GDT FLAMES @ Wings Thurs 21 Oct 2022

rocketdoctor

How many minutes will Kylington play tonight?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. How many minutes will Kylington play tonight?

• less than 10 minutes
    • 10.01 - 12.00
    • 12.01 - 13.00
    • 13.01 - 14.00
    • Over 14.01

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I will be honest.

I wasn't a fan of 50% of the lines last night.

Top line - no problem, they usually look to be the best out there.

Coleman-Backlund-Pitlick - a little less offense than I would hope for out of Coleman, but he's a worker.

Mangiapane-Dube-? - ok, so I have no issue with Bread and Butta, but Ritchie adds very little to them.

Lucic-Monahan-Lewis - if this is to get Monahan's confidence back, I'm not sure it's a good idea.  Maybe 2 scoring chances and one was a partial break by Lucic.

I get balancing the talent over 4 lines, but the results weren't great for half the game.

Maybe the middle 6 should be:

Coleman-Monahan-Pitlick

Mangiapane-Backlund-Dube

or

Mangiapane-Monahan-Coleman

Dube-Backlund-Pitlick

I think Backlund benefits from Dube or Mangiapane or both.

And Monahan needs a strong defensive F.

I like your set ups and at first glance intrigued by Mangiapane, Backlund, Dube

but then quickly went to them being smaller and possibly being overmatched against bigger teams in our own zone. But then when games get tighter they can always change the lines as the game goes on. Mange and Backs, good, but then Dube is also small so I’d want a bit more on that line.

But then maybe the Monahan line in that scenario gets the checking roles?

I think they should stick with Monahan with Mangiapane and Dube if they’re going to keep the first line together. Do we have another set up guy in the organization? 

11 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I like your set ups and at first glance intrigued by Mangiapane, Backlund, Dube

but then quickly went to them being smaller and possibly being overmatched against bigger teams in our own zone. But then when games get tighter they can always change the lines as the game goes on. Mange and Backs, good, but then Dube is also small so I’d want a bit more on that line.

But then maybe the Monahan line in that scenario gets the checking roles?

I think they should stick with Monahan with Mangiapane and Dube if they’re going to keep the first line together. Do we have another set up guy in the organization? 

In top form, Mange-Mon-Dubs would be a killer line.

Right now, I think they would suffer.

Mange-Mon-Coleman is a good choice for me, leaves Dubs with Backlund but on his strong side.

He would be less apt to being run over all the time.

18 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I will be honest.

I wasn't a fan of 50% of the lines last night.

Top line - no problem, they usually look to be the best out there.

Coleman-Backlund-Pitlick - a little less offense than I would hope for out of Coleman, but he's a worker.

Mangiapane-Dube-? - ok, so I have no issue with Bread and Butta, but Ritchie adds very little to them.

Lucic-Monahan-Lewis - if this is to get Monahan's confidence back, I'm not sure it's a good idea.  Maybe 2 scoring chances and one was a partial break by Lucic.

I get balancing the talent over 4 lines, but the results weren't great for half the game.

Maybe the middle 6 should be:

Coleman-Monahan-Pitlick

Mangiapane-Backlund-Dube

or

Mangiapane-Monahan-Coleman

Dube-Backlund-Pitlick

I think Backlund benefits from Dube or Mangiapane or both.

And Monahan needs a strong defensive F.

It's important to remember that Sutter addressed this. Between injuries and suspension he's still trying to find out where the consistency will end up. So we're still trying to find the setup. It's too easy for us to throw stuff out there, but he's the one watching it all the most. So I wouldn't be too critical just yet.

I mean, I can't stand Ritchie, but I have to deal with it.lol

We're all flabbergasted with the Gudbranson signing, but he's been okay, may even improve. Sutter sees something he wants there, regardless of Gud's illustrious past and JFresh scorecards.

I'm all for practising leeway this early to see what shakes out. I like the old codger. He just doesn't care what anyone else thinks. I can get with that.

That other Flames site seems to have about a dozen balanced posters and 2,000 wannabe gms.

That's why I like it here, it's not bloated in negativity and pages of incessant whining about everything Flames under the sun.

Serenity now, serenity now, serenity now.lol

7 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

It's important to remember that Sutter addressed this. Between injuries and suspension he's still trying to find out where the consistency will end up. So we're still trying to find the setup. It's too easy for us to throw stuff out there, but he's the one watching it all the most. So I wouldn't be too critical just yet.

We're all flabbergasted with the Gudbranson signing, but he's been okay, may even improve. Sutter sees something he wants there, regardless of Gud's illustrious past and JFresh scorecards.

I'm all for practising leeway this early to see what shakes out. I like the old codger. He just doesn't care what anyone else thinks. I can get with that.

That other Flames site seems to have about a dozen balanced posters and 2,000 wannabe gms.

That's why I like it here, it's not bloated in negativity and pages of incessant whining about everything Flames under the sun.

I even saw that Guds got two Hash Rate last night! Our #1D!

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

We have a small number of dedicated posters, and we still have overly negative stuff.

The lines worked enough where a on-point goalie collected a SO.

Work in progress.

There is no set lineup that works for every team, even when I am making suggestions.

Gudbranson was one of those players that can produce the right results in the right situation.

He's a bit like Stone, in that you shudder before he plays, but then you evaluate the results and think, okay he was good at times.

Zadorov has been a bit more risky.

I'm just hopeful that he hits on something that works 90% of the time.

8 hours ago, conundrumed said:

While true, Detroit's game plan I think is just chaos. They don't set up often just chase the puck everywhere. 

I thought Calgary was a little slow with decision-making in their own end.

Detroit is big on risk on the PK. They generate a lot of 2-on-1s.

I think this season start is a bit hectic for everyone because the team's haven't familiarized themselves with each other in so long.

I agree, i didn't really have a problem with the way the Flames defended. They were passive but that game plan makes sense given the opponent and It looked intentional to me. I thought they were rushing their clearing attempts under pressure thought which is not what you'd like to see but again understandable given it's early season and so much of the lineup was tinkered with. 

I'm not negative at all about the game, just point out it wasn't their best. I think it's worth being encouraged by the fact that they can get away with an off night in that area because they limited quality chances and got good goaltending. 

• Like 1

Been pleasantly surprised with Gudbranson.

Had a brutal turnover in this one but otherwise he's looked real solid in the first 3 games.

Much better than the preseason.

Kylington can straight up fly, man.

He was really impressive against the Wings. Had 2 great chances offensively and was solid in his own end for the most part, even throwing the body around.

Jury is still out on Monahans ability to bounce back this year. Hes been damn near invisible so far but he was also playing with Looch and Lewis in this one.

All in all, outside of a sloppy start and a rough second there was lots to like. Looking forward to some more solid defensive hockey. GFG! 

• Like 3