Flames injuries

bosn111

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Completely agree, well said, accurately said.   On the bright side, there are some incredible, incredible drafts coming up for a purge.

I mean a retool.

Playing multiple multiple players injured (just the ones we know of) is Literally the definition of Toxic, I couldn't begin to find a better descriptor.    Agreed that it is harsh.  We could use a little harsh right about now.    

Agreed with the 2nd part.

Coaches, hired by management.   Medical staff hired by management.   Players acquired by management.

None of the signings have any direction or logic if you look at the team past one year.   That is because none of the signings have sight past immediate need.  The result is that many of them are harmful.   Admittedly this goes well past Treliving but BT has way too much share in this.

I will take this to the extent that even some of our most successful signings, like Hudler, harmed us.   He was signed at the exact moment where this team absolutely need to acquire a young talented RW and give him minutes in order to complete their rebuild.   Everyone was so happy when he signed and even myself I admit it looked good at the time.   But there was Never a vision.    Never anyone looking on paper and saying "whoops we look really bad here a few years out, we need a strong young RW".   No vision.  No investment.  Just immediate gratification.

And that's how they've managed player health and safety too, by the looks of it.

I have some experience here.   Yeah it sucks.   I have been cheering for the Flames my entire life which is long before they won a cup.   Sometimes I almost feel like the years heading into the Olympics was the last time this organization fully stuck to a plan of considering the future and the outcome was just that.    That was a team btw that rested guys at the slightest hint of injury or fatigue so this isn't all new age stuff,  organisations including this one have done it right in the 80's and earlier.

At some point it will come full circle and we will all be vindicated as fans.   But at some point I think you come to the conclusion that sugar-coating it isn't sustainable.    It doesn't mean anyone actually listens to the rants or that they'll have an effect.   But it is grounding at least.  lol

I actually liked the Hudler signing and always will. He helped Monahan and Gaudreau transition in and we needed to continue that mentorship of them. 

you’re right about the shortsightedness of building a RW nucleus. But it wasn’t because we had Hudler. It was because the thought process is to move guys into spots they’re not familiar with? Or that you can trade for them, which has become extremely hard to do, and maybe some deals have been nixed but it still is hard to acquire and it’s at a high cost. I agree that there was no foresight...

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I actually liked the Hudler signing and always will. He helped Monahan and Gaudreau transition in and we needed to continue that mentorship of them. 

you’re right about the shortsightedness of building a RW nucleus. But it wasn’t because we had Hudler. It was because the thought process is to move guys into spots they’re not familiar with? Or that you can trade for them, which has become extremely hard to do, and maybe some deals have been nixed but it still is hard to acquire and it’s at a high cost. I agree that there was no foresight...

I can appreciate that.  Even I liked that trade at the time.  

Maybe this will help a little though

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/airline-nhls-jiri-hudler-demanded-cocaine-and-tried-to-pee-on-foot-cart-on-flight/

Anyway I do also concede that trades are hard.    But, gotta get it done.   Have to have a roadmap.   And.....back to the topic, can't manage your most valuable assets like this.   Not good from a human or hockey perspective in the long run and often even the short run.

On 5/23/2021 at 1:13 AM, robrob74 said:

Ryan was a good signing but signed due to his relationship with Peters. I guess you still give them the positive signing vote there. Then the Tanev and Markstrom signing. Those are the only three UFA vet signings I have liked. All of the others have sucked! The Hathaway one was a good college deal. All of the rest were either ok or bad. I guess they still signed in Calgary. So that’s good. I am trying to think of other signings that made a difference.

I fully agree in the second paragraph. 

Connor Mackey was one of the best college free agent FA last year and choose Calgary too. Flames made Panarin's list as a finalist as well when he was coming over. 

Whether or not the signing is successful or well liked has more to do with pro scouting and your own personal opinion. The point was if Calgary was toxic or had a bad culture I don't think you'd be seeing those types of signings. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

Connor Mackey was one of the best college free agent FA last year and choose Calgary too. Flames made Panarin's list as a finalist as well when he was coming over. 

Whether or not the signing is successful or well liked has more to do with pro scouting and your own personal opinion. The point was if Calgary was toxic or had a bad culture I don't think you'd be seeing those types of signings. 

Tanev was quick to point out that he said the injury was no big deal to him.

I don't agree with him playing past the point where games didn't matter, but you do have to factor in player decisions when suggesting it's toxic or not.

I do think the team needs to better evaluate risk/reward though.

It made little sense to play an injured Monahan, where his performance was impacting the line.

Not that performance is the only issue, just that it made no sense where he needed surgery.

Perhaps we are not that bad a place to sign as a UFA.  The biggest issue for me is sometimes the guys we do go after.

57 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

By the time we got to games do not matter apparently Tanev was already healed.   It was 7/8 weeks ago that he took that injury.

Really?  Because I understood that he is still dealing with it, not that he was healed.

On 5/25/2021 at 5:37 PM, rocketdoctor said:

By the time we got to games do not matter apparently Tanev was already healed.   It was 7/8 weeks ago that he took that injury.

On 5/25/2021 at 6:35 PM, travel_dude said:

Really?  Because I understood that he is still dealing with it, not that he was healed.

The big question is.........IF Tanev got injured further and it came ti light that he was playing through an already serious injury where would the blame fall?  Tanev would be labeled as a warrior while the organization would look the villian.  The final say should always come down to the medical team.

That being said, unless some additions are made on RD and RW the team will be up that famous creek if they lose someone like Tanev, Lindy or Mangi for an extended period of time.

14 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

The big question is.........IF Tanev got injured further and it came ti light that he was playing through an already serious injury where would the blame fall?  Tanev would be labeled as a warrior while the organization would look the villian.  The final say should always come down to the medical team.

That being said, unless some additions are made on RD and RW the team will be up that famous creek if they lose someone like Tanev, Lindy or Mangi for an extended period of time.

We managed to survive a playoff run without Gio.

Not that we did well, but with him we were not much better off.

I would see what it takes to get Seth Jones here.

Monahan + for Jones.

That would insulate Ras and Tanev from top pairing.

And he's young enough to be part of the long term plan.