Flames 2018 NHL Draft

The_People1

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Meatpuppet42 said:

I like the idea that for our 4th rd pick we go  BPA... that is a RHS....that plays RW....that is big.

Riley Sutter     6'3  200lbs  RW  RHS

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=281307

Knowing that IF he ever makes the NHL, it'll be a 4th liner, I'd take a big swing in the fourth round, and if Riley Sutter is there in the 5th round, then go for him.

On ‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎01 at 1:21 PM, phoenix66 said:

This..

Flames have a good history of finding some level of gold in the later rounds. They need to use that skill this year 

Sliders, kids with warts (size, etc.. things other teams downgrade for) Goalies overseas , etc.

Heck , there has to be a Jankowski or 2 out there 

We waited so long for Jankowski he was like getting a 1st round selection in last year's draft all ready to go. LOL

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

What about Justin Almeida? He could be another Andrew Mangiapane. He is skilled and quick. He is on the small side. It is also his 2nd time through the draft. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/245573/justin-almeida

He's more like Gaudreau sized.  Breadeater has close to 20 pounds on him.

That's fine, though.  What's his speed like?

With limited picks, I saw we swing for the fences. Pick the guys everyone else overlooks. Almeida is a great example, puts up a ton of points but is overlooked due to his size. I'd rather make a high risk/reward pick in a draft like this than select for example the big lumbering D who has NHL size but very little upside.

For example,

Give me Fix-Wolansky

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/257717/trey-fix-wolansky

55 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

With limited picks, I saw we swing for the fences. Pick the guys everyone else overlooks. Almeida is a great example, puts up a ton of points but is overlooked due to his size. I'd rather make a high risk/reward pick in a draft like this than select for example the big lumbering D who has NHL size but very little upside.

For example,

Give me Fix-Wolansky

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/257717/trey-fix-wolansky

We seem to do pretty good with Edmonton Boys lol

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

What about Justin Almeida? He could be another Andrew Mangiapane. He is skilled and quick. He is on the small side. It is also his 2nd time through the draft. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/245573/justin-almeida

Just bare in mind, this past year was with an elite CHL team and +1 draft year.

I'd assume he'd be a lesser version of Mangiapane.

Another guy that has me intrigued is Albin Eriksson. 6'4" 205lbs RHS winger. He is a very good skater, shows good skill. Might have to jump up to the 3rd round to get him, but the size, skill and skating package sure  is intriguing. I have mostly seen him ranked around the late 70's early 80's, but Button had him ranked at 29 on his list in March, which tells me some other teams will probably take him in the 2nd round or so.

Anyone want a monster? lol

Curtis Douglas-Windsor Spits

6'8" 225 lbs

C/LW

Gives me the Hunter Smith heebeejeebies when a player is >6'5".

I've seen him at least 6 times.

He actually skates well enough N-S and has some skills and a good shot.

His edgework skating and first step acceleration is poor like any giant.

He's physical and impossible to move from the front of the net.

Hard not to notice him on the ice, lol.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Anyone want a monster? lol

Curtis Douglas-Windsor Spits

6'8" 225 lbs

C/LW

Gives me the Hunter Smith heebeejeebies when a player is >6'5".

I've seen him at least 6 times.

He actually skates well enough N-S and has some skills and a good shot.

His edgework skating and first step acceleration is poor like any giant.

He's physical and impossible to move from the front of the net.

Hard not to notice him on the ice, lol.

Sounds like a long shot NHLer.  I'd take skills and skating over size.

Our first pick is in the triple digits, whaddya want from me lol.

Do you know how hard it is finding film on 90 -120's?:lol:

What strikes me as odd about him, is he is still very much a kid vs Hunter Smith, who looked about 25.

For all of his mass, he looks 18. There's still development in his body.

Windsor will need to rely on him next year, we have good scouting in that region.

If they disagree, works for me.

Francis was saying this afternoon he had had a long talk with BT this morning and a few tidbits came out.  First, they are still holding their draft meetings, currently and hoping to get some higher picks.  Secondly, commenting on assistant coaches it seems they are just about complete and at least a couple experienced PP/D guys 'the fans will like', and finally Gawdin looked very good but still has to improve skating and build muscle mass so it'll likely be a year in the AHL at least.  

11 hours ago, cccsberg said:

.  Secondly, commenting on assistant coaches it seems they are just about complete and at least a couple experienced PP/D guys 'the fans will like', and 

That sounds like Tim Hunter. That will really suck if true. 

6 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

I'll guess we'll see, but how amazing that the first comment back is a negative.  Guess that kind of matches where the team is at this moment?

Yup we'll see and hope I'm wrong as I'm just not a fan of Tim Hunter as a coach. Never have been and just never seen or heard anything impressive about him. 

16 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Francis was saying this afternoon he had had a long talk with BT this morning and a few tidbits came out.  First, they are still holding their draft meetings, currently and hoping to get some higher picks.  Secondly, commenting on assistant coaches it seems they are just about complete and at least a couple experienced PP/D guys 'the fans will like', and finally Gawdin looked very good but still has to improve skating and build muscle mass so it'll likely be a year in the AHL at least.  

I expect Gawdin likely will start in the A for these reasons however it may also come down to whatelse or whoelse BT can manage to obtain for RW. The same could have been said about Tkachuk when he came in and even now. What I saw of Gawdin in the MC was a player very responsible in all areas of the ice.

15 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I expect Gawdin likely will start in the A for these reasons however it may also come down to whatelse or whoelse BT can manage to obtain for RW. The same could have been said about Tkachuk when he came I and even now. What I saw of Gawdin in the MC was a player very responsible in all areas of the ice.

I hope that BP takes a look at the roster as a whole and puts together lines that make sense, not made sense.

It's nice to see that level of compete from a player like Gawdin; only wish we had all our roster play to that level.

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I hope that BP takes a look at the roster as a whole and puts together lines that make sense, not made sense.

It's nice to see that level of compete from a player like Gawdin; only wish we had all our roster play to that level.

I'm sure he will have some of his own ideas for who should be with who. It will be interesting to what acquisitions BT makes after these two put their heads together.

This has nothing to do with the Flames, but I’d say there’s a chance Vancouver ends up with Brady Tkachuk at 7.

We have a good idea of the top 3 picks after that it’s wide open

I can easily see picks 4-6 being RHD Dobson, Bouchard and Boqvist given OTT(even if they keep EK), ARI and DET are looking for the coveted top pair RHD

13 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

This has nothing to do with the Flames, but I’d say there’s a chance Vancouver ends up with Brady Tkachuk at 7.

We have a good idea of the top 3 picks after that it’s wide open

I can easily see picks 4-6 being RHD Dobson, Bouchard and Boqvist given OTT(even if they keep EK), ARI and DET are looking for the coveted top pair RHD

It's possible, but unlikely.  I doubt he makes it past ARI and DET, assuming he lasts that long.

Pretty good name brand.

Comps to his brother.

He's big and plays big.

Teams love that.

I would suggest that ARI and DET need help now on D.  A prospect is too far off for them.    

57 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It's possible, but unlikely.  I doubt he makes it past ARI and DET, assuming he lasts that long.

Pretty good name brand.

Comps to his brother.

He's big and plays big.

Teams love that.

I would suggest that ARI and DET need help now on D.  A prospect is too far off for them.    

I have him at 10...just sayin'.

The tires are definitely pumped, he could go as high as 4, I wouldn't.

He's not his brother.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I have him at 10...just sayin'.

The tires are definitely pumped, he could go as high as 4, I wouldn't.

He's not his brother.

Shhhhh, I talking to the top teams....

I don't think I would pick him in the top 4, but that's because I wasn't super impressed with the WJC.

As you say, he's not Matty.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Shhhhh, I talking to the top teams....

I don't think I would pick him in the top 4, but that's because I wasn't super impressed with the WJC.

As you say, he's not Matty.

I believe Detroit is all about Hughes/Bouchard atm. Add that to Cholowski and Hronek, their D pool will be very solid.

Svechnikov was the dream as they have his older brother, but he'll go 2.

I keep reading this is a weak draft. They must mean high end star power, because there's good depth to about pick 40-45.

Same as most drafts.

I'd like to trade up to get Tkachuk but man, we need the bullets to get some RHS on the team.  Brady is yet another LHS LW/C.  Great player yes but come on, whatever it would cost to get Brady, we'd be better off trading for Mark Stone's RFA rights.  It's probably the same price.

Archived