Pre-season BOA October 4/21

travel_dude

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Question - which is uglier?

Oilers orange or Ducks orange?

Both are sickening.

Orange deserves better, they should not be allowed to use orange.

https://oilersnation.com/2021/10/04/game-preview-6-0-edmonton-oilers-vs-calgary-flames-7pm-mt/

Look at their absolutely pathetic preseason pic of their big win Lol.

Now scroll to the BOTTOM OF THE PAGE.    Perhaps unrelated question.

WHAT.....is that lol... A joke?

canada-wordmark1.png

3 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Orange deserves better, they should not be allowed to use orange.

https://oilersnation.com/2021/10/04/game-preview-6-0-edmonton-oilers-vs-calgary-flames-7pm-mt/

Look at their absolutely pathetic preseason pic of their big win Lol.

Now scroll to the BOTTOM OF THE PAGE.    Perhaps unrelated question.

WHAT.....is that lol... A joke?

canada-wordmark1.png

Must just be the drama teacher funding orange shirts.

Got confused because he thought he was in Tofino Kamloops.

12 hours ago, travel_dude said:

That's going to count.

Even though Tanev tripped McD, he went hard into Markstrom.

Sutter had a belief that McD intentionally ran Markstrom.

I am a little on the fence about it.

The call on the ice was no penalty for tripping and no goalie interference.

His angle of attack would have brought him into the crease or darn close.

It's a 50/50 call; ca easily go either way for most players.

I didn't think Sutter should challenge it, but whatever.

McD of course blames Tanev for a dangerous hit.

Sorry bub, but you swoop on net like that and sooner or later you or a goalie will end up in the ER.

There is such a fine line between in control and taking an unnecessary risk.

Here's a funny observation.  A player ends up knocking a goalie out of position and he gets credit for a goal.

Poolparty scored it off McDavid into the net.

29 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Sutter had a belief that McD intentionally ran Markstrom.

I am a little on the fence about it.

The call on the ice was no penalty for tripping and no goalie interference.

His angle of attack would have brought him into the crease or darn close.

It's a 50/50 call; ca easily go either way for most players.

I didn't think Sutter should challenge it, but whatever.

McD of course blames Tanev for a dangerous hit.

Sorry bub, but you swoop on net like that and sooner or later you or a goalie will end up in the ER.

There is such a fine line between in control and taking an unnecessary risk.

Here's a funny observation.  A player ends up knocking a goalie out of position and he gets credit for a goal.

Poolparty scored it off McDavid into the net.

I actually felt Tanev was too soft on that play.  If this was Zadorov or Gudbranson, then they'd be licking their chops with a guy cutting towards the net full speed with his head down.  Instead, Tanev went for a stick check and missed badly, tripping McDavid into Markstrom as a result.  Lesson here is to stand your ground with more authority.  

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I actually felt Tanev was too soft on that play.  If this was Zadorov or Gudbranson, then they'd be licking their chops with a guy cutting towards the net full speed with his head down.  Instead, Tanev went for a stick check and missed badly, tripping McDavid into Markstrom as a result.  Lesson here is to stand your ground with more authority.  

Unfortunately, Zaddy was on the wrong side of the play.

You are not going to stop McD from behind.

But, I believe you are correct on the mistake/soft play that Tanev made.

He didn't get in the way of the player.

He skated to intercept but missed body contact and just tried the stick.

I don't think that is typical of Tanev or a guy like Ras.

They normally take the body.

There is a pattern that we should be aware of...

McD loves to gain speed on the RW side and cut to the net.

Kylington or Hanifin or Valimaki have the speed to keep him in reach, but it would be good to have a D block the way to the net.

Since it's esentially the same cut every time, it probably is the RD that deals with it.

Tanev or Ras or Zadorov (if he shifts to RD with Kylington or Valimaki).

If Gudbranson is on the team, then he needs to be on the blueline or back most of his shifts.

Falling down at the offensive blueline doesn't cut it.

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I wonder if JG actually had anything wrong or if Sutter just didn’t think it was worth it.

The goal of the pre-season was to work out the kinks/rust and get back to game speed.

Considering that JH looks like he is in mid-season form already, Sutter didn't need to chance anything on a nothing game.

He might have had a booboo or just held out to save him for the real season.

Sutter said it was nothing.

Tkachuk and Lindholm played the most time of any forwards with just under 19 minutes.

It seems like Tippy is intent on playing McD/Drai/Nuge for every minute of every PP.

And playing the top 2 for 21 to 24 minutes per game.

Good luck with that.

35 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Unfortunately, Zaddy was on the wrong side of the play.

You are not going to stop McD from behind.

But, I believe you are correct on the mistake/soft play that Tanev made.

He didn't get in the way of the player.

He skated to intercept but missed body contact and just tried the stick.

I don't think that is typical of Tanev or a guy like Ras.

They normally take the body.

There is a pattern that we should be aware of...

McD loves to gain speed on the RW side and cut to the net.

Kylington or Hanifin or Valimaki have the speed to keep him in reach, but it would be good to have a D block the way to the net.

Since it's esentially the same cut every time, it probably is the RD that deals with it.

Tanev or Ras or Zadorov (if he shifts to RD with Kylington or Valimaki).

If Gudbranson is on the team, then he needs to be on the blueline or back most of his shifts.

Falling down at the offensive blueline doesn't cut it.

Ya problem is Gudbranson is not fast enough.  Maybe it's pre-season and Tanev is still fresh from surgery so he didn't want to play the body.  I don't know but that's one where you want the D to take the body hard.

8 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

McDavid sure has a, “I deserve a free lane to the net” ego.

Knock him out.

If playing defense is a "dangerous play", McDavid could have a rough start to the season.

Good thing the Oilers don't have any of this kind of "dangerous play" on their team.  at all.

37 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

No Idea what Sutter told Kyl in exit interview, but wow. He’s looking very good.

Kyl is making a serious case for himself... to the point where he may not clear waivers.  We shouldn't risk it either.  Considering Mackay is waiver excempt, then I would assume he gets sent down.  That leaves one of Valimaki, Stone, and Gudbranson who needs to get sent down.  No way we risk losing Valimaki right?  And Stone has clearly outplayed Gudbranson so far.  So I hope Gudbranson is the one to go.

Hanifin - Tanev

Zadorov - Andersson

Kylington - Stone

Valimaki

In a perfect world, Mackay should stay because he's deserved it so far.  Valimaki should get sent down.

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Kyl is making a serious case for himself... to the point where he may not clear waivers.  We shouldn't risk it either.  Considering Mackay is waiver excempt, then I would assume he gets sent down.  That leaves one of Valimaki, Stone, and Gudbranson who needs to get sent down.  No way we risk losing Valimaki right?  And Stone has clearly outplayed Gudbranson so far.  So I hope Gudbranson is the one to go.

Hanifin - Tanev

Zadorov - Andersson

Kylington - Stone

Valimaki

In a perfect world, Mackay should stay because he's deserved it so far.  Valimaki should get sent down.

I wonder if they might go 12-8 to start the year.  Drop Mackey, Froese and Ritchie to the farm and keep all of Kylington, Gubranson and Stone up.  I have a hard time believing management will send a newly signed nearly 2M player go straight to the minors. 

2 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I wonder if they might go 12-8 to start the year.  Drop Mackey, Froese and Ritchie to the farm and keep all of Kylington, Gubranson and Stone up.  I have a hard time believing management will send a newly signed nearly 2M player go straight to the minors. 

You mean 13-8?  We still have Gawdin and Duehr at camp I think.  Duehr is waiver excempt so he probably gets sent down but he's been our best so far.  Gawdin has played well too.  He might get claimed.  I know it's a bad look but Lewis and Gudbranson should get waived and sent down.  Richardson has been decent but if it was up to me, i'd run with Gawdin as our 4th line Center and send Richardson to the farm.

Just now, sak22 said:

Waiving Guddy sends a message, though they don't have to assign him to the AHL.

Keep him on the roster.

8D, 13F and 2G.

Froese and Kirkland go for sure.

If Pitlick is IR, then 2 of Gawdin, Richardson, Ritchie, Duehr and Lewis needs to go, otherwise 3 have to; that assume 13F

Easier if I just spell it out here:

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk

Mangiapane-Monahan-Coleman

Dube-Backlund-Pitlick

Lucic-Gawdin-Duehr

Ex. Richardson, Ritchie

Hanifin-Ras

Kylington-Tanev

Valimaki-Zadorov

Ex. Stone and Gudbranson

Markstrom/Vladar

Bolded is in case of LTIR for Pitlick, otherwise Ritchie gets added to waiver list.

Waive Stone, Gudbranson and Lewis, keep Gudbranson and Stone on the roster, send down Lewis, Froese, Kirkland and eventually Kinnvall and Zary and Parsons.

I might actually not bother waiving Stone.

Waiving Gudbranson and keeping him on the roster makes Dutter happy.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

You mean 13-8?  We still have Gawdin and Duehr at camp I think.  Duehr is waiver excempt so he probably gets sent down but he's been our best so far.  Gawdin has played well too.  He might get claimed.  I know it's a bad look but Lewis and Gudbranson should get waived and sent down.  Richardson has been decent but if it was up to me, i'd run with Gawdin as our 4th line Center and send Richardson to the farm.

Yes thanks, complete brain fart.  I mean I think its nice to think that we choose youth over vets, whats that phrase about insanity?  We know how Sutter operates, we saw years of guys like Boyd, Prust, Brodie even Gio, to name a few put up great preseasons only to lose out to begin the years to guys like Zyuzin, Anders Eriksson, Darren McCarty, Mark Smith, Jeff Friesen, Steve Staios, and overextended loyalty to guys like Yelle and Nilson.  I just don't see an opening day roster without Lewis, Richardson, and Gubranson

17 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I'd stick with Richardson, but I'd really like to see Duehr get some reps in on RW. He was really good vs preseason AHL rosters, but he sure wasn't out of place vs the Oilers full roster.

Interested to see him vs Winnipeg. Shame we never got to see Zary.

Gudbranson's been better (for what he is). Valimaki's coming together. Hope Kyl can maintain as play and competition ramps up.

Kinda fun that Sutter said upfront, "We think the game the same way."

Interested to see how this all comes together.