GDT - FLAMES @ Oilers - Saturday 15 October 2022

rocketdoctor

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Pulled the game back in the 3rd which is nice. Lots to like but also a lot to work on, namely d zone play at 5 on 5. 

The 2nd was hard to watch.

The pairings looked a bit off at times.

Mostly I think it was support from the F.

At times, the 4th line looked good and very bad.

Would like to see them insert Ruzicka on the 3rd line.

Lewis just down't do it for me.

Has a couple of good shifts, but nothing to really talk about.

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Agreed, Rosie should be in the next game. Lewis is very limited in his play, be it age or skill set.  I actually thought the team played fairly well.  It would make sense that the forwards would seem to be off at times.  Oilers are a super-fast transition team.  If they get the cycle going , it’s going to cause everyone to play a certain amount of catch-up to the play.  To the Flames credit, they did not allow the Oilers a lot of leeway to pull that speedy transition game. McDavid was given very little net presence for space.  He predominantly had to work from the outside.

Vladar had a great game.  He was solid in nets, especially in the last 5.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

"The 2nd was hard to watch.

Has a couple of good shifts, but nothing to really talk about."

I agree.

I've liked Ruzicka since he was drafted in the 4th round and I think he'd improve his overall game playing with veterans Backlund and Coleman.

He is listed as a Left Shot C/RW, but like so many European players he has no issues playing on his "off wing".

Right now, he has to gain more of Sutter's trust or have Lewis sustain an injury.

Fun game to watch.

Some early season errors again but nothing that can't be worked on and fixed. Most were learning the system and positioning mistakes.

There was an article about Oilers having a meeting about needing effort from all... Got to wonder if there is some problems in the room to be having those types of meetings this early in the season.

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Let Lewis center the 4th line.   Rooney seems a bit off at the moment.

But yeah happy to bring Ruzicka into the wing on the 3rd line.

1 hour ago, rocketdoctor said:

Let Lewis center the 4th line.   Rooney seems a bit off at the moment.

But yeah happy to bring Ruzicka into the wing on the 3rd line.

Agreed…

also it’s really nice to see Stone having a great start, hope he keeps it going…Stone has been really good since the post season and has carried it over to start this year, when Kylington is back it’s gonna be a hard call to take out stone. The whole

D group seems really solid and also seems

to be getting better each game.

loving how mobile this D core is now, they make almost any forward a threat on the ice and although early you can it’s gonna be a fast transition to attack with any one of the D being a threat to score too.

I do wish we had some better wing depth on the 2nd line and the 4th line was a bit better…I’d rather see Ruzi in over Rooney, Lewis or Ritchie I think Sutter is spot on though Rooney is still finding his way, not a liability on the ice but you get a sense there is more he can do 

having a said that some of the chemistry is still building, so it’s hard to say how good this team will be up front, fortunately the G and D are solid and keep getting better too, if the chemistry starts to click and seems there are spurts of it already, this could very easily be one of the best teams again…not so much from star power but from a more balanced team top to bottom 

Loved the 1st period, 2nd was to much on their heels for me, for me its play the same way that got you the lead for 60. They did calm it down in the 3rd. There are some things to work on poor positioning, clearing attempts out of the zone, more cohesive 5 vs 5. Hubie still to  me looks to be playing to cautious which is creating some issues. Weegar better today but still was getting caught pinching to much, never got burned but still he loves to jump into the play. Forwards are going to either have to read the play better to cover or he is just going to have to not take the chance. This was a very good win against a group that mostly played together. Have to like Stone give the guy some credit he has been solid through 2 games. Agree with the Lewis assement, he is great Defensivley but not so great offensively. There are some things that need to be addresses still but as I mentioned before, When we get it gelled we will be a very good team. 

My 3 Stars

1) Kadri ( by far the best forward)

2) Vldar

3) Stone 

The faceoff losses were glaring.

Awesome depth at C, but winning faceoffs wasn't there.

Any time you gift the top line with a free play, they are going to do something.

The 2nd was a short bench and it stayed that way.

The top 2 players played more than the top 2 D.

23 and 25 minutes in a regular season game.

Shows just how shallow their depth is.

Rooney is finding his way.

Using Ruzie there might do something, but I think it's better to look at top 9.

Lewis was always best helping Lucic.

It's a clunky line at best, but Ritchie isn't really an every day player.

Swap him out and use Lewis there.

Get Ruzie in with Backlund.

He may not be 100% comfortable there, but he adds options for Backlund.

Improve his 2 way game.

• rocketdoctor changed the title to GDT - FLAMES @ Oilers - Saturday 15 October 2022