"Bunch of jerks" Canes

conundrumed

31 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

And you saw the pregame warmups with the Flames whipping pucks in the air and trying to catch them on their sticks?

Is that showboating or are there different sets of rules?

Ovie actually having a personality and letting it shine through is one of the things I love about him.

We have these trained robotic interviews and this ridiculous code of conduct that is so tight-lipped conservative and nerve-wracking for the interviewee....why?

My favourite interviews are with Russian players. They haven's been trained that way so you actually get honesty from them.

Carolina does it after games for a little more entertainment value for the kids.

And this is a problem?

But Vegas' gaudy opening ceremonies are cool.

Sounds like a double standard to me.

If you don't like what Carolina does, then just don't worry about it.

I don't like what Vegas does, but I don't care that they do it.

Let's lay to rest the soapboxes.

As my daughter always says to me, "just trying to live". lol

Players do a lot of strange things before games that I would not consider showboating. Some goalies move their eyes side to side, some flick pucks, some drink purple Gatorade etc. That is simply warmup. 

The poor responses to interviewers are the result of poor question construction. I feel badly when a reporter asks a dumb question like "tell me about that goal you scored", or, "What is is like playing with the guy who just passed you the puck before you scored." What is a guy supposed to say apart from the obvious?

I don't like any of the opening ceremonies. Just start the darn game already. Vegas is a little over the top for me, so I don't have any interest in it.

I hope that ice hockey doesn't turn into the other sports. I cannot stand to watch NFL anymore because it has just become stupid. The analysts are difficult to watch and are embarrassing. There is no way I can watch soccer with all of the drama in it. I have seen 14-year-old girls show more resilience than soccer players. This game is good enough without the garbage that other sports need.

I won't worry about what Carolina does. Few people seem to thus far. Heck, it took Cherry months to realize that they were "a bunch of jerks."

11 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Players do a lot of strange things before games that I would not consider showboating. Some goalies move their eyes side to side, some flick pucks, some drink purple Gatorade etc. That is simply warmup. 

The poor responses to interviewers are the result of poor question construction. I feel badly when a reporter asks a dumb question like "tell me about that goal you scored", or, "What is is like playing with the guy who just passed you the puck before you scored." What is a guy supposed to say apart from the obvious?

I don't like any of the opening ceremonies. Just start the darn game already. Vegas is a little over the top for me, so I don't have any interest in it.

I hope that ice hockey doesn't turn into the other sports. I cannot stand to watch NFL anymore because it has just become stupid. The analysts are difficult to watch and are embarrassing. There is no way I can watch soccer with all of the drama in it. I have seen 14-year-old girls show more resilience than soccer players. This game is good enough without the garbage that other sports need.

I won't worry about what Carolina does. Few people seem to thus far. Heck, it took Cherry months to realize that they were "a bunch of jerks."

I've been to a lot of games, I always like going early for warmups. I've never seen that.

I also can't get behind Cherry's Toe Blake era takes on "respectful".

The guy's a dinosaur.

"I'll tell ya I know the game has changed a lot, but I'll tell ya".

Gimme a break.

The CBC must be terrified about what comes after Don Cherry.

To funny.

Looks like he's got good talent coming up behind him. lol

14 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

I don't even understand that logic cross. Cherry is now not a player or coach, he is explicitly a celebrity who is paid to be a celebrity. Note how he ended up replacing that younger Strombozo with the socks who initially was expected to replace him, and had no staying power. Had Cherry gone away years ago, it is likely that these little boys would lack proper guidance to know that there is such a thing known as being a "bad winner". What was wrong with raising your stick to the fans at centre ice? Too subdued?

I cannot even believe that this is being contested. Since when is being well-mannered a bad thing? 

This isn't an either/or argument, nor did I present it as such. I like what the Flames do and have zero issue with it. Just because I like what the Canes do doesn't mean that all NHL teams have to start doing this. My point is that it works for the team and it works for the fans so why should we care?

We can celebrate players like Sean Monahan just the same as we can players with personality or teams with personality like the Canes, we don't need to choose nor do we need to insult one or the other too. No one is contesting that someone can't be well-mannered, we'er contesting that why is someone who chooses to be different ridiculed? Why is what the Canes doing considered to not be well mannered? I don't view what the Canes are doing as an insult to anyone or disrespectful just the same as I don't think it's disrespectful when a football teams do similar celebrations. There is typically no mocking of the opponent so where is the classless element to this?

Like the SJS game where Kane spouted off and the MSM touted the next game as a fight to the death, this has been overblown.

Do I think the Duck-duck thing was stupid?  Yes.

Do I care?  No.

Unfortunately, this was a team celly that started as a thing to do, and turned into something the fans (some of them) waited for.

I don't care for it.

I don't care if they do it.

If they make the playoffs, I hope to not see it against my team or a team I cheer for.  Becuase that means the Canes won.

Archived