Last Place Pengies

ABC923

So 18 games in and the penguins find themselves in last place in the east, and tied for second last in the league.  Is this an early season blip, or a sign that the core is finally aging out and the team is beginning to slide to irrelevance?  Having had so much success over the years, are sid and the gang just not motivated enough anymore?  Or is goaltending the only real issue?  Very curious to see how things shake out there.

3 hours ago, ABC923 said:

So 18 games in and the penguins find themselves in last place in the east, and tied for second last in the league.  Is this an early season blip, or a sign that the core is finally aging out and the team is beginning to slide to irrelevance?  Having had so much success over the years, are sid and the gang just not motivated enough anymore?  Or is goaltending the only real issue?  Very curious to see how things shake out there.

How many times have the PENS looked like they would bottom out.

They fire a coach and somehow make the plaoffs and win.

Early blip for them.

The East will not look the same in January.

I think they'll be fine. I've only watched a few games but I don't see a team that is getting bogged down with age/speed like the Blackhawks and Kings. I think they are missing Schultz and their so/so blueline is catching up with them a bit but I think it will balance out.

They are still scoring a lot, special teams are good, they just need to limit some chances and get better goaltending. It' turn around for them, just too many good players. 

18 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think they'll be fine. I've only watched a few games but I don't see a team that is getting bogged down with age/speed like the Blackhawks and Kings. I think they are missing Schultz and their so/so blueline is catching up with them a bit but I think it will balance out.

They are still scoring a lot, special teams are good, they just need to limit some chances and get better goaltending. It' turn around for them, just too many good players. 

It goes to show how goalies can look good and then look bad. Probably a number of reasons for that, the goalie and the D. But we all wanted Murray, but I think with the team we had until this year, he would probably look like he does now. Goalies can do a lot, but unless they’re elite, they can’t do everything.

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

It goes to show how goalies can look good and then look bad. Probably a number of reasons for that, the goalie and the D. But we all wanted Murray, but I think with the team we had until this year, he would probably look like he does now. Goalies can do a lot, but unless they’re elite, they can’t do everything.

Interesting enough there isn't a big difference from last year to this year for the Pens in terms of shots, scoring chances, and high danger chances given up. They are giving up more zone time and don't have the puck as much but they arn't letting it translate into more chances against. Would appear its a slump for Murray, which also isn't a shock given his injury history. 

28 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

They beat us 9-1

Since, I think we've gone like 7-3 while the Pens have gone 2-7.  What's a season changing game for both teams.

I am a little cautious after last night’s  game because it was an easy win, going into a tougher matchup tomorrow against Winnipeg. I think that’s the true test of this team tomorrow.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I am a little cautious after last night’s  game because it was an easy win, going into a tougher matchup tomorrow against Winnipeg. I think that’s the true test of this team tomorrow.

I think the next game is a test to playing well defensively and being able to stop a potent PP and be able to score on our PP's.

IIRC, WPG is 1st in PP efficiency at 32%.

Good on the PK at 80%, but they take a lot of them.

On 2018-11-20 at 9:57 AM, robrob74 said:

While Rittich struggled to buy ice time, Murray looked like the Messiah. How quickly fortunes can change.

• 1 month later...

Archived