Vegas hopes Lehner, Stone return for playoff push.

redfire11

Just now, The_People1 said:

Who is the best bet to upset the Avs first round?

Dallas. I feel like they haven't hit their stride yet with the sked mucking them up a lot. I also think they have a roster that has a good chance this year to make some noise. A bit of everything and a young goalie that is better than Avs goaltending already. Oettinger is a future Vezina candidate imo.

Dallas was just in the finals 2 years ago, and they're better on paper now.

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Most likely teams to get WC2?

Dallas, Nashville, STL, Vegas, with an outside chance for either LA or EDM ending up there.

Best matchup?

STL would give COL fits.

Nashville has the defense and goalie to make a long series.

Dallas, no idea.

EDM, no chance for EDM.

100% cheating/healthy Vegas - tough to call. 

32 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I can only make a case for St Louis (but they'd have to fall back), Vegas or Winnipeg. 

I think in order to beat Colorado your going to need speed, sneaky scoring depth and your goalie is going to have to steal the series. Those are the only 3 teams that have the pieces to do that IMO.

I think it might be too little to late for Winnipeg but if they get it I think Hellebuyck makes any series a possibility for them. 

20 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

If Heiskenen gets back from mono, this is a really good lineup.

I wanted us to get Namestnikov, he was virtually the same price as Carpenter and he's waaay better.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/dallas-stars/line-combinations/

No doubt he was a better player for the same cap.

We had the 4th tied up to the Toffoli deal, but the chances of us having a top 10 pick are almost nil.

I'm not sure that he would do well in the West.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I wanted us to get Namestnikov, he was virtually the same price as Carpenter and he's waaay better.

I have kept an eye on Namestnikov since his TBL days. That said I don't see him succeeding under Sutter as he plays a soft game. He has finish and finesse which I think the Flames have already. He could possibly help the PP but don't see him as a roll player on the 3rd or 4th line. That saying don't know much about Carpenter. 

If Vegas was to play Dallas or StLouis and win , not sure how much they would have left for the next series.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Dallas/Nashville/St. Loo seriously have to fall apart for Vegas to make it.

It's less a question about them winning a WC spot as pushing out a team like EDM or LA.

LA - 84 points - 28 RW - 70 games played

EDM - 83 points - 31 RW - 69 games played

VGK - 80 points - 31 RW - 70 games played

The three teams have bascially all caught up the games in hand.  3-4 points in nothing to take for granted either way.

EDM plays 7 games on the road, including the Cali trip, Minny, Nash and Pitts.  Th home games include COL, Dallas, and Vegas. One B2B to finish the year.

Vegas plays VAN 3x, ARI, NJ, CHI and SJ.  A couple of tougher games against CGY, Dallas, WAS and STL.  And a 4 pointer against EDM.

LA plays CGY, EDM, Minny, CHI, COL, then finishes with non-playoff teams CBJ, ANA x2, CHI, Seattle and VAN.

Good on EDM for getting two wins, but they were anything but playoffs hockey.  High event, higher than average scorng, oppinents in a B2B situation, 3v3 OT and SO.  They hold a top 3 due to winning 9 in a row at home.  Away record not so great.  Last 6 games on the road they have only have poinst in two games, both OTL.  You listen to the comments and the fans believe they are playoff bound.  No question.  I'm not so sure.  The next 7 games in two weeks will decide their fate.  6 on the road.  One at home to the AVS.  Two of the road games are 4 pointers in the Pacific. 

It's no cake walk regardless of who we get.  It's likely to be a Central team.  A 2nd round matchup would be the winner of the other Pacific matchup.  I don't know if it's possible to get a Central team, but I will illustrate below what might happen.  If we had the matchup based on projected standings (points %):

R1

COL vs Dallas (DAL wins)

CGY vs NAS (CGY wins)

Minny vs STL (MIN wins)

EDM vs LA (EDM wins)

R2

CGY vs DAL

EDM vs MIN