UFA 2020, Who’d You Sign?

robrob74

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

100%.  "Would" you though?  Not "can" you.

Not if you have to include a 1st, it isn't worth it. I think this current top 4 leaves a bit to be desired already, so moving Gio who is still the best defenseman on the team doesn't make us better.

4 minutes ago, FlameFan4Life said:

I totally get why you want to change the forward group so bad, I think we need to aswell. The thing is if we get rid of Gio our D get's bad in a snap. Gio on his current contract even with his skill would be next to impossible to move in this economy at his current age. 

I still think they will pair him with a skilled prospect in Kinnvall and milk all that they can out of him to give this kid the nest chance to succeed.

Let's hope Giordano doesn't decline further than what we saw 2 months ago.  He started to look old... Not dropping off a cliff but it was noticable.  

Best to use Giordano in a second pairing situation and play him second pairing minutes.  Same goes with Tanev who Canucks fans say had his best season two years ago.  Let's hope Tanev's body holds up.  He's battled injuries his entire career.

I haven't seen Kinnvall to comment but I believe he will be in the mix.  Same with Mackay, Petrovic, and Yelesin.

There is no way Gio is getting traded.

With the four vets we have signed and the fact that Valamaki is for sure gonna play I truely believe that we will see another youth step in instead of going after a nhler who hasn't been signed by anyone else at this point.

If we are gonna roll the dice on a 1-1.5 dman on the market we mat aswell roll the dice on one of our own.

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Not if you have to include a 1st, it isn't worth it. I think this current top 4 leaves a bit to be desired already, so moving Gio who is still the best defenseman on the team doesn't make us better.

That wasn't even the question.  Plus, we'll have to see about Giordano being our best.  Right now, yes.  Yet trending the wrong way.   By season's end, we need someone to emerge as our best.  

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

That wasn't even the question.  Plus, we'll have to see about Giordano being our best.  Right now, yes.  Yet trending the wrong way.   By season's end, we need someone to emerge as our best.  

I see Andersen as our best next year. Gio is more than capable. I hope that with a tweak to his playing style he can still be seen as a top dman. That is partly why I think he should mentor a younger fast player for us.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

The plan for Kinnvall when he signed was to spend this season in Sweden and come to Calgary after the 2020-2021 season. Similar to what they did Carl-Johan Lerby who should be making the jump across this season.

After the last few days of watching everything we can and ready every article written I couldn't tell you when and where but I do remember Tre saying that Kinnvall and Mackey will be in camp pushing for a spot this next season.

27 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

100%.  "Would" you though?  Not "can" you.

Kinda what I was getting at he is 100% untouchable...however I Would move him for 2 reasons...

there are very few Nick Lidstom D playing or able to play onto their 40’ and he is getting there.  While I do think Gio is good for a few more seasons I do NOT want another Iginla situation where we get zip for him...and honest he deserves a chance, I’m of the thought if we are not looking much different by the TDL this year I’d offer him a chance to go to a contender and if not this year and we blow it we should definitely let him go on his last year of his contract, regardless of the return...the runway is getting shorter for him let him go get one, he’s earned it! 

Lol I wonder if Petro were to sign here (doubt-full look like he’s going to Vegas) but if he were to, how many of the Gio is our best D...though I am of the he’s starting to show a decline camp, but if petro were signed, how many of those Gio is the best people would be calling for home to leave?

20 hours ago, FlameFan4Life said:

Good points, I add then if Bennett is to move over than we should be looking to move Ryan for a RD.

I think Tkachuk could easily play with Mony. JH is good but Mony was good before they ever met. I don't think people give Mony enough credit.

give Monahan credit for what?? His magical mysterious Disappearing act he pulls every year when the games get tough?? Gimme a break!! Monahan is a Double Spend and not the player Calgary needs as it's number one center.. Yea.. he's not a bad sniper but is horrible on the defensive side .. he has never shown any kind of lwadership you's expect from your number one center..

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

There will have to be trades coming at some point. Adding Markstrom makes us better, but we still need to find a way to improve the offense.

Ryan was a luxury in the playoffs; I don't think he belongs on the 4th line, but Bennett was better.

Maybe expecting Gawdin to be able to replace him is folly, but we have to cut salary.

Regardless, we have to improve scoring.

Perry would be fit perhaps on the 4th line, adding some scoring with Lucic on the other side.

Hall would fit, but we may have to mix up the lines a bit:

Hall-Monahan-Gaudreau

Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm

Dube-Bennett-Mangiapane

Lucic-Gawdin-Perry

Puts us over the cap.  Would force us to give Mangiapane a bridge deal.

Almost means we would have to trade Gaudreau.

Gaudreau for Coznens and a 1st.

Other option would be to trade a 3rd for Tyler Johnson with 1.0m retained.

That's all they would get by burying himm in the AHL.

Gives us better balance down the lineup.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Mangiapane

Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm

Dube-Bennett-Johnson

Lucic-Gawdin-Perry

Although we could stick with last year's top 6 as is, I think we should consider Mangiapane adds a new dimension.

He's a dog on the puck, which the top line lacked at times.

Lindhom provide some balance to the 2nd line.

I think the cap is more manageable with Johnson over Hall.

5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Not exactly sure what WPG is doing.

They signed Forbort and Sbisa, but have Morrisey and Beaulieu.

Traded for Statsny.

I would consider trading Hanifin for Roslovic.

That would put Valimaki with Tanev and force us to use Poolman with Kylngton or Yelesin.

But that doesn't help WPG manage it's cap.

Or the excess they have on D. 

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Not exactly sure what WPG is doing.

They signed Forbort and Sbisa, but have Morrisey and Beaulieu.

Traded for Statsny.

I would consider trading Hanifin for Roslovic.

That would put Valimaki with Tanev and force us to use Poolman with Kylngton or Yelesin.

But that doesn't help WPG manage it's cap.

Or the excess they have on D. 

They would have to add, maybe add the other Poolman or Sami Niki. Still not sure I would do that deal. Roslovic is a 3rd liner here so trading a top 4 defenseman for a 3rd liner isn't a great move IMO.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

They would have to add, maybe add the other Poolman or Sami Niki. Still not sure I would do that deal. Roslovic is a 3rd liner here so trading a top 4 defenseman for a 3rd liner isn't a great move IMO.

Well if it's Niku and Roslovic, I do that deal.

But I think it would be at best Poolman + Roslovic.

We can have two brothers playing on the same pairing.

Gio-Ras

Valimaki-Tanev

Poolman-Poolman

I think that might be good, but more risk involved than Johnson.

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Well if it's Niku and Roslovic, I do that deal.

But I think it would be at best Poolman + Roslovic.

We can have two brothers playing on the same pairing.

Gio-Ras

Valimaki-Tanev

Poolman-Poolman

I think that might be good, but more risk involved than Johnson.

I would think Mackey is ahead of Poolman.

Neither Roslovic or Niku has really developed the way the Jets expected. 

The Hall negotiation is fascinating, there's been almost zero info on which teams are in. 

There are a few teams that I've seen that are reported to have interest

Boston- probably the logical choice if he simply wants to win. Not too sure how much longer that window is open though, given their top 2 C are 34 and 35 and starting goalie is 33, with rumours over retirement after next season.

Nashville- great place to live, not sure they are a cup threat though. Regressed the last few years, since the presidents trophy year.

Montreal- I don't see him signing there. They really benefitted from a long break in the return to play. Some nice young pieces, but not threatening for a cup anytime soon. 

Just now, JTech780 said:

There has been a rumour that they are working on a trade with Winnipeg, Nate Schmidt to the Jets and perhaps Roslovic to Vegas. 

if Vegas wins the cup next year the Jets management team should get rings too. They are really bailing them out here. 

Archived