Noah Hanifin

Going4TheCup

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought when Brouwer got bought out that Hanifin was going to come in at $5.5m or more. This is a number and term I can get behind. Even if he ends up being a 2nd pairing guy long term, $4.95m is right around what a 2nd pairing guy will cost you, but if he continues to grow like we expect he will look like a steal of a deal in a year or two.

I would have preferred a bridge. I don't like giving kids big contracts that they haven't earned yet. To Oilers like for my taste. I mean Hanafin has barely proven he is a top 4D let alone a 5 million dollar dman. 

That said, it's a fair deal given the term and chances are it turns into a bargain down the road. But if Hanafin doesn't fit in well (aka Hamonic) it's going to be a tough contract. 

3 minutes ago, kehatch said:

I would have preferred a bridge. I don't like giving kids big contracts that they haven't earned yet. To Oilers like for my taste. I mean Hanafin has barely proven he is a top 4D let alone a 5 million dollar dman. 

That said, it's a fair deal given the term and chances are it turns into a bargain down the road. But if Hanafin doesn't fit in well (aka Hamonic) it's going to be a tough contract. 

I don't think we should worry about Hamonic, the guy can play.  Hopefully he decides to play this year.

1 minute ago, kehatch said:

I don't see it that way, I think even if he tops out as a 2nd pairing D man...if he continues to put up points, especially if he becomes a 40-50pt D man it's a great value contract. It's got term and it's cap friendly. We could have risked a bridge but then this is an easy $6M+ contract extension. I get the apprehension but D men with his experience and potential are pretty tough to find. This bodes well for Tkachuks upcoming extension as well. 

I think Treliving is a magician with locking in players at great term and value.  There's nothing wrong with the way he does business in my opinion.  Johnny was pissed off, but Johnny didn't have any rights...Treliving called his bluff and he's still making 7 mil a year, so I'm not really feeling sorry for him.  Getting Noah locked in for 6 years at a AAV under 5 mil is incredible, especially when you're looking at the market for those players that project high.  We have an excellent assistant coach that specializes in developing D-men, and Gio is supposed to be one of the best captains in the league, so he'll be one heckuva mentor for Noah.  It's a fair deal for Noah, but I'm guessing he would have gotten a million more per year on most teams, but Treliving stuck with his plan and signed him to term and dollar that we can live with.  I don't get the sense - aside from after Johnny signed - that players are upset with Treliving's managing style.  Noah seems stoked with the contract, and I for one am also.

Now I wonder if it'll be a dominos effect and if those other 3 young RFA Dmen still unsigned will start signings similar contracts (Nurse can't...team can't afford him at that number so he's forced to do a bridge).  Probably ideal for Treliving to get this done first.  The other agents are probably cursing his name right now.

6 minutes ago, kehatch said:

I went back and forth on term or bridge the entire time we had him.  I do worry that with term he feels security, but had it been a bridge I would worry the next deal could be 9 like Subban, hard to say but lets just hope this all works out.

I'm also not worried about Hamonic.  He was never going to be a flashy defensemen.  He's a tough SOB that specializes more in keeping pucks out of his net than filling the opponents net, but can put up decent goals/assists here and there.  I think people were expecting too much from him on the offensive side of things.  Also, keep in mine that pretty much the entire team had a down year last year.  Hamonic is a great addition to this team, and I'm sure we'll see that more and more this year.  Hanifin should slot in nicely with him....having a guy as sound defensively as Hamonic as your partner will allow Hanifin to exercise his offensive instincts a bit more.  I really like our top 4 D right now, and for the price we have them at.

7 minutes ago, rickross said:

I don't see it that way, I think even if he tops out as a 2nd pairing D man...if he continues to put up points, especially if he becomes a 40-50pt D man it's a great value contract. It's got term and it's cap friendly. We could have risked a bridge but then this is an easy $6M+ contract extension. I get the apprehension but D men with his experience and potential are pretty tough to find. This bodes well for Tkachuks upcoming extension as well. 

He barely cracked the top 4 last season. That was true of his ice time, zone starts, competition, etc. He isn't worth 5 million based on his play last season. Anytime you are paying for potential you are taking a risk, especially when the player hasn't played a game for you yet. 

Will he get better and earn his contract? Probably. But we could have saved some cap in the short term and assessed his fit before making the big commitment. That also would have given us the opportunity to buy more then two UFA years. 

I am not going to harp to hard on the contract. Given the term Treliving did a good job keeping the number low. I just would have preferred a bridge. 

12 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Great in 14-15 and it's  been a slide ever since. 

Only if you are looking at the points.  Last year was his first season with the Flames, new team, new D partner in Brodie a Flame vet.  Maybe Hamonic took a back seat and just tried to fit in while letting things roll even if his partner had a terrible season.  Maybe this season he takes a leadership role and does what he has done in the past. Lead.

Just now, CheersMan said:

Only if you are looking at the points.  

If you look at points, analytics, outside opinions and my eye test they all tell me Hamonic was fantastic in 14-15 and has struggled every since. Sure you can write off last year if you want and their are valid reasons to suggest so but for me it's a continuation of problems that started on the Island. 

Doesnt mean he is bad but I don't think he's near as good as most think and I don't expect a big bounce back. 

6 minutes ago, kehatch said:

He barely cracked the top 4 last season. That was true of his ice time, zone starts, competition, etc. He isn't worth 5 million based on his play last season. Anytime you are paying for potential you are taking a risk, especially when the player hasn't played a game for you yet. 

Will he get better and earn his contract? Probably. But we could have saved some cap in the short term and assessed his fit before making the big commitment. That also would have given us the opportunity to buy more then two UFA years. 

I am not going to harp to hard on the contract. Given the term Treliving did a good job keeping the number low. I just would have preferred a bridge. 

Hanifin was one of the most sheltered dmen in the league last year. Not just on his team the entire league. There's potential there, I still question how much, but I think many overrated thst Hanifin is far from a finished product. 

That being said if you go out and acquire a guy like this I think you have to be confident in him and give him term like this. This is a gamble but it's a calculated one and one I think Treliving had to make. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

If you look at points, analytics, outside opinions and my eye test they all tell me Hamonic was fantastic in 14-15 and has struggled every since. Sure you can write off last year if you want and their are valid reasons to suggest so but for me it's a continuation of problems that started on the Island. 

Doesnt mean he is bad but I don't think he's near as good as most think and I don't expect a big bounce back. 

I agree his struggles started on the Island but that was after the trade request.  I watched him closely on home ice here when he was still with the Islanders and he was a stud.  The Islanders  leaned on him heavily and he defended.  I think he requires more of a leadership role with the Flames to bring out his best.

20 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Hanifin was one of the most sheltered dmen in the league last year. Not just on his team the entire league. There's potential there, I still question how much, but I think many overrated thst Hanifin is far from a finished product. 

That being said if you go out and acquire a guy like this I think you have to be confident in him and give him term like this. This is a gamble but it's a calculated one and one I think Treliving had to make. 

I don't think the trade prevented the option for a bridge. But I do agree the cost to acquire him speaks to the Flames confidence in the player so the term isn't a surprise. 

44 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Would you have preferred a 3 or 4 yr deal at $4.95 AAV?  What kind of bridge deal were you hoping for?

1 hour ago, kehatch said:

I think this deal with Hanifin is a great one because if they would have made a bridge deal it might have backfired for the Flames. Doesn't Jacob Trouba make 5.5 million this season?? All I am saying is that there could have been a risk of paying him more per year after the Bridge deal .

Archived