Bryan Little/Matt Calvert Injury

conundrumed

11 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Love the team, hate the team. Love the player, hate the player. This is the last thing any hockey fan wants to see.

Just read that Little has a ruptured eardrum and is suffering vertigo. Not putting blame to Ehlers, he must feel awful. But jfc guys that whistle high shots like this.

That sound when the puck hit the helmet in real time.  *shivers*

I think this is a similar injury to what ended Scott Stevens career.  I remember he was interviewed years back and said he's going to hear ringing in his ear for the rest of his life.

7 hours ago, cross16 said:

Absolutely ridiculous that play wasn’t blown dead.I mean based on the rules I think they actually got it right but that rule needs updating. 

league continues to be joke when it comes to head injuries.

They literally watched a puck to the head and didn't blow it dead. The nux score 12 seconds later. How long were they willing to wait? He was obviously in distress.

Memo to players. If your teammate looks really injured, in your end, your stick is now a tomahawk. Launch it at whomever you like. That might get a whistle.🙄

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

They literally watched a puck to the head and didn't blow it dead. The nux score 12 seconds later. How long were they willing to wait? He was obviously in distress.

Memo to players. If your teammate looks really injured, in your end, your stick is now a tomahawk. Launch it at whomever you like. That might get a whistle.🙄

I mean I kind of get it from the on ice officials. It wasn’t clear at the time it was serious and the rule is the Avs need possession. 
it’s the whole needing possession thing that needs work. 

58 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I mean I kind of get it from the on ice officials. It wasn’t clear at the time it was serious and the rule is the Avs need possession. 
it’s the whole needing possession thing that needs work. 

So I'd coach guys to whip a stick at the puck. Stop play at all costs. 10 minute misconduct, whatevs. Punch the nearest guy in the face to stop play. That'll police it if the NHL can't.

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

If this was soccer, then kick the ball out of bounds to stop play for your opponent.  Your opponent will throw the ball back in to you as a thank you gesture. 

What's the equivalent in the NHL?  Should the Canucks have conceded an own goal because it was a serious injury?

that’s tough in the situation. Sure you’d love to see them do that but at the same time their minds are completely focussed on scoring. Not easy to give up on that so hard for me to blame the players. 

I just think the rule should state if a puck makes any contact in the head or head area it is to be blown dead immediately and possession should not matter. That or just take that rule out all together and blow the play dead. If you are Concerned  about players faking injuries then penalize them if they do. 

Goalie loses helmet, play blown dead immediately. Player loses helmet, has to vacate the ice immediately. They want to avoid head injuries, I get it.

Player gets a puck to the head in his defensive zone, 4 ref's use their discretion? Total oxymoron. "Well I'm not going to whistle it if you don't, well I'm not going to whistle it if you don't"...

12 seconds, within which, Calvert tried to get up and couldn't.

Even Petterson initially went to Calvert to see if he was okay, before realizing there's been no whistle. You can see him in that clip holding his hand up in the air that Calvert is seriously injured. Vancouver's most volatile scorer looked like he didn't want the play to continue.

But the Third Reich strikes again. So what, they get a call from hockey ops?

Players get suspended for flagrant stupidity. Ref's should too. It's not a shot off the ankle, it's a shot off of the head. The #1 mandate of the NHL, and your refs don't know what to do.

37 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Goalie loses helmet, play blown dead immediately. Player loses helmet, has to vacate the ice immediately. They want to avoid head injuries, I get it.

Player gets a puck to the head in his defensive zone, 4 ref's use their discretion? Total oxymoron. "Well I'm not going to whistle it if you don't, well I'm not going to whistle it if you don't"...

12 seconds, within which, Calvert tried to get up and couldn't.

Even Petterson initially went to Calvert to see if he was okay, before realizing there's been no whistle. You can see him in that clip holding his hand up in the air that Calvert is seriously injured. Vancouver's most volatile scorer looked like he didn't want the play to continue.

But the Third Reich strikes again. So what, they get a call from hockey ops?

Players get suspended for flagrant stupidity. Ref's should too. It's not a shot off the ankle, it's a shot off of the head. The #1 mandate of the NHL, and your refs don't know what to do.

Good description.

I've talked to a few that believe that the play continues.

I don't get it.

Considering the buffoons we have seen calling games, I'm not surprised.

The only time a lineman is "accountable" for a lack of call is when a goal is scored.

Refs let the games get out of hand because they refuse to call the dirty plays and a team takes it into their own hands.

No accountability.

38 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Good description.

I've talked to a few that believe that the play continues.

I don't get it.

Considering the buffoons we have seen calling games, I'm not surprised.

The only time a lineman is "accountable" for a lack of call is when a goal is scored.

Refs let the games get out of hand because they refuse to call the dirty plays and a team takes it into their own hands.

No accountability.

Food for thought. If a ref slipped and took a dump in floater in the head, you'd hear all three of the others whistles. Matt Calvert takes it right off of the stick of one of the most dangerous snipes in the NHL, trying to snipe. Nothing. They have the same helmets...

Archived