GDT FLAMES @ Sharks - Thursday 7 April 2022

rocketdoctor

Gaudreau ties his best season ever.

Now 99 points, worth 9.9M.

Tkachuk 34 goals and 89 points.

Lindholm 38 goals and 73 points.

Mange stuck at 30.

Strangely enough Mange's SH% is still 18%.

That's high normal.

Vladar really impressed me.  Was a weird goal off a skate, then the 2nd one deflected in.

Everything that came near him was stopped otherwise.

It was one of those games I felt Vladar was the only one that could get the win.

Just felt that way.

Cali was good for us.

Go Flames Go!

Mackey looked solid all night.  My first choice as back up D.

Not liking the Stone / Valimaki pairing.  Think Valimaki would look beetr with Tanev.

Lewis impressed again tonight.  Been a great pick up.  Thought Riticie and the 4th line had as stong game nice to see Lucic really involved again.

Great 2 ponts.

Oh and a midnight game on Saturday - luxury

I thought both young dman played well given the circumstance. Mackey with a safe/controlled game, Jusso had some flashes but some errors too. Thought Stone had a tough game but overall I think you have to feel pretty good with your D depth if you are the Flames. 

Vladar was very solid. Hope to see a few more games down the stretch. 

I'm really liking the 4th line of Lucic-Carpenter. Thought they were really good and physical down low in the Shark zone to extend possession. What you want out of your 4th line. 

Hard to say much more about how good the top line is. 

Flame need to find a 2nd line though. Lines 2/3 are doing some good things and extending possession/controlling the game which does wear down the other team, but they need to start creating some better quality scoring chances. Flames need to get Jankrok healthy to start seeing what they have in their middle 6. 

31 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I thought both young dman played well given the circumstance. Mackey with a safe/controlled game, Jusso had some flashes but some errors too. Thought Stone had a tough game but overall I think you have to feel pretty good with your D depth if you are the Flames. 

Vladar was very solid. Hope to see a few more games down the stretch. 

I'm really liking the 4th line of Lucic-Carpenter. Thought they were really good and physical down low in the Shark zone to extend possession. What you want out of your 4th line. 

Hard to say much more about how good the top line is. 

Flame need to find a 2nd line though. Lines 2/3 are doing some good things and extending possession/controlling the game which does wear down the other team, but they need to start creating some better quality scoring chances. Flames need to get Jankrok healthy to start seeing what they have in their middle 6. 

Ruzicka sent down with Ritchie activated.  Too bad, but at least we saved regular callups for now.  Only Mackey used as one as far as I can tell.  Sutter isn't really talking about the missing men, other than to say illness or banged up.  Valimaki is there as long as somebody out.  

I found the middle 6 to be really up and down last night.  I don't think the Backlund line is working out.  Lewis filled in okay on the 3rd line, but think he's better for the 4th line.  Ritchie is a banger and fine to have him in against lower seeded teams, but should not be considered a daily player.  He played well enough, but just saying.  I think they need to go back to something that works better.

This may come off as anti-Backlund, but really I think it's the line more than anything.  He just doesn't seem to have chemistry.  I thought it was a down game for him and his play was bad IMHO.  2 times on the PK he had possession and gave it up too easy.  On the offensive side, only his rushes where he carried the puck in were good.  Missed passes etc.  Have to find a better mix than Mange and Toffee.  Think they need to go back to Coleman and someone else.  Maybe Dube? 

Have to get Jarnkrok back to see if a line of Mange-Jarn-Toffee has anything.  Having little from your middle six is making things too close.  I give them a little slack for the 3 in 4 schedule and the tough travel in Cali to get to SJ.   

My bad, if this sounds negative.  For a game on the end of a difficult trip though Cali, they did well.  Missing 3 guys.  Getting the backup up to speed.  A team we haven't beaten yet.  Similar meltdown in the game to the last one against SJ, but kept it from being a story.  Johnny was spectacular in his defensive play.  He was stripping the puck on the backcheck or in the D-zone.

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

My bad, if this sounds negative.  For a game on the end of a difficult trip though Cali, they did well.  Missing 3 guys.  Getting the backup up to speed.  A team we haven't beaten yet.  Similar meltdown in the game to the last one against SJ, but kept it from being a story.  Johnny was spectacular in his defensive play.  He was stripping the puck on the backcheck or in the D-zone.

Sounds accurate to me TD and not negative at all. 

I’d say we’ve been absolutely blessed to watch the flames play hockey the way they have this season.