IIHF 2022 World Junior Championship

conundrumed

Hearing some wayward thoughts that Shane Wright should be lighting up the tourney. I figured Power, McTavish and Perfetti would, personally.

Wright will stand out more as the competition increases, but it's still the 3 I mentioned that are actually the leaders.

Detroit D prospect Sebrango is really impressing me too. Scary that he's around 3-4 on their D prospect list.

As much as I don't put much stock in this tournament for draft rankings, is it fair to look at drafted players and rate our scouting?

Not sure it is. But when I do, it doesn't look great. Mind you Kuznetsov SHOULD be on Russia, but they got weird about their NA stock.

Garand is interesting. Canada's #1 G, we took Chechelev before him. But in fairness, can see this in a bunch of teams.

Detroit C Niederbach is interesting playing for Sweden. We took Kuznetzov just before him. Same draft we took Boltmann at 80. Fla took Canada RW Sourdif, who has been near a ppg RW in the dub since 16.

Not jumping to conclusions, but am I being fair?

56 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

As much as I don't put much stock in this tournament for draft rankings, is it fair to look at drafted players and rate our scouting?

Not sure it is. But when I do, it doesn't look great. Mind you Kuznetsov SHOULD be on Russia, but they got weird about their NA stock.

Garand is interesting. Canada's #1 G, we took Chechelev before him. But in fairness, can see this in a bunch of teams.

Detroit C Niederbach is interesting playing for Sweden. We took Kuznetzov just before him. Same draft we took Boltmann at 80. Fla took Canada RW Sourdif, who has been near a ppg RW in the dub since 16.

Not jumping to conclusions, but am I being fair?

What I find frustrating about our scouting is it seems that we only ever really pick from North America.

You see a lot of European players looking really solid in the WJC.

It seems like the scouts here only ever stat watch.

Euro leagues are far less impressive for scoring etc.

And we tend to stay clear of Russian forwards.

14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

What I find frustrating about our scouting is it seems that we only ever really pick from North America.

You see a lot of European players looking really solid in the WJC.

It seems like the scouts here only ever stat watch.

Euro leagues are far less impressive for scoring etc.

And we tend to stay clear of Russian forwards.

We have 1 prospect playing SHL(borderline) in Stromgren. But the SHL is a goldmine of talent. Do we not have enough eyes in Scandinavia? We seem awfully blind to Sweden and Finland yet there is a wealth of great players there. At first glance, it seems we don't have enough eyes on the talent there. And it's Scandinavia. Exact same climate/attitudes as Canada. It would only make sense. Perhaps the scouts get a different directive there on what to look for. But other teams are way ahead of us scouting there, imho. Great skaters bigger ice. CHL is a lot choppier hockey. The NHL is only getting faster.

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

We have 1 prospect playing SHL(borderline) in Stromgren. But the SHL is a goldmine of talent. Do we not have enough eyes in Scandinavia? We seem awfully blind to Sweden and Finland yet there is a wealth of great players there. At first glance, it seems we don't have enough eyes on the talent there. And it's Scandinavia. Exact same climate/attitudes as Canada. It would only make sense. Perhaps the scouts get a different directive there on what to look for. But other teams are way ahead of us scouting there, imho. Great skaters bigger ice. CHL is a lot choppier hockey. The NHL is only getting faster.

Yeah, I don't know what the issue is.  Should have been a lot of focus on talent there in the last two years.

Loob is supposedly affiliated or responsible for Euro scouting, but it seems like we only look at one player.

Boltman doesn't exactly jump out at you for his play, and we ignored a lot of young players.

Even this year, I remember a lot of guys here like Cross fuming that we didn't take Stankhoven or Red (forget his last name).

I didn't have a probalem with a lot of our late picks, but the early and middle ones seemed to leave a lot of good one on the table.

I keep hearing how the scouts raved about Jordan, or how good Ciona or Huskins are.

Nothing seems to jump out to say they will ever be NHL players.

Early yet, but a lot seem like career AHL at best.

33 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The brothers of stars don't always pan out.

How many Reinhart's are there and how many are actually in the NHL.

Poor example.

Gaudreau's brother is not NHL calibre.

Cale's isn't either. It's more like a favour. Funny how no one says, "generational talent" about Makar because he's a dman. He clearly is, and that's way harder for a dman, has the puck way more than a forward.

Nothing will shock me about him anymore. He's unbelievable. Damn Avs. I don't even know what I'd use as a comparable to Makar. Is it only Bobby Orr?

*edit damn Philly, Jersey, Dallas, that miss is devastating from the 17 draft.