UFA 2020, Who’d You Sign?

robrob74

6 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

The Tanev signing tells me Pietro has no interest in coming here, because it effectively took us out of the running (cap space). For those of you that are dreaming a trade could be in the works to free up cap for Pietro... BT would’ve prioritized signing Pietro first, then looked into the trade market to get Tanev - not the other way around. As for Hall, we may be out on him as well unless the conversation with BT was “I want to see what you’re doing with the team before I commit to you”. I think trading a Gaudreau to fit Hall would be the opposite of what Hall wants. He’d likely want Gaudreau in the fold to boost his chances of a playoff cup run. Do we have anyone to replace Ryan at C? And even if we do, who’s running our PK now? Ryan, Reider, Janko all gone. Backlund and Lindholm are going to be relied on heavily and that’s going to be some hard minutes to play every game. I don’t know guys. This Tanev signing to me is off the board for me. 

Here’s a question, who’d you rather have, Ristolainen or Tanev? 

I agree fully with this!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, crazyflames said:

The only reason you trade away Gio now because you want AP lock in for long term.  But I doubt AP wants to come to Calgary, so I think that we may add another 7th D, and our D is probably done.  I won’t say it’s an upgrade from last season because maybe that’s all we can do with flat cap.  Our D is less offensive comparing to last year, therefore we must get another scoring forward.  The only possible forward is willing to take discount will be TH, because he wants to win.  Now we get elite goaltending, maybe BT can convince TH come to Calgary for 1 year at 4M to win Stanley cup when he still keeps the core untouched.  

it’s possible and that has crossed my mind...best hope for TH is moving out Ryan and JG but, like someone else said, who’s your 4th line Ctr? Also, who’s gonna be the PK Ctr? 

honestly if we had managed to keep Brodie and add Tanev, then the Tanev sign would look to fit as a Hammer replacement...and the team would be solid from net to the forward lines with only a small hole on the 2nd RW...personally letting Janko go was a huge mistake in my books, I’d have rather tried moving Ryan and keep Janks...but it’s done now so it’s another hole to fill.

all I’m saying is BT aught to have locked up Brodie and Janko then the holes would have been smaller with only 2nd line RW and a 2nd RD pair which there seems to be better options than Tanev and quite possibly cheaper and healthier 

this of course is my thought after the Markstrom signing 

7 hours ago, bosn111 said:

I am good with both players. We basically took away the Canucks puck stopping today. Hughes is skilled but more offensive and Demko is unproven overall.

My big issue is not the players and other than being slightly overpaid, not too disappointed in the contracts. The issue for me is that there is now limited cap space for Mangiapane, Kylington, 3 forwards and a D to fill out the roster. Basically 6.41 million.

So either the Flames are looking to play Hard ball with Mangiapane or trades will need to be 1 higher salary for multiple lower salary pieces.

I am assuming that Pietrangelo is out and was unlikely to sign, also sounds like Hall is out for now.

I would still like to see a trade for someone like Montour who will likely sign around 5 mil. 

Giordano Andersson 

Hanifin Tanev 

Valimaki / Kylington  Montour

Very balanced D can roll all 3 pairs without a lot of worry. Obviously would need salary out to make it work to still bring in forwards.

Still need to see what else happens.

I wonder if they’re thinking that Mackey is going to be nhl ready this year.

18 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

The Tanev signing tells me Pietro has no interest in coming here, because it effectively took us out of the running (cap space). For those of you that are dreaming a trade could be in the works to free up cap for Pietro... BT would’ve prioritized signing Pietro first, then looked into the trade market to get Tanev - not the other way around. As for Hall, we may be out on him as well unless the conversation with BT was “I want to see what you’re doing with the team before I commit to you”. I think trading a Gaudreau to fit Hall would be the opposite of what Hall wants. He’d likely want Gaudreau in the fold to boost his chances of a playoff cup run. Do we have anyone to replace Ryan at C? And even if we do, who’s running our PK now? Ryan, Reider, Janko all gone. Backlund and Lindholm are going to be relied on heavily and that’s going to be some hard minutes to play every game. I don’t know guys. This Tanev signing to me is off the board for me. 

Here’s a question, who’d you rather have, Ristolainen or Tanev? 

Tanev signing is okay, it’s just the terms maybe little too long.  However we need some scoring.  We lost couple offence D and we didn’t add any scoring front to replace it.  Unless we sign Tyson Barrie for 1 year really cheap, like 2M.  Or we need to somehow get Taylor Hall.  At the end of the day, the other reason that you bring elite goaltending to Calgary is showing other interested player that we are serious for Cup this year.  TH may take a discount for 4.5M and playing for Calgary for 1 year while Gaudreau still here too.  That’s not impossible.  

4 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

it’s possible and that has crossed my mind...best hope for TH is moving out Ryan and JG but, like someone else said, who’s your 4th line Ctr? Also, who’s gonna be the PK Ctr? 

honestly if we had managed to keep Brodie and add Tanev, then the Tanev sign would look to fit as a Hammer replacement...and the team would be solid from net to the forward lines with only a small hole on the 2nd RW...personally letting Janko go was a huge mistake in my books, I’d have rather tried moving Ryan and keep Janks...but it’s done now so it’s another hole to fill.

all I’m saying is BT aught to have locked up Brodie and Janko then the holes would have been smaller with only 2nd line RW and a 2nd RD pair which there seems to be better options than Tanev and quite possibly cheaper and healthier 

this of course is my thought after the Markstrom signing 

4th line C is not that hard, I think that someone from farm team will make a push this year.  Yes maybe we should kept Janko for min contract, however I think that he probably is not interested to stay in Calgary either giving his situation in and out of lineup.  However what I worry most is that we lost lot of guys this year, and we don’t have much asset to trade.  So I think the only option we got at this point in order to sign another scoring forward is through free agent market.  I don’t think our GM wants to blow up the team that much further yet we still hasn’t not addressed our scoring front and completing the D core.  

28 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

This interesting, Brodie is by far better then any of the other 3...especially where the comparison in relation to teammates is...tells me Brodie carries and the other 3 need to be carried...issue here is Gio use to be a carrier but now also needs to be carried, Hanifin needs to be carried unless something changes this year...so basically as things stand now looks like we only have one guy who can carry...Anderson and one we don’t know in Valimaki (but safe bet he can Carry (Don’t need a partner to be good or can be good with anyone) but we need to wait and see, and 3 D that need to be carried (helped to be good) in Tanev, Gio as of late and Hanifin 

that’s not looking like a good mix but I could be wrong?

Who is gonna QB our power play now?  We don’t have a big shot from the blue line either.  In my mind, we need to get offensive D even it means trading Hanifin.  

2 minutes ago, crazyflames said:

Tyson Barrie can replace TJ, and it should be pretty cheap in the short term deal, don’t let Vancouver get him.  

This too has crossed my mind but he’s not gonna be cheap and if that happens then we have absolutely zero wiggle room for 2nd RW 

so we either add Barrie and have a so so D and a stale and weak (not gritty or determined) forward line the same as the past few years...or

Don’t  add Barrie and still have a so so D and an option to at the very least add a 1/2 decent RW with some size and drive in Toffoil...or

make a move for AP and move Hanifin and sure up the D for a few years including after Gio is done in 2 years or less...or 

make a move for Hall and move out JG in a trade for some RW help and maybe an asset or two or even a small boost to the D or something 

the latter two could aslo both be done but leaves very little wiggle room and your also opening some more holes if both are done of the options I’d rather:

sign Hall, trade JG to NYR fro Strome to lock down the RW and something else either a 3rd RS D or prospect or draft pick or heck maybe another forward with some skill size and grit or something 

that option seems to have the less holes being made...BUT totally depends on Hall signing 

I guess it boils down to what are BT’s options, once some of the FAs make some decisions 

23 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

This too has crossed my mind but he’s not gonna be cheap and if that happens then we have absolutely zero wiggle room for 2nd RW 

so we either add Barrie and have a so so D and a stale and weak (not gritty or determined) forward line the same as the past few years...or

Don’t  add Barrie and still have a so so D and an option to at the very least add a 1/2 decent RW with some size and drive in Toffoil...or

make a move for AP and move Hanifin and sure up the D for a few years including after Gio is done in 2 years or less...or 

make a move for Hall and move out JG in a trade for some RW help and maybe an asset or two or even a small boost to the D or something 

the latter two could aslo both be done but leaves very little wiggle room and your also opening some more holes if both are done of the options I’d rather:

sign Hall, trade JG to NYR fro Strome to lock down the RW and something else either a 3rd RS D or prospect or draft pick or heck maybe another forward with some skill size and grit or something 

that option seems to have the less holes being made...BUT totally depends on Hall signing 

I guess it boils down to what are BT’s options, once some of the FAs make some decisions 

Vancouver is not gonna pay 4M for TB, otherwise they would offered Tanev.  I think it’s most likely 2.5M for 1 year deal.  I don’t thing BT is moving JG this year.  It’s stupid to move someone with 70 points and replacing with someone with 70 points without knowing the chemistry.  JG is the cheapest contract you can find in this league.  Calgary must find a way to add into offence through forward or D without subtracting significant scoring front in order to have a chance.  Otherwise it’s too big of gamble.  Besides we had so many changes already, I don’t think BT wants to blow up the core this year.    Our PP is gonna look weak now after losing all the offensive Ds and no change in front.  

I think people are making the wrong comparisons here . Just because we lost Brodie and signed Tanev, everybidy is all over the Brodie vs Tanev train..

Truth is, TJ is being replaced by Andersson. Tanev replaces Hamonic . He may not be as quick to jump into a fight, but the guy busts his hump each and every night. He has always been hard for us to play against and makes a great pass out of the zone . 

He's injury prone because he puts his body on the line all the time .

I like this signing..I believe he upgrades Hamonic

12 minutes ago, crazyflames said:

Vancouver is not gonna pay 4M for TB, otherwise they would offered Tanev.  I think it’s most likely 2.5M for 1 year deal.  I don’t thing BT is moving JG this year.  It’s stupid to move someone with 70 points and replacing with someone with 70 points without knowing the chemistry.  JG is the cheapest contract you can find in this league.  Calgary must find a way to add into offence through forward or D without subtracting significant scoring front in order to have a chance.  Otherwise it’s too big of gamble.  Besides we had so many changes already, I don’t think BT wants to blow up the core this year.    Our PP is gonna look weak now after losing all the offensive Ds and no change in front.  

I don't believe he's done.

I also love the fact that the ones blowing up the Markstrom deal are all Vancouver and Edmonton fans.. lol

Interesting note too.. they Said last night there was a 3 year deal on the table for Talbot .. not a circle back, or discussion ...that. Tells me BT was eyeing a Talbot/Markstrom tandem.. not a Talbot or Markstrom

11 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I don't believe he's done.

BT needs to do heck of job to convince TH to come to Calgary to win the Stanley cup and he has the elite goalie.  For TH it’s winning, and he knows that he is not gonna get a big contract this year under flat salary cap.  There are not many teams TH will consider either.  Edmonton and Canucks don’t have the goalie or D to win the Stanley Cup.  Toronto can’t afford him, not even 4M.  Only Colorado has tons of cap space and can be a cup contender. But winning in hometown will be special for TH, he knows it.  Calgary flames will look extremely good if TH signs cheap, he knows that we have a winning chance.  For BT it’s winning now too before it will be too expensive to keep the core.  

My dislike for the Tanev deal aside, at least they are addressing being a tougher team to play against. This needs to continue and I hope the team is still making a pitch to Hall. Yes I’m aware of the cap situation but there can still be trades made to fix that as well. 

These changes will be all for not imo if they can’t improve their top lines ability to forecheck and play a north south game. Swapping in Hall for Gaudreau improves them on this area. 

so more changes are needed, otherwise I’d be hard pressed to argue the club looks substantially better going into next season. 

4 minutes ago, crazyflames said:

BT needs to do heck of job to convince TH to come to Calgary to win the Stanley cup and he has the elite goalie.  For TH it’s winning, and he knows that he is not gonna get a big contract this year under flat salary cap.  There are not many teams TH will consider either.  Edmonton and Canucks don’t have the goalie or D to win the Stanley Cup.  Toronto can’t afford him, not even 4M.  Only Colorado has tons of cap space and can be a cup contender. But winning in hometown will be special for TH, he knows it.  Calgary flames will look extremely good if TH signs cheap, he knows that we have a winning chance.  

Yup.. I think it will come down to what they're saying where he can take a short deal to get a best shot at a cup.  Colorado can give him the big money one or 2 year deal.

But I also believe what they said where he is going to want to be a big part of it ,not just a passenger ..  Colorado is so loaded he will essentially be a passenger 

Calgary gives him all of that.. longer term, he would be a central figure in any success 

I've heard we were one of the ones making a pitch.. I dunno unless the money is bad I can't stop feeling we have an inside track on him

6 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Yup.. I think it will come down to what they're saying where he can take a short deal to get a best shot at a cup.  Colorado can give him the big money one or 2 year deal.

But I also believe what they said where he is going to want to be a big part of it ,not just a passenger ..  Colorado is so loaded he will essentially be a passenger 

Calgary gives him all of that.. longer term, he would be a central figure in any success 

I've heard we were one of the ones making a pitch.. I dunno unless the money is bad I can't stop feeling we have an inside track on him

Yes money aside, we are must front running on Hall.  It’s his hometown for God sake.  Also we almost pull the deal last year with TH, even not considering trading JG away.  How can’t we not do it now.  You sign Hall now then ship JG in 1 year time.  For now you keep them both and try to win the cup while GIO still here.  I mean that got to be the plan right?!  It doesn’t make any sense that we stop here.  Toffoli is good but he is not TH.  We don’t need another guy who can score 15 goals, we need someone who can put up 60 points.  Look TB did, look the fire power they got.  Remember the year Paul Kariya took 1M deal?  Why TH can’t take 4M and trying to have a chance to win the cup in hometown.  

5 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I agree I think we do have an inside track on TH and also I think he becomes our “star” player up front...he’s also a home town boy and how much would he love to be the hero to bring the cup home to Cgy?  I think that will be a huge part of TH coming here much like Tavares did in TO 

I also agree he makes the top line better not by scoring but by making it tougher to play against so TH is better than JG and moving JG out would open the door for Simeon the RW for the 2nd line...I’d rather upgrade Lindholm but I don’t think we can afford it...I really like an NYR trade but not sure they can afford his $ all be it it is affordable but they are tight however I see Strome as a perfect fit on our 2nd RW if not him Toffoil is the next best option so it could open a JG trade for prospects and picks 

I can totally see TH being the new Iginla only he’s on the LW...that would be so sweet

10 minutes ago, crazyflames said:

Yes money aside, we are must front running on Hall.  It’s his hometown for God sake.  Also we almost pull the deal last year with TH, even not considering trading JG away.  How can’t we not do it now.  You sign Hall now then ship JG in 1 year time.  For now you keep them both and try to win the cup while GIO still here.  I mean that got to be the plan right?!  It doesn’t make any sense that we stop here.  Toffoli is good but he is not TH.  We don’t need another guy who can score 15 goals, we need someone who can put up 60 points.  Look TB did, look the fire power they got.  

That unfortunately I don't think can happen.  Where we are cap wise at the moment , any money paid to Hall would have to be moved out. So it is pretty much Hall or Johnny.

Would not surprise me , in fact I'd be willing to guarantee he has some domino deals on the table 

Remeber we  can go 10% over .. so that's 8mill he can spend and worry about moving later

3 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

I agree I think we do have an inside track on TH and also I think he becomes our “star” player up front...he’s also a home town boy and how much would he love to be the hero to bring the cup home to Cgy?  I think that will be a huge part of TH coming here much like Tavares did in TO 

I also agree he makes the top line better not by scoring but by making it tougher to play against so TH is better than JG and moving JG out would open the door for Simeon the RW for the 2nd line...I’d rather upgrade Lindholm but I don’t think we can afford it...I really like an NYR trade but not sure they can afford his $ all be it it is affordable but they are tight however I see Strome as a perfect fit on our 2nd RW if not him Toffoil is the next best option so it could open a JG trade for prospects and picks 

I can totally see TH being the new Iginla only he’s on the LW...that would be so sweet

Oh 100%.. he has a golden opportunity to be the next Lanny..wouldn't surprise me one little bit if Lanny puts his #9 on the table for him 

We 

11 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

That unfortunately I don't think can happen.  Where we are cap wise at the moment , any money paid to Hall would have to be moved out. So it is pretty much Hall or Johnny.

Would not surprise me , in fact I'd be willing to guarantee he has some domino deals on the table 

We got 6.5M cap space left, we can still ship out Derek Ryan or even Sam Bennett.  The point is that you don’t get a chance to chase player like Taylor Hall every year.  Now it’s right in front of you to grab him, so whatever it takes.  Replacing JG by TH is probably a long-term approach, but I think that we need to win now.    This is no way we lock TH for long-term deal now after those 2 deals we just did.  So we are not gonna lose JG just in order to sign TH for short-term deal.  It doesn’t make any sense.  

Essentially today we have better goaltending but the same team. IMO we need a pp quarterback and a shooter with 6mill left. Mang gets 1.25 - 1.5 , ollie get 800. let say that leaves us 4 million. so whos left?

PP quarterback - Barrie , Gustafsson, Vatanen (maybe)

Scorers - TH, Hoffman, Dadonov (probably not as he would be the only Russian) Toffoli

To trade Ryan we probably need to add Ollie. If that happened that leaves us 8 mill and change and anything can happen.

I cant see them dropping all that money on Marks and Tanev and thinking that we can win with that. Without a trade you can probably say goodbye to TH and Hoffman. They are probably out on Barrie too or they wouldn't have signed Tanev. 

Im thinking its Gus (he would have to play right) for 1.5 - 2 as we stand right now and then wait and see.  

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

I don’t disagree with this but imo the Flames still don’t have the forwards to execute that sound system he is referring too.

More work remains imo. 

Yep. On day two, ideally we would sign Hall. If that doesn't happen we should be looking to add at least one depth forward:

Craig Smith: scores 20 from the 3rd line, good skater and solid defensively, can play all forward positions, RHS.

Erik Haula: Really fast, can play up and down the lineup, can play center, good forechecker.

Jesper Fast: Good skater, good defensively, RHS RW.

Corey Perry: Veteran RW, doesn't give you a lot in the regular season, but can be difference maker in the playoffs.

Matt Nieto: 4th liner who is a great skater, plays with energy, good on the forecheck and on the PK.

Josh Leivo: Has a good shot, has skill to produce, RHS RW.

Kyle Clifford: 4th liner brings physical edge.

Matt Martin: 4th liner brings physical edge.

I would still like to see one more defenseman as well.

Trevor Van Riemsdyk: Solid RHS D, 3rd pair.

Troy Stecher: Good skater, RHS, 3rd pair.

Jan Rutta: Size, RHS, 6/7 defenseman.

Travis Hamonic: RHS, physical edge.

Ideally Hall signs and we address the other spots via trade.

17 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don’t disagree with this but imo the Flames still don’t have the forwards to execute that sound system he is referring too.

More work remains imo. 

Oh totally there is ..     anybody who thinks he's done hasn't followed BT very long.

You go after your top targets..then wait for prices to come down and see who needs to make deals. Toronto as it sits right now is over the cap.

Right now i think next steps are totally tied to Hall..we get him we go one way..we don't we go another .

Archived