GDT FLAMES @ Canucks - Saturday 19 March 2022

rocketdoctor

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Well, the thing is that we were executing, just not finishing.

If we had not gotten chances, then I would be more worried.

Sutter actually enjoyed the game, and a 3v3 win is nothing you see in playoffs.

i don’t think they were executing until the 3rd 

6 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Sutter looking like a magician with the line shake ups.

Chucky lot more engaged tonight.

Shame about the 2 late goals we gave them.  Vladar looked pretty solid tonight.

Go Flames Go!

Great adjustment.  Somebidy noted after the Buffalo game that they were clogging the center.  Cutting off our entries ..  sign of a great coach is adjust to what teams are game planning.👍

Saw it most on the Anderson entry.. Canucks were totally defending a bump back and he caught them flat footed by carrying it through 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

670dfc553f94df6d71ff5c27697e1fd1.png

they were hemmed in pretty bad with two icings (I think). They didn’t get scored on those ones. 

Those are shifts where experienced goalies might control a rebound and cover the puck, or a mask gets hit by a puck and comes off, or he aggressively goes post to post to knock the net off. Not the same but Demko knocked his net off doing that on a Tkachuk shot that hit the post.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

they were hemmed in pretty bad with two icings (I think). They didn’t get scored on those ones. 

Those are shifts where experienced goalies might control a rebound and cover the puck, or a mask gets hit by a puck and comes off, or he aggressively goes post to post to knock the net off. Not the same but Demko knocked his net off doing that on a Tkachuk shot that hit the post.

There really wasn't an opportunity to cheat or cover the puck.  When we managed to touch the puck, it was given right back.  The icing didn't help.  I saw a lot of Lucic trying desperately to do stuff but he's slow on a good day.  The only good thing was that it wasn't the entire 4th line and 3rd pairing out there.  

Even after the 3+ minutes on the ice, Guddy managed to lay the body setting up Toffoli for a perfect pass to Lindholm.  Weather the storm and kill the spirit.  

There were several shifts where we owned the Nucks.  Got changes and dominated.  The lineup changes were to freshen things up, since Sutter thought the top guys were looking a bit stale.  Not that it should stick, but it put people in places they have been in before, for the most part.  Toffoli used to being on top PP unit, so there is chemistry there.  Dube, Tkachuk and Backlund have played together and especially the latter two.  Mange and Coleman.  4th line.

The important thing was for the team to avenge the loss and to get back to scoring.  Demko was the perfect test, since scoring on him wasn't just an easy shot.  No garbage goals, but we didn't need to go there. 

The other thing I will mention about the game is that this was one the Nucks needed to look good in.  A win or OTL would have gone a long way in helping the GM decide if they were sellers or go for it.  The only thing the Flames needed to do was get off the schnide and show that the SO loss to Buffalo was a one-off.

It's good to beat the Nucks, but we have other teams to worry about this week.  SJS and ARI/EDM B2B.  A light schedule over the next two full weeks.  Only 6 games and all at home.  Lots of time for practice.  The SJS game is a bit of a concern, though it's after TDL, so SJ might have less tools.  EDM at the end of the week, but we are at home.  Crush their spirit.  They are a bit healthier, but only win if they outscore their problems.