Blackhawks @ FLAMES - Tues 23 Nov 2021

rocketdoctor

Home cooking or Home blues?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Home cooking or Home blues?

• We win 2 clear goals or more (EN not included)
    • It's a win but close 1 goal game
    • We take it in OT or Skills competition
    • Pah! the Blackhawks scrap a win
    • What? we got a shellacking?

I am not going to vote on any of those choices.  Superstitious.

Little change to the team that played NYI and BOS, except on D.

Zadorov facing his former team.

Has a burr in his pants.

Good top have him in because Toews love to run over our team.

Can expose the 2nd PP unit they have with Gus on the backend.

Their PK includes Toews with Khaira and Debrincat (?) with Dach.

MAF has played well for them and he has played like crap.

Never sure which one you get with him.
He's the wild card.

If we get one past him early, and follow up with a 2nd while holding them at zero, then it's a different story.

Good game. This one had the potential to be a dud. Some brain lapses led to Chicago’s goals, but they hung in there and came out with the W. 
- Marky doing Marky things

- No goals for Mange, but 100% in FO% (2 for 2 by my eyes)

- Dube sniping one

- Looch continuing to chip in goals (Was Neal ever really a flame? I’m at the point where I don’t remember)

- Coleman was visible and involved in all aspects of the game. Great game for him. 
- Kyller… wow. 
- Tanev continues to quietly be one of our most valuable players. He’s the one filling in for Gio IMO. 

Go Flames Go!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LouCifer said:

Good game. This one had the potential to be a dud. Some brain lapses led to Chicago’s goals, but they hung in there and came out with the W. 
- Marky doing Marky things

- No goals for Mange, but 100% in FO% (2 for 2 by my eyes)

- Dube sniping one

- Looch continuing to chip in goals (Was Neal ever really a flame? I’m at the point where I don’t remember)

- Coleman was visible and involved in all aspects of the game. Great game for him. 
- Kyller… wow. 
- Tanev continues to quietly be one of our most valuable players. He’s the one filling in for Gio IMO. 

Go Flames Go!

Dach was the best Hawk out there/

Able to Satoshi Nakamoto down Debrincat and Kabe for the most part; kept them outside.

Kyl/Tanny were the best pair out there.

Ras was really good defensively.

Hanifin I thought was goos with a few bad plays.

3rd pairing was BOOM.

The lines need some practice.

Pitlick is a good 4th liner, just need to find that magical 3rd line combo.

We had two assists on the Hawks goals.

What are we now, 11-0 when Dube scores a goal (from last year onward).

Lucic was a good sport and didn't go for the EN cookie, let Lewis get it.

Even better than just winning a game?

Oilers lost to Dallas in regulation.

Poor wittle Connor's point streak ends.

44 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

What 3 days off no Flames hockey?

Well deserved break for you Mr.

Thanksgiving has no hockey anyway.

image.thumb.png.d4cfaed95b6dfb620c6165d867503fcb.png

Look at the record and smile.

Tied for 1st overall.

1st in the West.

Best GF/GA differential.

Best away record.

2nd lowest GA.

Could be wrong but I think our goalie tandem is #1 for combined SA% as well as best GAA.

1st in total shutouts.

Who would have believed that going into the year.

17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Well deserved break for you Mr.

Thanksgiving has no hockey anyway.

image.thumb.png.d4cfaed95b6dfb620c6165d867503fcb.png

Look at the record and smile.

Tied for 1st overall.

1st in the West.

Best GF/GA differential.

Best away record.

2nd lowest GA.

Could be wrong but I think our goalie tandem is #1 for combined SA% as well as best GAA.

1st in total shutouts.

Who would have believed that going into the year.

not me! I just wasn’t sure the group was capable of playing consistent enough because they never showed it was possible. Glad Sutter reeled them in in that aspect of the game. They’ve always been good enough for playoffs, just which side of the playoff coin were they going to be on. 

I hope they can keep their mental game fresh because they’ve always been fun to watch when they play / try.  

I was definitely wrong and thought they’d be fighting for the playoffs and placing in the 8-15 record in the conference. Hope we can maintain that spot, amd that would likely mean they’re playing a team style game.

23 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

not me! I just wasn’t sure the group was capable of playing consistent enough because they never showed it was possible. Glad Sutter reeled them in in that aspect of the game. They’ve always been good enough for playoffs, just which side of the playoff coin were they going to be on. 

I hope they can keep their mental game fresh because they’ve always been fun to watch when they play / try.  

I was definitely wrong and thought they’d be fighting for the playoffs and placing in the 8-15 record in the conference. Hope we can maintain that spot, amd that would likely mean they’re playing a team style game.

Long road ahead no doubt.

I was worried about Guddy more than Zaddy.

Wasn't thinking Valimaki would be sitting most nights, but suspected he or Kylington would be an alternate.

The pre-season set up Kylington for success; early great play with Tanev allowed Sutter to take that chance.

Last year was the worst possible situation; Markstrom getting injured and never really finding his form again.

We should have made the playoffs, but glad we didn't.

The biggest surprises for me were:

Vladar so far - when did we have a decent backup and starter at the same time.

Gaudreau - should not be surprised that he found chemistry with Tkachuk, but I was a little worried he could not play a Sutter game.

Kylington - as much as I believed he had the right stuff, I never expected him to have the opportunity and right partner to showcase his game - Brodie 2.0.

Guddy - who would have believed he was that good defensively; still makes the odd bad play but who doesn't.

4th line with Lucic - not really impressive stats, but man they are committed.  I worry about them only when they get hemmed in for long stretches.

The guys I thought would be good, but a few have left me wanting:

Coleman - solid, but man where is his scoring.

Ras - bounced back to being the top guy.

Hanifin - I complain too much, but he is 75% solid out there.

Mangiapane - I think I predicted 30 goals as being possible, so he's on track to meet that.  Like easily.

Tkachuk - I worry about him being on a pouter, but he put behind the Gio nonsense.  Scoring like he should.

Lindy - is there a more underrated top C in the league?  Just does everything well.

Markstrom - knew he was due to bounce back, but it's nice to see him with a decent D in front.

Monahan - slow getting back to his usual self, so I think it's a work in progress.

Dube - what happened to him.

There have only been a few games where I felt they played too much on the outside.  Sutter preaches 10 foot shots and going to the net.  The tipped point shots are nice, but we don't have that many guys that can pound it and get it through.  I am surprised at how hard a shot Guddy has.  Kylington's slapper is pretty decent.  Would like to see more from Zaddy and Ras.  

8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Long road ahead no doubt.

I was worried about Guddy more than Zaddy.

Wasn't thinking Valimaki would be sitting most nights, but suspected he or Kylington would be an alternate.

The pre-season set up Kylington for success; early great play with Tanev allowed Sutter to take that chance.

Last year was the worst possible situation; Markstrom getting injured and never really finding his form again.

We should have made the playoffs, but glad we didn't.

The biggest surprises for me were:

Vladar so far - when did we have a decent backup and starter at the same time.

Gaudreau - should not be surprised that he found chemistry with Tkachuk, but I was a little worried he could not play a Sutter game.

Kylington - as much as I believed he had the right stuff, I never expected him to have the opportunity and right partner to showcase his game - Brodie 2.0.

Guddy - who would have believed he was that good defensively; still makes the odd bad play but who doesn't.

4th line with Lucic - not really impressive stats, but man they are committed.  I worry about them only when they get hemmed in for long stretches.

The guys I thought would be good, but a few have left me wanting:

Coleman - solid, but man where is his scoring.

Ras - bounced back to being the top guy.

Hanifin - I complain too much, but he is 75% solid out there.

Mangiapane - I think I predicted 30 goals as being possible, so he's on track to meet that.  Like easily.

Tkachuk - I worry about him being on a pouter, but he put behind the Gio nonsense.  Scoring like he should.

Lindy - is there a more underrated top C in the league?  Just does everything well.

Markstrom - knew he was due to bounce back, but it's nice to see him with a decent D in front.

Monahan - slow getting back to his usual self, so I think it's a work in progress.

Dube - what happened to him.

There have only been a few games where I felt they played too much on the outside.  Sutter preaches 10 foot shots and going to the net.  The tipped point shots are nice, but we don't have that many guys that can pound it and get it through.  I am surprised at how hard a shot Guddy has.  Kylington's slapper is pretty decent.  Would like to see more from Zaddy and Ras.  

theres still a lot of time and streaks to be had. 

the reality is, they only have to play slightly above .565 hockey to make the playoffs.

58 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

theres still a lot of time and streaks to be had. 

the reality is, they only have to play slightly above .565 hockey to make the playoffs.

I would prefer to not play just 565 and put the boots to teams on a nightly basis.

As Peeps mentoned in another thread, we have been controlling60% of the play in games.

When we won the west, we did it by outscoring not outplayng.

You know how that ended up.

Thats the Oilers this season.

Win with losts of PP goals.

Get outplayed or outshot and still manage a win.

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I would prefer to not play just 565 and put the boots to teams on a nightly basis.

As Peeps mentoned in another thread, we have been controlling60% of the play in games.

When we won the west, we did it by outscoring not outplayng.

You know how that ended up.

Thats the Oilers this season.

Win with losts of PP goals.

Get outplayed or outshot and still manage a win.

yes! Definitely! I don’t want to worry about winning % either, and like you said, worry about the style and consistency of play. I was merely pointing out where the team stands at the quarter mark, which is really just meant as a testament to how they have played.

and yes! I’ve only ever commented on how they’ve played. I hope they can keep this up. You know my stance on that year they won the West? And I agree about outscoring their problems and other teams… 

I much prefer this year. I used to think comebacks were fun, and they can still be, but how they were getting down in the first place wasn’t fun. 

5 hours ago, robrob74 said:

yes! Definitely! I don’t want to worry about winning % either, and like you said, worry about the style and consistency of play. I was merely pointing out where the team stands at the quarter mark, which is really just meant as a testament to how they have played.

and yes! I’ve only ever commented on how they’ve played. I hope they can keep this up. You know my stance on that year they won the West? And I agree about outscoring their problems and other teams… 

I much prefer this year. I used to think comebacks were fun, and they can still be, but how they were getting down in the first place wasn’t fun. 

I think we lead the league in games starting with the first goal.

We used to struggle with scoring in the 1st, but when we did, we were a lot better off.

We used to have a flawless record when leading after one or two periods.

Good record this year, but could improve.

For sure, it's key to score first at home.

It gets the crowd involved.

When we are down by one going into the third, we haven't been very successful.

Comebacks are necessary, but much too stressful.

Home ice advantage is only that if the fans are jacked and loud. The players loved the NYR game atmosphere. Home needs to be home, and fans need to be jacked. Big difference in US and Canada crowds. US fans are having a fun night out. Canadian fans are too tensed up, self-conscious and act like they're only watching to give their critique. It's entertainment, go wild! Makes it way more fun. Gets the players jacked too.

54 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Home ice advantage is only that if the fans are jacked and loud. The players loved the NYR game atmosphere. Home needs to be home, and fans need to be jacked. Big difference in US and Canada crowds. US fans are having a fun night out. Canadian fans are too tensed up, self-conscious and act like they're only watching to give their critique. It's entertainment, go wild! Makes it way more fun. Gets the players jacked too.

The "library" has been that way for some time.  Not sure what they are waiting for.  Stop texting and watch the game.  Get caught up in it.

We finally have a team that we can be proud of.

Giv Fox  hard time (like they did).

Boo McBaby and pouter Draisaitl when they touch the puck.

Draisaitl is such a poor sport that he didn't want to play with Tkachuk in the All Star game.