UFA 2020, Who’d You Sign?

robrob74

2 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The Hall negotiation is fascinating, there's been almost zero info on which teams are in. 

There are a few teams that I've seen that are reported to have interest

Boston- probably the logical choice if he simply wants to win. Not too sure how much longer that window is open though, given their top 2 C are 34 and 35 and starting goalie is 33, with rumours over retirement after next season.

Nashville- great place to live, not sure they are a cup threat though. Regressed the last few years, since the presidents trophy year.

Montreal- I don't see him signing there. They really benefitted from a long break in the return to play. Some nice young pieces, but not threatening for a cup anytime soon. 

If I am Hall after the Krug situation and the knowledge of the Rask tension along with the top guys ages I would stay away.

I still think Calgary is working on something with NJ to get JH there before he becomes a FA in 2 years so they can try and sign him there long term. We may be trying to add a center in Ryan (which I don't think they would want him) but more likely Backlund to a trade that brings Palmeri this way with other pieces. I know NJ may not need a center like Backlund this season without sending a guy like Zajac this way. NJ would need to retain on Zajac for his last year. This would mean at the end of next season guys like Bennett and Gawdin, maybe even Dube get a chance at center full-time.

With the way the cap and economy looks to be at the end of next season I think contracts will get lower AAV across the board. 

We currently have Lindholm, Mony, Backlund, Ryan, Bennett, Dube, and again possibly Gawdin that can all play center next year.

If we do for example trade JH for a RWer for the top line that immediately slides Lindholm over to top center. IMO

This would slide Mony to 2nd line center. IMO

I would be ok finally giving Bennett a full season at center hoping he can translate his gritty shut down style into a Backlund 2.0

Gawdin could handle a season on the 4th line. IMO

A forward group could look like this.

Tkachuck - Lindholm - Palmeri

Hall - Mony - Mang

Lucic - Bennett - Dube

?   - Gawdin - Buddy

If Ryan stays he balances the bottom 6, other wise we could fill the lw from within.

Just hopes I have. Knowing Hall has offers and has said he wants to be here I think there is something happening. Tanev waited for Markstrom and Brodie to decide. I think Markstrom slipped up and said Calgary is got something big going on. He may have meant us as a group, but he could have been refering to a selling point Tre mentioned he is working on.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, FlameFan4Life said:

If I am Hall after the Krug situation and the knowledge of the Rask tension along with the top guys ages I would stay away.

I still think Calgary is working on something with NJ to get JH there before he becomes a FA in 2 years so they can try and sign him there long term. We may be trying to add a center in Ryan (which I don't think they would want him) but more likely Backlund to a trade that brings Palmeri this way with other pieces. I know NJ may not need a center like Backlund this season without sending a guy like Zajac this way. NJ would need to retain on Zajac for his last year. This would mean at the end of next season guys like Bennett and Gawdin, maybe even Dube get a chance at center full-time.

I personally just don’t see NJ as a very good fit for Gaudreau. A week ago, I felt a little differently as they had 3 1st’s, with the draft now in the rear view, I don’t see the fit. The Devils are a bad team with a bunch of holes throughout their roster. Palmieri is a good player, but he has an 8 team no trade list, it’s likely a safe bet Calgary is one of those teams.  He’s also at a very similar age to current free agents Hoffman and Toffoli, may as well try and sign one of those players and keep Gaudreau until you’re blown away by an offer.

This one has me scratching my head, 1yr deal in Buffalo. Best case scenario for the Sabres, is an abbreviated 20/21 where the chances of them fluking their way into the postseason increase. Realistically, they aren’t a playoff team on paper and Hall will be a deadline move yet again. 

Hard to see him getting a bigger payday a year from now

Just now, Thebrewcrew said:

This one has me scratching my head, 1yr deal in Buffalo. Best case scenario for the Sabres, is an abbreviated 20/21 where the chances of them fluking their way into the postseason increase. Realistically, they aren’t a playoff team on paper and Hall will be a deadline move yet again. 

Hard to see him getting a bigger payday a year from now

I think gambling on a big year with Eichel to cash in next year, or when he said he wanted to win he meant the lottery again.

Be interested to hear what other teams were offering but I imagine it’s a case where they teams he wanted to go to either didn’t have the cap space or weren’t willing to come up to his price. Picks one of the best chances he has to rebuild his value and take another chance next year. 

bit of a stunner for sure. Too bad as I feel this is a missed opportunity for the Flames. See if there are some trades up their sleeves but I’m not optimistic we’re going to see much change at forward now. 

MF! Hall to Buf? Wtf!? 

gerr!

well time for plan B...it’s also seeming we really need to get that super star player, I’m not sure who said it but we lack that player everyone wants to play with.

well you know what, the heck with him, we have lots of cash I’m positive we can use that for a decent RW...maybe by way of trade...hopefully JG meant what he was saying and wants to stay, I’d much rather have someone here that wants to be here.  

To be honest it may be a blessing in disguise, I mean we do have some good depth on LW and Ctr is not horrible, so maybe there is RW to be had for the 2nd line 🤔 somewhere...

1 minute ago, FlameFan4Life said:

Without doing a trade we DO NOT have the cap space to sign anyone of real value to improve the forward group. Sure we could sign a Ritchie or Leivo type guy to a discounted contract by the looks of it but can't we give a prospect that same role?

The Flames likely can't even take care of their RFA's and filling out the rest of the roster without shedding salary. 

I think Derek Ryan could be a guy they look to move. The centre free agent market is rather thin, so I think there could be a market for Ryan. Glenn Gawdin is likely ready to fill Ryan's role.

2 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The Flames likely can't even take care of their RFA's and filling out the rest of the roster without shedding salary. 

I think Derek Ryan could be a guy they look to move. The centre free agent market is rather thin, so I think there could be a market for Ryan. Glenn Gawdin is likely ready to fill Ryan's role.

Ryans replacement is more likely Bennett for the third line but I do think Gawdin plays fourth line next season.

Just now, Horsman1 said:

8 mill for one season in Buffalo.. so much for wanting to go to a winning team... 

so now we circle back to Hoffman.. and Toffoli if that doesn't work out .. sooooo no forwards this year for the top 2 lines.. oh well .. there's always full contact bowling

We still may see a depth hockey trade. I am not expecting a big move after the Hall signing. I will be surprised if Tre breaks up the core unless it is something that brings longer term in and make us harder to play against. 

My guess is Tre takes days or even waits until Mang finishes his arb hearing before doing anything.

So should we now switch to guessing the PTO candidates....lol

Archived