Jankowski waived today

Horsman1

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Transitioning away from Kipper, Iggy, Bouwmeester, Gio etc has never had any foresight.

I think that has been a big problem.

#1C = Bennett... check

#2C = Monahan... check

#1D = Giordano... check

#1G = Gillies... check

That was the plan.  We just missed so bad that's all.

6 hours ago, cross16 said:

Has there been a team that has successfully done this in the cap era?

While I agree, our succession plan is always really sketch and extended.

Where would we be without mercifully getting JG? We still be looking for an Iggy succession plan. Kipper. All the way to Markstrom. Now it's Gio, there really isn't a plan to replace a 1D. Fox maybe, but that was 2 yrs ago.

Keeps us middling and it takes a Loong time when we're always in reaction mode. 

We've been fortunate to be middling.

12 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Where would we be without mercifully getting JG? We still be looking for an Iggy succession plan. Kipper. All the way to Markstrom. Now it's Gio, there really isn't a plan to replace a 1D. Fox maybe, but that was 2 yrs ago.

while I’m not saying this is wrong or I disagree I just think this is a problem for every team in the league. It’s not really a uniquely Flames issue. 

I think the business of pro sports, and in particular pro hockey in Canada, discourages long term planning. 

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

while I’m not saying this is wrong or I disagree I just think this is a problem for every team in the league. It’s not really a uniquely Flames issue. 

I think the business of pro sports, and in particular pro hockey in Canada, discourages long term planning. 

once teams get to the point of needing that extra push in the playoffs, they tend to start trading futures and draft picks. But a lot of times those teams might be more ok to tank and chance winning the lotto.

17 hours ago, conundrumed said:

The problem was less the succession plan, and more the reliance on few players year in and year out.  But we don't spend a first round pick on a goalie the year Kipper won the Vezina if they think he'd be a future #1.  I think the problem wasn't that we didn't have a torch for Iggy to pass once he left, he never had a torch to pass while he was here. Championship teams don't rely on 1 guy to be a leading scorer.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2021 at 8:05 PM, MP5029 said:

That’s a shame, there were high expectations for him, he seemed like he was gonna do well in Pits.  But his big issue was indeed too soft for a big player all he needed to Do as play hard  and use his size….

I wonder if he would be worth signing and sending to the AHL, maybe he could be a home grown reclamation project…he’s not that old yet, i wonder if Sutter could kinda fix him…first by going to the AHL with a particular development plan this year and maybe next year he could be a usable Ctr on 3/4 line? 

he’s not unskilled, so it would be a matter of taking the time to figure out what he needs to fix then sending him to the AHL to develop/work in particular things???🤔 

he's still a good option to replace Backlund