"Bunch of jerks" Canes

conundrumed

Bwahaha.

This made my day. Cherry and his 1950's mentality calls out the Canes as "A Bunch of Jerks" for their celebrations.

So Carolina responds with limited edition "Bunch of Jerks" t-shirts.

Should've copyrighted it Don bwahaha.

Freaking classic. See Don, this what a sense of humour looks like.:lol::lol::lol:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hurricanes-respond-don-cherrys-jerks-comment-t-shirts/

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Bwahaha.

This made my day. Cherry and his 1950's mentality calls out the Canes as "A Bunch of Jerks" for their celebrations.

So Carolina responds with limited edition "Bunch of Jerks" t-shirts.

Should've copyrighted it Don bwahaha.

Freaking classic. See Don, this what a sense of humour looks like.:lol::lol::lol:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hurricanes-respond-don-cherrys-jerks-comment-t-shirts/

I agree with Cherry on this one in a big way. Players demonstrate self-discipline and sportsmanship by behaving a little more respectfully. OTOH, it was the Oilers, correct? Maybe that explains it. Or the fact that the movie "Deliverance" was filmed right behind their arena.

Just now, conundrumed said:

Really?

Pretty black and white.

I say black. You say white.

It's pretty clear on agree or not.

We need a poll. JC people.

I'm not marching avenues in righteousness. Just mo.

And it is actually funny. :)

I have not read the stories about this incident very carefully. What exactly were they so happy about at this point of the season? They hate Edmonton too?

3 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

My understanding is that they have been doing this for a few months. Doing the limbo is a bit much.

The baseball game, bowling, on and on, I love it. The NHL is so buried in, "oh that's disrepectful".

Just suck all fun right out of the game.

"Don't even think about it".

Blockchain that.

It's supposed to be fun.

30 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

The baseball game, bowling, on and on, I love it. The NHL is so buried in, "oh that's disrepectful".

Just suck all fun right out of the game.

"Don't even think about it".

Blockchain that.

It's supposed to be fun.

Most definitely!

Screw disrespect & politeness.

If NHL players, teams, or fans are bothered by such team theatrics or individual cellys perhaps they should play or watch badminton.

Cherry is such an awesome envoy for the Canadian military; past & present, but his stodgy attitude regarding the Canes contradicts the freedoms our soldiers fought for.

3 minutes ago, Pyromancer said:

Most definitely!

Screw disrespect & politeness.

If NHL players, teams, or fans are bothered by such team theatrics or individual cellys perhaps they should play or watch badminton.

Cherry is such an awesome envoy for the Canadian military; past & present, but his stodgy attitude regarding the Canes contradicts the freedoms our soldiers fought for.

We're the only free world country not allowed to drink in public, lol.

Other countries have learned to lighten up.

Don Cherry taking on the Canes fans, that are actually allowed to tailgate and drink in public and have fun.

And come up with t-shirt ideas...lol

Welcome to Toronto:mad:

I think it's also very hypocritical that the guy who has built a career on flashy suits and a blunt opinion is calling players out for doing something "outside" the norms. I respect Cherry a lot but he should have gone away 5-6 years ago.

Personally I love it and I hope they keep doing it. Hockey is a game and games are supposed to be fun so good on the Canes for reminding us of that. If you don't like it, beat them, simple as that. 

18 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

I agree with Cherry on this one in a big way. Players demonstrate self-discipline and sportsmanship by behaving a little more respectfully.

I agree with Cowtownguy here.

Win with class.  Don't celebrate until you've won the Cup.  Winning a regular season game doesn't warrant a Cirque du Soleil moment.

I wouldn't call them a bunch of jerks, but I wish they wouldn't do it.  I find it embarrassing as a hockey fan to watch a bunch of grown men play duck-duck-goose after a hockey game as a 'celebration'.  If I was a canes fan, I'd be trying to get out of the stands or turning off the TV before the final horn just to avoid such a spectacle.  It's not funny or cute imo, just cringy.  Maybe the kids like it.

and i'm with the other guy.

Other leagues do this without issue but now this is Hockey and it's "classless" to have any fun.  I just think its a continuation of stupid hockey "culture" that I wish would change. Players get ripped for being too robotic and now they are also getting ripped for having fun, it's like they can't win. 

I don't disagree about Tim's point about how it's selling a game in a market that doesn't want it I think he is right there, and I will admit the duck-duck-goose game wasn't my favorite idea. But at the end of the day that team is there and this is the current reality, so as long as that is reality and the fans like it and that team likes it i'll always fail to see why people have a problem with this. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

and i'm with the other guy.

Other leagues do this without issue but now this is Hockey and it's "classless" to have any fun.  I just think its a continuation of stupid hockey "culture" that I wish would change. Players get ripped for being too robotic and now they are also getting ripped for having fun, it's like they can't win. 

I don't disagree about Tim's point about how it's selling a game in a market that doesn't want it I think he is right there, and I will admit the duck-duck-goose game wasn't my favorite idea. But at the end of the day that team is there and this is the current reality, so as long as that is reality and the fans like it and that team likes it i'll always fail to see why people have a problem with this. 

Maybe, just maybe, I'll pay to watch Ferland and Hamilton do The Iron Lotus from Blades of Glory.

Otherwise, I go to watch hockey man.  I would rather not see this extra curricular stuff.  

22 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Maybe, just maybe, I'll pay to watch Ferland and Hamilton do The Iron Lotus from Blades of Glory.

Otherwise, I go to watch hockey man.  I would rather not see this extra curricular stuff.  

Sign me up for that. 

And to clarify my post wasnt directed at anyone here. i don't like how the media constantly asks for more personality from hockey players and then gets on them for showing it. 

Sign me up for that. 

And to clarify my post wasnt directed at anyone here. i don't like how the media constantly asks for more personality from hockey players and then gets on them for showing it. 

Maybe trades heating up will give them something relevant to discuss.

This subject matter is pathetic. Why does anybody care? Is it hurting anyone? Are Canes fans complaining about it? A matter of decorum?:rolleyes:

It's harmless. Unlike if you go back on Cherry and listen to his old rants about Quebecers and Europeans.

Sign me up for that. 

Ice hockey in itself is enjoyable. Making millions is in itself enjoyable although I wouldn't know. Having millions of fans is enjoyable. Now they need to showboat on and on and on like that!? I think that Cherry was far too kind when picking his words.

Sean Monahan is a true leader and mentor precisely because he is so understated. He doesn't go around whining when he breaks multiple bones, and he doesn't demand a massive parade march when he scores. If these snowflakes, who make millions of dollars and have legions of fans adoring them to the extent that some leave the country because they cannot eat a simple meal in private (Pavel Bure...don't blame him), cannot win a game without a circus taking place, then maybe they need parents or like therapy.

Only adult men who call themselves "Dougie" are this fricken childish, impulsive, and unprofessional. But hey flakey, why not have some fun when you are so hard done by? 

9 hours ago, cross16 said:

I think it's also very hypocritical that the guy who has built a career on flashy suits and a blunt opinion is calling players out for doing something "outside" the norms. I respect Cherry a lot but he should have gone away 5-6 years ago.

Personally I love it and I hope they keep doing it. Hockey is a game and games are supposed to be fun so good on the Canes for reminding us of that. If you don't like it, beat them, simple as that. 

I don't even understand that logic cross. Cherry is now not a player or coach, he is explicitly a celebrity who is paid to be a celebrity. Note how he ended up replacing that younger Strombozo with the socks who initially was expected to replace him, and had no staying power. Had Cherry gone away years ago, it is likely that these little boys would lack proper guidance to know that there is such a thing known as being a "bad winner". What was wrong with raising your stick to the fans at centre ice? Too subdued?

I cannot even believe that this is being contested. Since when is being well-mannered a bad thing? 

34 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Maybe trades heating up will give them something relevant to discuss.

This subject matter is pathetic. Why does anybody care? Is it hurting anyone? Are Canes fans complaining about it? A matter of decorum?:rolleyes:

It's harmless. Unlike if you go back on Cherry and listen to his old rants about Quebecers and Europeans.

To me, it is a matter of decorum, professionalism, and cultural values. Showboating is repugnant. Watch that OV hot stick video, and you will see Backstrom shying away just a little bit. Good player.

As stated above, I know little about this issue with the 'Canes. My guess is that they start their little parties after the games, rather than before games. Now why would a team do that? Oh yeah, because they are gloating and have nothing to showboat about before the game. 

3 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

To me, it is a matter of decorum, professionalism, and cultural values. Showboating is repugnant. Watch that OV hot stick video, and you will see Backstrom shying away just a little bit. Good player.

As stated above, I know little about this issue with the 'Canes. My guess is that they start their little parties after the games, rather than before games. Now why would a team do that? Oh yeah, because they are gloating and have nothing to showboat about before the game. 

And you saw the pregame warmups with the Flames whipping pucks in the air and trying to catch them on their sticks?

Is that showboating or are there different sets of rules?

Ovie actually having a personality and letting it shine through is one of the things I love about him.

We have these trained robotic interviews and this ridiculous code of conduct that is so tight-lipped conservative and nerve-wracking for the interviewee....why?

My favourite interviews are with Russian players. They haven's been trained that way so you actually get honesty from them.

Carolina does it after games for a little more entertainment value for the kids.

And this is a problem?

But Vegas' gaudy opening ceremonies are cool.

Sounds like a double standard to me.

If you don't like what Carolina does, then just don't worry about it.

I don't like what Vegas does, but I don't care that they do it.

Let's lay to rest the soapboxes.

As my daughter always says to me, "just trying to live". lol

I find the whole thing funny, I don't get the whole "bad winner" or showboating thing, its not like the losing team has to sit and watch they are back in the dressing room.  Most teams win and blast music and dance in their locker room post win anyways why not do something different.  Its also weird the difference between sports, a CFL offensive lineman who doesn't even score the touchdown is a hero for going to the stands and chugging a beer while there is still more game to be played, but hockey players need to all act a certain way.  Don't overcelebrate goals, don't dress flashy and give the same old cliched interviews.

12 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I find the whole thing funny, I don't get the whole "bad winner" or showboating thing, its not like the losing team has to sit and watch they are back in the dressing room.  Most teams win and blast music and dance in their locker room post win anyways why not do something different.  Its also weird the difference between sports, a CFL offensive lineman who doesn't even score the touchdown is a hero for going to the stands and chugging a beer while there is still more game to be played, but hockey players need to all act a certain way.  Don't overcelebrate goals, don't dress flashy and give the same old cliched interviews.

Trust me on this one. Watch Russian interviews. lol

It is night and day. You do not hear NA players talk so openly, ever.

https://www.nhl.com/capitals/video/andre-burakovsky--exit-interview/t-277437440/c-60588603

Archived