Goaltending

conundrumed

For jj, I get that there's a goaltending thread. But it started 8 yrs ago and is 491 pages of irrelevant at this point.

In the system:

Markstrom - #1

Vladar - #2

Prospects:

Wolf - AHL

Werner - AHL

Chechelev - AHL

Sergeyev - USHL

Parsons - Lord only knows but it's getting late-Refuses to get vaccinated. Why don't the Flames be brave like NYI and CBJ and just state their policy? Bye Parsons.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

My first question is, do we wait for a back-to-back to start Vladar?

That would give Markstrom the first 5 starts and Vladar the Oct 26th start

I'd do Vladar against Detroit personally.

Excellent showings by Wolf and Sergeyev so far.

Well, we are only 2 games into the season, so I don't know what the overall plan is for Markstrom and Darth Vladar.

We have only seen pre-season starts from him, but he does look really strong.

We should be seeing the backup 2 out of every 7 games.

I would give Vladar DET and NYR games, as the NJ game is the second night of  B2B.

Sergeyev off to a 3-0 start with a shutout and 1.0 GAA.

I think Vladar's first start is Tuesday in NJ.

The other easy one is in the MTL/TOR back-to-back. But that's only two starts in the first 14 games. Probably need to find at least one, of not two more starts for Vladar in the first 14 games

I think the Flames need to find starts for Vladar that aren't b2b's. Managing Markstrom's workload is very important this year. Last year they did a poor job of it, he missed a few weeks and took a while to regain his form. This year it will be crucial, with the condensed schedule and Markstrom will most likely be playing in the Olympics. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think Vladar's first start is Tuesday in NJ.

The other easy one is in the MTL/TOR back-to-back. But that's only two starts in the first 14 games. Probably need to find at least one, of not two more starts for Vladar in the first 14 games

I think the Flames need to find starts for Vladar that aren't b2b's. Managing Markstrom's workload is very important this year. Last year they did a poor job of it, he missed a few weeks and took a while to regain his form. This year it will be crucial, with the condensed schedule and Markstrom will most likely be playing in the Olympics. 

Exactly. I think he should start tonight tbh. Best to get him involved quickly. We really need him to manage Markstrom's workload, so we should find out quickly if he's capable, not just B2Bs.

On 10/20/2021 at 9:48 AM, travel_dude said:

Well, we are only 2 games into the season, so I don't know what the overall plan is for Markstrom and Darth Vladar.

We have only seen pre-season starts from him, but he does look really strong.

We should be seeing the backup 2 out of every 7 games.

I would give Vladar DET and NYR games, as the NJ game is the second night of  B2B.

Sergeyev off to a 3-0 start with a shutout and 1.0 GAA.

I think Sutter is waiting for the team to mold a little bit more so the back-up goes in with team being confident in their play

Should I change the title to "Net Assets"?

My biggest beef with BT was always being slack regarding goalies. I guess that's over.

Markstrom : 4-1-1; 1.33gaa; .957sv%, 3 SO.

That's some god level.

Vladar:2-0; 2.94gaa; .891sv%

Likely to improve.

Dustin Wolf: 2-0-1; 1.65gaa; .951sv%

Hello.

Adam Werner: 2.51gaa; .906sv%

Not bad.

Arsenii Sergeev: 4-1; 1.4gaa; .941sv%; 1SO

Oh my. I need to see this kid in action. USHL is a great league. He's crushing it.

• Like 1

The good thing is that in the NHL, the backup has provided a winning record.

How nice is that.

We have Sutter who believes in riding the starter, but he's already shown he will trust the backup.

Huge.

Managing starts has always been my beef with the team.

Gully was a fool and Wardo fell into the same traps.

We may see a high wokload for Marky, but Sutter wants him in the playoffs, so nothing crazy.

Wolfie is the #1 goalie prospect, but it's nice to have a decent AHL goalie there to develop as well.

Not gaudy numbers, but a solid low 900 AHL career.

Wolfie already settling in and showing why he was the best goalie out of the WHL in years.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

The good thing is that in the NHL, the backup has provided a winning record.

How nice is that.

We have Sutter who believes in riding the starter, but he's already shown he will trust the backup.

Huge.

Managing starts has always been my beef with the team.

Gully was a fool and Wardo fell into the same traps.

We may see a high wokload for Marky, but Sutter wants him in the playoffs, so nothing crazy.

Wolfie is the #1 goalie prospect, but it's nice to have a decent AHL goalie there to develop as well.

Not gaudy numbers, but a solid low 900 AHL career.

Wolfie already settling in and showing why he was the best goalie out of the WHL in years.

I think giving those two starts to Vladar has giving Markstrom time to rest and stay fresh. Markstrom’s game and numbers are proving it! Keep a good rotation! 

in Sutter’s first stint in Calgary he didn’t have a quality back up to trust and in LA maybe it should have been different.

i couldn’t get around the starts over the last bunch of years and seemingly forever, as well. I’d rather my goalie be ready to win every game by having proper rest. 

10 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

14 games in November. Including a 7 game road trip out east. 

I think the Flames need to find 4 or 5 starts for Vladar. 

Maybe something like 

vs DAL

2nd half of b2b @TOR

@BUF

@BOS  2nd half of b2b also chance for Vladar to play his former team

Having markstrom rested gave us a win or two extra. One for sure where we had no business winning. I think it was the Pittsburgh game that he stole. Even if Markstrom plays 4/5 games, rest him after two and he stays fresh!  The next 5 set would be 3/5 games… 

keep up the play! Keep him fresh!

Just now, robrob74 said:

Having markstrom rested gave us a win or two extra. One for sure where we had no business winning. I think it was the Pittsburgh game that he stole. Even if Markstrom plays 4/5 games, rest him after two and he stays fresh!  The next 5 set would be 3/5 games… 

He's playing great!

They definitely need to manage him well though, I like the idea of getting Vladar in net every 3rd or 4th game. Also keeps Vladar engaged. 

Also gotta keep in mind that its a condensed schedule with the Olympics. Markstrom also won't be getting time off during the break, he will be in net for Sweden...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I'm not sure we had no business winning any games.

I think this team has been pretty solid, with only minor letdowns in some games.

Yes, you need your goalie to perform.

He needs to be a great PK goalie too.

The one thing I think some of the analysts pointed out was that the D is giving the shooter to the goalie on odd man rushes.

We have seen before where we try to cover both and end up covering nobody or screening the goalie.

Of all the goals scored on Marky, only a few have been bad goals that he saw.

That is huge.

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm not sure we had no business winning any games.

I think this team has been pretty solid, with only minor letdowns in some games.

Yes, you need your goalie to perform.

He needs to be a great PK goalie too.

The one thing I think some of the analysts pointed out was that the D is giving the shooter to the goalie on odd man rushes.

We have seen before where we try to cover both and end up covering nobody or screening the goalie.

Of all the goals scored on Marky, only a few have been bad goals that he saw.

That is huge.

not that I’ve had the time to watch the past five games, I did watch last nights in a BP where they put the flames on one tv though… but I listen to the radio the day after to get a feel and they said the Flames didn’t play their game in the Pittsburgh game or something like that, saying Markstrom stole it… maybe I’m wrong and I might have caught some overtime call in shows. 

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

not that I’ve had the time to watch the past five games, I did watch last nights in a BP where they put the flames on one tv though… but I listen to the radio the day after to get a feel and they said the Flames didn’t play their game in the Pittsburgh game or something like that, saying Markstrom stole it… maybe I’m wrong and I might have caught some overtime call in shows. 

Well, getting a penalty followed by a double minor or an extended 5-3 does tilt the ice a bit.

They bent but never broke.

Props to Marky for sure.

The D did what they needed to do to give him clear looks.

Our PK is becoming elite.

Not sure why; G has a lot to do with it, but keeping opponents outside is key.

Whenever your goalie makes 45 stops in a shutout, you can say they stole it.  But, we have done that and lost.  The loss to Oilers was not Smith stealing it, it was lack of quality and high danger chances.  We did enough to get a win half the time, but letting in 5 is tough to come back from.