Calgary Flames Expectations

Going4TheCup

21 hours ago, Going4TheCup said:

I'm really disappointed we didn't sign Petr Mrázek, I think he would have been a decent back up and maybe he could have been the starter for the Flames after this season.

Earlier last season I would have agreed but after watching him with the Flyers I don't. He can look good in very short stretchs but then his real self comes out. Very Jeckle & Hyde with the bad Hyde side dominating.

I hate to write off a payer @ 26 (especially a goalie as they seem to hit stride @ 24-26) but I have more confidence in Riitich & Gilles. Heck, I'd have = confidence in Lack. :o

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mrazek - Career: 183 GP,  .911 SV%, 2.66 GAA.

He got paid $4M X 2 by Detroit after one "good, but not great" 54 game season (.921 SV%, 2.33 GAA).

He never played up to it, and has actually regressed in his last 89 starts over two seasons.

Carolina still might do well with him at only $1.5M, but they're definitely rolling the dice.

1 hour ago, Going4TheCup said:

I think the Flames may be in trouble after this upcoming season in the Goaltending department because we have to sign Tkachuk and I'm not sure where the extra cap space is going to be to get a number 1 goalie. Any ideas??

I think this is where you’ll see Brouwer bought out next offseason. And Stone will be traded. That’s about $7m to play with considering the $950,000 of Tkachuk’s salary as well. Can we use the internal cap as way to keep his down? We also hope Brouwer can be traded to a team needing to get to the floor. A team Eating one year and us eating some salary could help a trade. 

my fear is Bennett. He’s up next year and if he takes strides forward as well as Tkachuk, what do you do then?

26 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think this is where you’ll see Brouwer bought out next offseason. And Stone will be traded. That’s about $7m to play with considering the $950,000 of Tkachuk’s salary as well. Can we use the internal cap as way to keep his down? We also hope Brouwer can be traded to a team needing to get to the floor. A team Eating one year and us eating some salary could help a trade. 

my fear is Bennett. He’s up next year and if he takes strides forward as well as Tkachuk, what do you do then?

Why would your highest pick ever, starting to reach his potential, give you fear? This is a good thing and only gives you options.

9 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Why would your highest pick ever, starting to reach his potential, give you fear? This is a good thing and only gives you options.

Oh it doesn’t really, more for the cap implications. Good problem to have. I could be his biggest supporter and advocate. I am actually 800lbs!

not really. But still, I like him more than I like Monahan. Which is weird, I know...

36 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

It’s never a problem to have too many great players.  If they both have outstanding seasons we’ll be strong SC contenders and pushing for the Cup this year.  Isn’t that what we all want?  You can always make trades, but from a position of strength....

21 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Oh it doesn’t really, more for the cap implications. Good problem to have. I could be his biggest supporter and advocate. I am actually 800lbs!

not really. But still, I like him more than I like Monahan. Which is weird, I know...

I feel like Sam Bennett is too inconsistent and takes too many penalties, Do you think the new coach will make him better?? I hope so! Monahan is currently my favourite player on the Flames right now especially since we have the same birthday, I think Monahan will have a career year this season.

1 hour ago, Going4TheCup said:

I feel like Sam Bennett is too inconsistent and takes too many penalties, Do you think the new coach will make him better?? I hope so! Monahan is currently my favourite player on the Flames right now especially since we have the same birthday, I think Monahan will have a career year this season.

Something we keep forgetting about Sam is that he has been playing NHL hockey at the ages of 18-21. He just turned 22 this year. Players like him may take a bit longer to get what it takes. Maturing varies between players. He has the raw skill to succeed and be what he was projected. It's a matter of putting it all together at this level. He's getting those penalties because he's aggressive. Other than that, he has been one of the most consistent players in terms of the give a crap/try hard meter. 

Personally, I think it's going to be having consistent line mates and a consistent message for Bennett to succeed. Being put into positions to gain confidence will be huge for him. For me, Jankowski is good, but better when playing with Gaudreau. Gaudreau is an unreal talent. Bennett hasn't gotten there yet. But I think if Bennett figures out how to utilize his line mates, that's when he will begin to succeed and make others better around him. He has been a one-man show since Jr. and he needs to have the consistent line mates that CAN do things with the puck for him to realize he doesn't have to do it all himself.

I think it's possible. He just turned 22 last month.

5 hours ago, Going4TheCup said:

I think the Flames may be in trouble after this upcoming season in the Goaltending department because we have to sign Tkachuk and I'm not sure where the extra cap space is going to be to get a number 1 goalie. Any ideas??

Smith's expiring 4.25 contract will cover the majority of the cost for his replacement. Even a top ender @ about $2 million more is less than the cost of a decent bottom 6 forward like Ryan.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Something we keep forgetting about Sam is that he has been playing NHL hockey at the ages of 18-21. He just turned 22 this year. Players like him may take a bit longer to get what it takes. Maturing varies between players. He has the raw skill to succeed and be what he was projected. It's a matter of putting it all together at this level. He's getting those penalties because he's aggressive. Other than that, he has been one of the most consistent players in terms of the give a crap/try hard meter. 

Personally, I think it's going to be having consistent line mates and a consistent message for Bennett to succeed. Being put into positions to gain confidence will be huge for him. For me, Jankowski is good, but better when playing with Gaudreau. Gaudreau is an unreal talent. Bennett hasn't gotten there yet. But I think if Bennett figures out how to utilize his line mates, that's when he will begin to succeed and make others better around him. He has been a one-man show since Jr. and he needs to have the consistent line mates that CAN do things with the puck for him to realize he doesn't have to do it all himself.

I think it's possible. He just turned 22 last month.

Someone should post this on the Canucks website. They are fascinated by his age for some reason.

39 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Smith's expiring 4.25 contract will cover the majority of the cost for his replacement. Even a top ender @ about $2 million more is less than the cost of a decent bottom 6 forward like Ryan.

But we will need to pay a goalie that money. So I guess that's hoping Gillies, Rittich or Parsons is ready by then. 

10 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

But we will need to pay a goalie that money. So I guess that's hoping Gillies, Rittich or Parsons is ready by then. 

Unfortunately I don't think Parsons will be ready and I think last season Gillies and Rittich both proved they are not STARTER material, just my opinion though.

3 minutes ago, Going4TheCup said:

Unfortunately I don't think Parsons will be ready and I think last season Gillies and Rittich both proved they are not STARTER material, just my opinion though.

Of course, but I was just referring to Flyer saying Smith is off the books. But that cap he is taking up now will have to be distributed to another starter, or maybe sign him to a lesser deal or similar on a one-year.

if Smith money isn’t going to a goalie, then some of it has to be taken into account one of the prospects coming up. 

I get why Kehatch is worried about the goaltending, especially beyond this year.

6 minutes ago, Going4TheCup said:

Are you saying "not starter material" ever ?

11 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Are you saying "not starter material" ever ?

I'm not sure if they are EVER going to be starter material( Gillies and Rittich) but right now or next season they don't seem to be ready. Hopefully they can become starter material but I would rather the Flames trade for or sign a proven number 1 goalie, I know it will be hard to sign a goalie or trade for one but hopefully I am wrong about them not being STARTER material.

11 minutes ago, Going4TheCup said:

I'm not sure if they are EVER going to be starter material( Gillies and Rittich) but right now or next season they don't seem to be ready. Hopefully they can become starter material but I would rather the Flames trade for or sign a proven number 1 goalie, I know it will be hard to sign a goalie or trade for one but hopefully I am wrong about them not being STARTER material.

There will be varying views about this and goalies forever, none of them are a sure thing. I'm done discussing.

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Age old problem.  Player doesn;t show enough to play on the top line.  3rd line minutes and okay, not great season.  Various linemates.

I can remember exactly one game where he played well with Gaudreau.  The rest were not impressive.  I don;t think BT went out and got Neal, Lindholm and Ryan if he felt Bennett was a top line player.  Perhaps he can beat out Frolik for use on Backlund's line, but he needs to dial it up about 200%.  He can;t be taking lazy stick penalties because he gets beat on the puck.  It's that or 3rd line.  He can probably thrive there if they move Ryan to C and Frolik to RW.  Don't think it will be over 40 points though.

He's still just a young guy.  He needs to show something this year.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Of course, but I was just referring to Flyer saying Smith is off the books. But that cap he is taking up now will have to be distributed to another starter, or maybe sign him to a lesser deal or similar on a one-year.

if Smith money isn’t going to a goalie, then some of it has to be taken into account one of the prospects coming up. 

I get why Kehatch is worried about the goaltending, especially beyond this year.

Re-read my post.:huh:

I said the 4.25 & maybe as much as 2.0 more would go to the starter that replaces Smith. In fact I mentioned that it isn't an extra 4.25 to spend @ random but a good beginning to paying the next starter.

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Age old problem.  Player doesn;t show enough to play on the top line.  3rd line minutes and okay, not great season.  Various linemates.

I can remember exactly one game where he played well with Gaudreau.  The rest were not impressive.  I don;t think BT went out and got Neal, Lindholm and Ryan if he felt Bennett was a top line player.  Perhaps he can beat out Frolik for use on Backlund's line, but he needs to dial it up about 200%.  He can;t be taking lazy stick penalties because he gets beat on the puck.  It's that or 3rd line.  He can probably thrive there if they move Ryan to C and Frolik to RW.  Don't think it will be over 40 points though.

He's still just a young guy.  He needs to show something this year.

Agreed...except it’s more than “showing something”.  I believe that Bennett is not succeeding because he still wants to control ALL the play, instead of using his surrounding players.  That tends to spell either a lack of trust, a selfish player, or a blend of both.  

I think Bennett’s success will come when he allows himself to be more open to direction from the real playmaker, instead of trying to force a play that isn’t there.  That’s when he loses or gets stripped of the puck.  If he can do that, he would fit easily into any line;  he has the talent of the power forward, and has shown glimpses of a sniper.  Accept the role and expand on that; and do not try to redefine it.

14 hours ago, flames for life said:

Agreed...except it’s more than “showing something”.  I believe that Bennett is not succeeding because he still wants to control ALL the play, instead of using his surrounding players.  That tends to spell either a lack of trust, a selfish player, or a blend of both.  

I think Bennett’s success will come when he allows himself to be more open to direction from the real playmaker, instead of trying to force a play that isn’t there.  That’s when he loses or gets stripped of the puck.  If he can do that, he would fit easily into any line;  he has the talent of the power forward, and has shown glimpses of a sniper.  Accept the role and expand on that; and do not try to redefine it.

I thought there were signs of Bennett distributing the puck more so last season. Your observations are not wrong and I believe Bennett as good as he was in Junior created a lot of bad habits for himself. IMO the Flames further complicated his situation by providing less than ideal line mates, almost enhancing his bad habits. I like the change to LW for him and should he be with Ryan and Frolik or Lindholm I think we see the player we have been waiting for.

Flames have a very healthy cap situation so there is no reason to be worried about replacing goal tending, or signing Tkachuk.

As it stands now they have 18.5 mill in cap space for next season with the cap staying the same. Give them an addition 3mill for buying out Browuer, plus and addition 3 million in a cap raise that's 24.5 Million in cap space. Put 13 mill for Tkachuk and a goalie and that would be 11.5 million in cap space to sign about 6 players with really the only "concerns" being Bennett and whatever Hanifin is going to get but neither is going to break the bank. 

That's a lot of flexibility. 

41 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Flames have a very healthy cap situation so there is no reason to be worried about replacing goal tending, or signing Tkachuk.

As it stands now they have 18.5 mill in cap space for next season with the cap staying the same. Give them an addition 3mill for buying out Browuer, plus and addition 3 million in a cap raise that's 24.5 Million in cap space. Put 13 mill for Tkachuk and a goalie and that would be 11.5 million in cap space to sign about 6 players with really the only "concerns" being Bennett and whatever Hanifin is going to get but neither is going to break the bank. 

That's a lot of flexibility. 

If the Flames give Hanafin a bridge deal does it mean he is still a Restricted free agent when the contract is over?? Also I am really happy to see Elias Lindholm signed, kind of a relief to be honest!

4 minutes ago, Going4TheCup said:

If the Flames give Hanafin a bridge deal does it mean he is still a Restricted free agent when the contract is over?? Also I am really happy to see Elias Lindholm signed, kind of a relief to be honest!

Anything shorter than 4 years would keep him an RFA. 4 more years till he is eligible for UFA status. 

23 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Anything shorter than 4 years would keep him an RFA. 4 more years till he is eligible for UFA status. 

Thanks. Now that we have around 8 million left in Cap Space do you think the Flames will make some trades to open up some more CAP SPACE?? I don't think Treliving is done making deals but we will see. i honestly don't see Treliving Buying out Brouwer because it seems like Treliving is a man of his word and I think Brouwer has a home here in Calgary, hopefully I am wrong though.

Archived