Build Current Roster From Past 20 Years Of First Round Picks

Sobieit

What if you were in charge of scouting and drafting for the Flames from the 2000 NHL entry draft until now, what would your roster look like??

Rules:

Pick a player you would have selected with the 1st round pick from each draft year starting with the 2000 NHL draft.

The player must have been drafted lower then the position the Flames own (Ex. In 2007 they owned the 24 overall, can only select the original pick (Backlund) or lower)

Must pick 4 LW, 4 C, 4 RW, 3 RD, 3 LD and 2 goalies (Players must play their position, cannot have a team of all centers)

For the years the Flames didn't have a pick assume they did:

2018 select a player 12 or lower

2015 select a player 15 or lower

2010 select a player 13 or lower

Players must still be active

Would be interesting to see what kind of teams everyone comes up with! Would this team contend for the cup?

Here is my crack at it:

LW C  RW
1st Line Brad Marchand (2006) Patrice Bergeron (2003) David Pasternak (2014)
2nd Line Mathew Tkatchuk (2016) Mathew Barzal (2015) Nikita Kucherov (2011)
3rd Line Jamie Benn (2007) Ryan O'Reilly (2009) Mark Stone (2010)
4th Line Jakob Pelletier (2019) Sean Monahan (2013) Justin Williams (2000)
  LD RD  
1st D Duncan Keith (2002) Kris Letang (2005)  
2nd D Colton Parayko (2012) John Carlson (2008)  
3rd D Juuso Valimaki (2017) Noah Dobson (2018)  

Starter Pekka Rinne (2004)    
Backup Mike Smith (2001)    

I'll try to do mine a little bit different

2019- too early to tell, I will stick with Pelletier

2018- Noah Dobson would have been the pick if it wasn't traded

2017- I would still go with Valimaki

2016- Still Tkachuk

2015- I wanted Konecny before the pick was moved

2014- I'll mix it up, Brayden Point

2013- Still Monahan

2012- Connor Hellebuyck

2011- Gaudreau

2010- Flames should have picked 13th, I would go Tarasenko although that regime wouldn't have went Russian lol

2009- Mike Hoffman

2008- Roman Josi

2007- Jamie Benn

2006- Jeff Petry

2005- Kris Letang

2004- David Krejci

2003- Patrice Bergeron

2002- Duncan Keith

2001- Craig Anderson

2000- Justin Williams

My lineup

Benn-Bergeron-Tarasenko

Gaudreau-Point-Hoffman

Tkachuk-Monahan-Konecny

Pelletier-Krejci-Williams

Josi-Letang

Keith-Petry

Valimaki-Dobson

Hellebuyck

Anderson

Question.  If you are including the picks that were traded away in player deals would we be able to set to the Flames original draft spots in years they traded down?  Examples, Backlund and Chucko were trade downs and '08 they traded their first for Cammy and re-acquired a later pick for Tanguay, were originally supposed to pick #17.

I took maybe a slightly different approach. I tried to build a roster i could win a cup with so I was looking for certain roles and fits. i wanted the LS/RS balance on D so certain players, like Kuchervo, who are stars didn't make it based on roles. Here goes:

2000 - Justin Williams ( basically your only option)

2001- Craig Anderson. (not a lot of options but i like the idea of him as a backup plus that veteran who needs a ring)

2002- Duncan Keith - Fairly self explanatory i think

2003- Patrice Bergeron - Allows me to keep the best line in hockey and one of the games best 2 way centers

2004 - Goligoski. Not a lot of strong options, but he fit one of my last needs. As i said i build this team a certain way. 

2005 - Letang one of the best RS dmen in the game when healthy 

2006- Marchand. Probably one of the best LWs in the game. 

2007 - I stuck with Backlund. For the role I wanted (3rd line center) he is one of the tops in the game for me. 

2008- John Carlson. Was close btween him and Josi but the RS was more of a need for me. 

2009 - ROR - Strong two way center and I realy like my 2nd line now. 

2010 - Mark Stone. One of the best RWs in the game. 

2011 - John Gibson. Not having Kucherov may be a surprise but again i was trying to build a more complete team. I also think Gibson is one of the best goalie in the league just stuck behind a bad team. 

2012 - Slavin - one of the most underrated Dmen in the game for me. Two way stud. 

2013 - Anthony Mantha - Monahan was a great pick but i'm deep in center. Mantha fits the role I was looking for

2014-  David Pastrnak - one of the best RWers in the game and allows me to run the best line in hockey out there. 

2015 - Kyle Connor - this is partly role based, but I also think Connor is one of the top play makers. 

2016 - Tkachuk - Self Explanatory. one of my favorite players in the game but he also fits the role. Plus I get to pair him with Backlund. 

2017 - Robert Thomas, I was close on Valimaki but I love Robert Thomas. i also needed the role. 

2018 - Joel Farabee - Totally role based. I needed a LW. 

2019 - I'm fine stick with Pelltier. Too early for me to get passionate about someone else. 

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak

Kyle Connor - ROR - Stone

Tkachuk - Backlund - Anthony Mantha

Joel Farabee - Robert Thomas - Williams

Slavin - Carlsson

Keith - Letang

Goligoski - Pesce

Gibson

Anderson

On 5/19/2020 at 11:38 AM, Sobieit said:

What if you were in charge of scouting and drafting for the Flames from the 2000 NHL entry draft until now, what would your roster look like??

Rules:

Pick a player you would have selected with the 1st round pick from each draft year starting with the 2000 NHL draft.

The player must have been drafted lower then the position the Flames own (Ex. In 2007 they owned the 24 overall, can only select the original pick (Backlund) or lower)

Must pick 4 LW, 4 C, 4 RW, 3 RD, 3 LD and 2 goalies (Players must play their position, cannot have a team of all centers)

For the years the Flames didn't have a pick assume they did:

2018 select a player 12 or lower

2015 select a player 15 or lower

2010 select a player 13 or lower

Players must still be active

Would be interesting to see what kind of teams everyone comes up with! Would this team contend for the cup?

I have a lot of time on my hands... I love this challenge, but wanted something more difficult.

If you're up for it, give this a try, go back to every Flames pick from 2000-2019 and you build a roster out of players selected within 5 spots of a Flames pick. Traded picks aren't eligible to be used, so no 1st in 2015 for example. I want to do this because it's easy for the untrained eye to say the Flames should have taken Pasta over Bennett, however Pasta wasn't even in the conversation with that pick, a 5 pick range seems to be fair regarding who they could have taken

Here's my shot at it.

2016- Tkachuk (6th)

2014- Nylander(went 8th)

2013- Monahan(6th), Theodore(went 26th)

2012- Gostisbehere(went 78th), 

2011- JT Miller(went 15th), Kucherov(went 58th), Gaudreau(104)

2010- Grubauer(went 113th)

2009- Palmieri(went 26th)

2008- Carlson(went 27th), Stepan (went 51st), Henrique(went 82nd), Brodie (114th)

2007- Perron(went 26th)

2006- Foligno(went 28th)

2005- Quick(went 72nd)

2004- Green(went 29th)

2003- Carter(went 11th), Byfuglien (went 245th)

Gaudreau-Monahan-Kucherov

Tkachuk-Carter-Nylander

Perron-Henrique-Palmieri

Foligno-Stepan-Miller

Theodore-Carlson

Brodie-Byfuglien

Gostisbehere-Green

Quick

Grubauer

Archived