2023 World Juniors Flames Prospects

Won't be a big contingent this year, but noticed today that William Stromgren was named to Team Sweden. His point totals have not been great this year but he is playing in the SHL. This will be a real interesting opportunity for a player who has a lot of raw skill. 

Topi Ronni is expected to make Team Finland but that isn't official yet. 

Likely will be just the 2 as others are either not eligible or not on the radar. Beck was at Team Canada's summer camp but wasn't on the selection camp roster (likely due to the fact that he's again missing a lot of time with injuries)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

How many Elias Pettersson's are there in Sweden?

We have our own version of it with MEP.

VAN drafted another one with the same name as their star.

Too bad about Beck.

He has been derailed with injuries too often.

Probably less than Jack Hughes in the US.

• Like 1

Is it okay to use this thread as WJC in general?

I kept quiet that I privately call Sting goalie Gaudreau "the sieve". I was shocked when he was announced even to the tryout.

Happy he's there as I prefer the Sting's backup.

Not blaming him for the goals, but look at his reactions. He deflates instantly and you know more are coming. That attitude has him regressing since he was 17. It's been happening all of last season and this season. I've been saying, "if he lets in 2, he'll let in 6". I'm amazed that no one has addressed that with him.

Czechnia looks great, the gap has narrowed.

CBJ has both Dmen Jiricek AND Svozil. I'd say that's their future 1 & 2 dmen.

I'm quietly cheering for them to win the group now, they look dangerous.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Is it okay to use this thread as WJC in general?

I kept quiet that I privately call Sting goalie Gaudreau "the sieve". I was shocked when he was announced even to the tryout.

Happy he's there as I prefer the Sting's backup.

Not blaming him for the goals, but look at his reactions. He deflates instantly and you know more are coming. That attitude has him regressing since he was 17. It's been happening all of last season and this season. I've been saying, "if he lets in 2, he'll let in 6". I'm amazed that no one has addressed that with him.

Czechnia looks great, the gap has narrowed.

CBJ has both Dmen Jiricek AND Svozil. I'd say that's their future 1 & 2 dmen.

I'm quietly cheering for them to win the group now, they look dangerous.

Maybe it's me, but I find Canada wins in spite of goaltending not because of it.

More likely to lose as a result of that.

Gaudreau reminds me of the pick where you look for a goalie and he's all that's left.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Maybe it's me, but I find Canada wins in spite of goaltending not because of it.

More likely to lose as a result of that.

Gaudreau reminds me of the pick where you look for a goalie and he's all that's left.

He's capable of making big saves, but he gets rattled incredibly easily. He seriously needs to get angry when he gives up a goal. He doesn't at all, you can see it in his body language. Then it's, "oh dear god, here we go". Should be pulled after giving up 2 because it'll turn into 6 awfully fast.

I don't understand why it's never been addressed. Sarnia NEVER pulls him. 5-1 leads turn into 7-6 losses when he gives up the 2nd goal.

I'm feeling for Slovakia, man, they are right there with Finland. A weak goal by Lambert with the Slovak goalie playing the angle terribly.

A great play by the Finn dman stopping a sure goal, a massive save by the Finn goalie. This thing should be 4-4, waaaay closer than the 5-2 score dictates.

Literally a game of inches.

GREAT hockey.

And as I always say, this tourney should have zero impact on draft climbers, fallers and drafted prospects rankings.

But of course, it does, for no reason.

It's just a tournament.

But I am loving the underdogs being feisty. The gap is seriously closing on the constant favourites.

And there's MacKenzie spouting, "the NHL draft storyline" that no NHL team should follow in one tournament.

They make it a storyline that shouldn't exist.

But sure, have at 'er. Individual performances on throw-together teams. And Bedard is the consummate "generational" with his teammate-blind 1 vs 4 rushes. Yeah okay.

That's going to go over well in the NHL. /s

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

If I could cheer for a guy to make the NHL with either the Wings or the Flames on name alone.

The only Wings prospect in the tourney is at 1g, 1a through one game.

Red Savage.

How can you not cheer for that name?

AFter we passed on Stany, I thought for sure we would draft Red.

Not that our picks suck, but we seem to pass over the guys that have good season and D+1 have really good ones.

Savage not so much, but he's trending well this season.

Czechs were good. I mean I think with better goaltending and some puck luck Canada wins but the Czechs still were right there. They didn’t have a weak link, forecheck really well and got in lanes. They’ll be a factor in this tournament I think. 

Canada really needs to refocus in a hurry. 

14 hours ago, cross16 said:

Czechs were good. I mean I think with better goaltending and some puck luck Canada wins but the Czechs still were right there. They didn’t have a weak link, forecheck really well and got in lanes. They’ll be a factor in this tournament I think. 

Canada really needs to refocus in a hurry. 

Germany lost 1-0 to Sweden, so we'd best play like a team rather than a bunch of individuals real quick-like. Starts with Bedard. Dude, be a teammate, cut the 1-on-4s. It's gotta be frustrating for your linemates. Like, "why am I here, Superstar"?

I have to say, watching him frustrates me and always has. Great players make everyone around them better, he's a solo act.

This isn't the Regina Pats, you don't have to do it alone, you'll fail.

I didn't see quite the same in Bedard myself. Perhaps a little too much when they got down by 3 but up until then I thought he was making things happens for his teammates. 

I just don't think Canada was well prepared for that game and when the Czechs came out with a heavy forecheck it put them on their heels. They seemed to get it going up until the disallowed 2-0 goal and then were never the same after. Tend to agree with TSN here that I think they were guilty of reading their own press clippings about how this is supposed to be the greatest World Junior team every. Which is crazy to me because honesty this blueline is not that great, nor is their goaltending. They've got firepower sure but they are going to have to compensate for their blueline. 

If they can find their stride I think they'll be dangerous but this team has flaws for sure IMO. 

14 hours ago, cross16 said:

Definitely looking forward to them playing Sweden tomorrow. Should be epic. And the Swiss at 2-0. See how they fair vs the US tomorrow.

There are some nice storylines rather than the usual knowing who will win up to the semis.

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I didn't see quite the same in Bedard myself. Perhaps a little too much when they got down by 3 but up until then I thought he was making things happens for his teammates. 

I just don't think Canada was well prepared for that game and when the Czechs came out with a heavy forecheck it put them on their heels. They seemed to get it going up until the disallowed 2-0 goal and then were never the same after. Tend to agree with TSN here that I think they were guilty of reading their own press clippings about how this is supposed to be the greatest World Junior team every. Which is crazy to me because honesty this blueline is not that great, nor is their goaltending. They've got firepower sure but they are going to have to compensate for their blueline. 

If they can find their stride I think they'll be dangerous but this team has flaws for sure IMO. 

As I said above, I am shocked Gaudreau was even invited. I have seen him a ton. I was kinda happy that Surzycia gets a bunch of starts for the Sting because he's better in my eyes. Gaudreau is about 30-70 in being really good and ripping your eyes out. When his confidence leaves after 2 GA, he forgets how to goalie. He is massively frustrating to watch. I've seen this more times than I care to remember. There is a point where he lets in everything. The bizarre part is Sting coach Alan Letang is an Asst Coach for TC. If I know this he damn well does.

• Like 1