Preseason Game #1 EDM@CGY

Thebrewcrew

19 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Yes, I'm disappointed we didn't make a steal of a pick with Pelletier and he is trending 3rd liner tops based on these three games.  We will have to settle for 3rd line LW in this case.  I wonder are you disappointed in what you've seen so far from Pelletier?

I haven't watched, I'm basing off comments that are all over the place I've read some that raved about him in the rookie games, but I don't generally get caught up in the preseason or rookie games and don't generally jump to conclusions on 1 camp or even a few games of a camp, I don't really keep too much investment, some players look amazing their first camp and were marginal players at best (Boyd and Kobasew).  I didn't expect Pelletier to make the club, but I will use a larger sample size (which will probably be more time in the AHL) to judge him as a player.

14 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't really see any value in fretting about pre season be it game 1 or the last one of the season. I think the idea of preseason is about 90% useless and really the only goal of it should be to avoid injuries.  I personally don't care or fret if veterans sleep walk through a pre season because honestly I prefer it. Avoid injuries, that's all the ask should be. 

The only thing I think worth mention is it does go to show that Sutter has his work cut out with him with this D core. Bad penalties and a lack of puck movement was/is a problem on paper. 

If you really don't Frett the pre season , why care or make referance to the issues on the back end. In your opinion its 90% useless anyway.  Quite possible they took your advise cause they put forth a 10% effort. 

37 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't really see any value in fretting about pre season be it game 1 or the last one of the season. I think the idea of preseason is about 90% useless and really the only goal of it should be to avoid injuries.  I personally don't care or fret if veterans sleep walk through a pre season because honestly I prefer it. Avoid injuries, that's all the ask should be. 

The only thing I think worth mention is it does go to show that Sutter has his work cut out with him with this D core. Bad penalties and a lack of puck movement was/is a problem on paper. 

Zadorov will be an interesting case this year.  The way they were calling the game, there is not much room for his typical hitting style.  Pitlick laid an open ice hit that was called charging.  It was an interesting call.  TBH, I don't remember a lot of open ice hits called that way before.  Hey, I know the refs are adjusting to the new standards, but it seemed off.

Saying that, the D did not play well.  Ras was going through the motions, which is fine for a pre-season game.  A little concerned about pairing him with Zarorov.

More concerning is Gudbranson.  Unless he is coasting through the pre-season, he has to get better by a ton.  Worst D out there perhaps.  Was not impressed how he paired with Valimaki; that will ruin him IMHO.  Might as well use Kylington or Stone in the RD spot if that's the best Gudbranson can manage.

I know it's early, but I think perhaps we have to think about a Zarodov-Tanev and Hanifin-Ras top 4.  Would there be enough puck movement from Zadorov-Tanev?  I think they could be a decent shutdown pair.  

5 hours ago, tmac70 said:

If you really don't Frett the pre season , why care or make referance to the issues on the back end. In your opinion its 90% useless anyway.  Quite possible they took your advise cause they put forth a 10% effort. 

I dont care nor worry. It is simply the only observation I care to make on the game.

the only thing you can take from the game is how well your non NHL guys did against their non NHL guys. Just like the rookie tournament, it’s a bit of a test that way. Even then it was only a few days after training camp started and hope they’re able to break off some rust. You just would hope guys who are fighting to get noticed would be hungry to try get noticed. 

I think once game 1 of the regular season comes, that’s when the gloves come off. How well they’re prepped for game 1 will tell us everything. I get everyone will say, it’s just one game, but they said that last year and it wasn’t just one game, it was a whole season. It’ll be tough, I get it, there are a lot of new faces so I guess you give them a few weeks? But even then, getting behind early could hurt.

I really like both of the top lines (minus Ritchie). I have been wondering if Dube could play Center for awhile, so this could be a good thing. I also really like Mang and Dube together. That third line should be the top line in the AHL, as Ruzicka and Phillips have shown some good chemistry together. I have a feeling the d are about to have another tough night 😳. I think Val will do better with Stone than Gudbranson though.

Sorry wrong thread, my bad.