'm not sur what the message is when you say to the hot hand, we need you to go to the 4th line.

We need to play Lucic since he was crap before sitting out 3 games (or whatever it was).

And maybe Sutter is seeing more than I am.  I have seen a few poor shifts, but the skills to do something are there.

He gets boxed in and can't do much with the puck at times, but he rarely makes a stupid decision with the puck.

Doesn't cross ice pass just inside the O zone.

Gets it deep if nothing is there.

The fact that Lewis is getting the chances shows that the passes are clean.

TBH, I hope Ruzie uses this as motivation to play his guts out for a shift.

Leave it on the ice.

Drive the net instead of passing to the vet.

I'm okay with Rozey's usage.

I was a fan of his with the Sting and he was always going to have an outside shot of being an NHLer. I wrote a long rant about it a long time ago that ended with, "dude, you can be a millionaire hockey player, you have to focus".

He's coming along really well. He's still just 23.

Fans love to stat-watch, but it's consistent play that will get him a long career, that's more important for us (and him) in the long run.

Our 4th line got a LOT better last year with Rozey at C. He's still growing into being a bonafide great NHLer and we have time.

Him and Dube aren't this year's saviours, it's not on them. What is on them is to be complete players as 26+ yr olds when they hit their prime.

I'm happy for the progress for both of them, it's a long road of hard work.

I've stopped really concerning myself with the usage of the young. Sutter's building them up so they can have long careers, not instant results for frustrated fans.

We've seen what Sutter can do with guys in their prime like Z and Gudbranson, they were borderline NHLers.

I don't think Sutter "hates" young/small players. I think he tries his best to make sure they have a chance at long careers for  the player's sake.

Rozie did an excellent job signing on for 2 years, one-way. That was a smart move.

It gives him ample time to be a difference maker and set himself up for a nice payday.

There is really no rush and for now, he solidifies the 4th line which he should take pride in. He doesn't have to be "the guy" right now. We have guys that are supposed to be. He's playing like a great apprentice right now.

In a few years, he'll be one of "the guys". Let his game grow into that. The top 9 have issues and they're almost all vets. Rozie isn't fixing everything by himself.

I love that he'll play a big role in the future and become a millionaire. Can't race young guys because your vets are under-performing.