Flames at the IIHF championship

bosn111

According to the Main page, 5 players or prospects are listed to play in the world championship.

Nesterov for Russia.

Rafikov and Khaurnakov (Flames hold both their rights) are both listed as playing for Russia.

Mangiapane for Canada.

Mackey for USA

Petterson for Norway

Solovyov for Belarus

We can use this thread to track their progress here.

Any idea who Matisse Keflinx is?   That goalie whooped us good, I can't find a trace of him on the interweb.

Bob Hartley with more vindiction.  Well actually the Flames keep giving him vindiction by continuing to get worse the longer they are without him.

I remember clearly BT explaining Bob's sudden firing  and saying "Bob has taken this team as far as he can".

Well that's true genius, cause ya fired him right after he won coach of the year.    IMHO BT really believed he was responsible for all the success and he desperately needed to prove that by purging the organisation of anyone he wasn't responsible for hiring.

Years later, Bob Hartley still making winners out of thin air and thoroughly embarrassing anyone who doubted him.

https://www.vaughantoday.ca/canada-lost-to-bob-hartley-and-latvia/

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

BH fired after team dropped 20 points in the standings, so a year removed from coach of the year.

Rightly or wrongly, BT decided to bring in a player's coach.

either way, the 20 points was expected. He had a team that was early in a rebuild so he actually did very well considering and deserved that coach of the year. 

now, would he have changed his strategy had he had a team actually worthy of the playoffs? Maybe not. But everyone seems to use his record as a negative, yet he was in the rebuild and the horrible records and bad fancy stats should be expected. 

I remember him saying he was planning to have the Flames play an exciting brand of hockey. In the year they went to the playoffs it was exciting. I know he went away from the never given always earned model the next year.

it seems the Flames have continued to go always given nowadays as guys like Lucic and others always get playing time regardless of errors...

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I remember him saying he was planning to have the Flames play an exciting brand of hockey. In the year they went to the playoffs it was exciting. I know he went away from the never given always earned model the next year.

As fans we probably overplayed that a bit.

I loved Bh for his pressers they were pure gold.

Coaching wise was his 4 glorious years at Colorado down to the coaching or the players he had?   Hard to be a good coach on a crappy team.

13 hours ago, robrob74 said:

either way, the 20 points was expected. He had a team that was early in a rebuild so he actually did very well considering and deserved that coach of the year. 

now, would he have changed his strategy had he had a team actually worthy of the playoffs? Maybe not. But everyone seems to use his record as a negative, yet he was in the rebuild and the horrible records and bad fancy stats should be expected. 

it seems the Flames have continued to go always given nowadays as guys like Lucic and others always get playing time regardless of errors...

I think his motto in the playoff season was give the keys to the kids, don't worry if they left dents in the Ferarri.

That's not a sustainable game, and while it is exciting to watch it leads to the coach adapting.

I was reading some comments elsewhere about Lucic's interview.  We probably line it up to be Gaudreau or Tkachuk he was talking about.  Bennett was given top 6 minutes after his agent's outcry.  Was he all of a sudden playing better or was it something that bothered a lot of players in the room.  Backlund had a rough season defensively, but he was still on pace to score his usual amounts.  Tkachuk's ice time dropped under Sutter to begin with, and Sutter even admittd he was wrong in doing that.

Back to BH, he was a decent coach that probably didn't belong in the NHL.  It's a lot different from other leagues, and you probably see some of his teams rlying on 36 year old players when the goaing gets tough.

29 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think his motto in the playoff season was give the keys to the kids, don't worry if they left dents in the Ferarri.

That's not a sustainable game, and while it is exciting to watch it leads to the coach adapting.

I was reading some comments elsewhere about Lucic's interview.  We probably line it up to be Gaudreau or Tkachuk he was talking about.  Bennett was given top 6 minutes after his agent's outcry.  Was he all of a sudden playing better or was it something that bothered a lot of players in the room.  Backlund had a rough season defensively, but he was still on pace to score his usual amounts.  Tkachuk's ice time dropped under Sutter to begin with, and Sutter even admittd he was wrong in doing that.

Back to BH, he was a decent coach that probably didn't belong in the NHL.  It's a lot different from other leagues, and you probably see some of his teams rlying on 36 year old players when the goaing gets tough.

👍🏼

15 hours ago, travel_dude said:

BH fired after team dropped 20 points in the standings, so a year removed from coach of the year.

Rightly or wrongly, BT decided to bring in a player's coach.

Based on his recent decision to go with Sutter after 6 years of learning the hard way I'm going to go with wrong decision lol.

I do understand the frustration that last year, just the fire-coach fix was such a noobie thing to do.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Based on his recent decision to go with Sutter after 6 years of learning the hard way I'm going to go with wrong decision lol.

I do understand the frustration that last year, just the fire-coach fix was such a noobie thing to do.

Who was advising him?

You could argue that a team with Dougie should have been able to line up a decent denense.

And a hot Bennett coming from the playoffs played with Granlund at C.

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Who was advising him?

You could argue that a team with Dougie should have been able to line up a decent denense.

And a hot Bennett coming from the playoffs played with Granlund at C.

Well Dougie was 22 then and really didn't have much defence in him, he wasn't yet a complete player.

The goaltending was an absolute tragedy and that was very much GM or higher.  Complete fail there at replacing Hiller/previous.  I had some good rants about that lol.  Hudler in particular good old, Wideman declined.    They had some key vets which had career years the previous year and couldn't be expected to maintain that.

Really the Flames had their 2nd best season under Hartley.   that's the bottom line.   But they compared it against an anomally and gave up on their rebuilt thinking they really were that good.   And here we are.   Hartley literally got himself fired by setting expectations too high.

Years later Hartley still turning dirt into gold.   Good news is if Latvia doesn't defeat Canada next year, knowing his luck Hartley will be fired and maybe we can get him back lol

5 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Well Dougie was 22 then and really didn't have much defence in him, he wasn't yet a complete player.

The goaltending was an absolute tragedy and that was very much GM or higher.  Complete fail there at replacing Hiller/previous.  I had some good rants about that lol.  Hudler in particular good old, Wideman declined.    They had some key vets which had career years the previous year and couldn't be expected to maintain that.

Really the Flames had their 2nd best season under Hartley.   that's the bottom line.   But they compared it against an anomally and gave up on their rebuilt thinking they really were that good.   And here we are.   Hartley literally got himself fired by setting expectations too high.

Years later Hartley still turning dirt into gold.   Good news is if Latvia doesn't defeat Canada next year, knowing his luck Hartley will be fired and maybe we can get him back lol

I would suggest that they made some relatively smart trades that year.

Hudler, Russell were good.

Granlund and Jones not so much.

But you giving BH way too much credit for a winning season.

In some ways they were a lightly coached team that played the way they wanted to.

His hand more firmly on the team and they under-performed.

There re excellent coaches out there that don't belong in the NHL.  Talented players don't just play in North America.

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I would suggest that they made some relatively smart trades that year.

Hudler, Russell were good.

Granlund and Jones not so much.

But you giving BH way too much credit for a winning season.

In some ways they were a lightly coached team that played the way they wanted to.

His hand more firmly on the team and they under-performed.

There re excellent coaches out there that don't belong in the NHL.  Talented players don't just play in North America.

Well my understanding is the players felt they were being heavily coached and mutinied on him.

IMHO, if that allegation is true, the ringleader should have been shipped off same week.   And we'd be better off for it today.    Granted I have no actual idea.   Except for that thing with Hazel Mae.  That we know is true.

Yeah I probably am giving BH too much credit for that winning season but only because so many here aren't giving BT enough credit for where we're at now.   Granted, it could be someone else influencing him.  Like Hazel Mae.

23 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Well my understanding is the players felt they were being heavily coached and mutinied on him.

IMHO, if that allegation is true, the ringleader should have been shipped off same week.   And we'd be better off for it today.    Granted I have no actual idea.   Except for that thing with Hazel Mae.  That we know is true.

Yeah I probably am giving BH too much credit for that winning season but only because so many here aren't giving BT enough credit for where we're at now.   Granted, it could be someone else influencing him.  Like Hazel Mae.

I just don’t get how anyone can say you’re giving BT too much credit for winning and then give him the credit for losing. Cant have it both ways. And then say he had a horrible record like it meant he had a good team but still had a horrible record. He had a horrible team and the record was where it should have been with a good blip in the middle. Not saying he is a good coach, just that you can’t choose to credit some things over others. 

id argue the coaches that came after got less out of more...

27 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

You mean the shambles we are in?

A ruined Bennett?

A stalled rebuild?

Being just bad enough to draft Tkachuk?

Just kidding.  I loved the pressers he used to have.

Wasn't he behind the bench brawl with Torts' team?

Here's a thought about coaching in the IIHF.

Gallant is backing a team 0-3.

Does that make him bad and BH 3x better?

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You mean the shambles we are in?

A ruined Bennett?

A stalled rebuild?

Being just bad enough to draft Tkachuk?

Just kidding.  I loved the pressers he used to have.

Wasn't he behind the bench brawl with Torts' team?

Here's a thought about coaching in the IIHF.

Gallant is backing a team 0-3.

Does that make him bad and BH 3x better?

Their NHL playoff record does that already.

44 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Just like the Oilers, living in the past.

What was it, like 20 years ago he won a cup?

When you don't learn from the past, you can't ever really leave it  :)

That's why there's people who are still excited to see the next 30+ goalie we sign for our retool next year lol.

Gallant has never won anything like that.    If he did, we could compare who won more recently.