Bill Peters - 17th Flames Coach

phoenix66

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I'm not sure that the Flames will bring in an amateur coach or a coach without NHL experience for those crucial roles.

Possible that BP is able to bring in guys he's worked with.

Great ideas from you guys; I'm just not so sure BT would entertain those ideas.

The interesting thing about Peters, is he doesn't have that guy that follows him around. There is no Paul Gerrard or Jacques Cloutier in his past. His assistants in Carolina, Smith and Brind'Amour, are no longer available, and neither is the guys he shared the bench with in Detroit (Renney and Blashill). You have to go back his AHL days to find a coach he coached with who could be a fit and then you'd be back hiring a guy without an NHL experience. 

Personally, I think when you have an experienced NHL coach getting NHL experiences in your assistants is less critical. Hire the best coach you can and don't worry so much where they are coming from, and I'm confident Treliving will do that. I don't think he'll mandate the assistants need NHL experience. Hire guys with creative minds and creative ideas to challenge the norm. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The other guy I left off my list who intrests me is Trevor Letowski. He is the Spitfires head coach and coached the PP for Team Canada at the World Juniors, ex player as well. That PP was very impressive and his PPs in juniors have been good too so if they want to look at a PP type guy he'd be a good option IMO. 

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

Personally, I think when you have an experienced NHL coach getting NHL experiences in your assistants is less critical. Hire the best coach you can and don't worry so much where they are coming from, and I'm confident Treliving will do that. I don't think he'll mandate the assistants need NHL experience. Hire guys with creative minds and creative ideas to challenge the norm. 

I took BT's comment about hiring experience in the NHL to be more than just about the head coach.

8 hours ago, cross16 said:

Hard to say for sure that how he is coaching in the WHC will be exactly what he does with the Flames. Different ice and games mean some tweaks, but for those who care so far at the WHC Peters has basically been the antithesis of Gulutzan. 

Team Canada defenders skate and have the green light to take the puck wherever they want. Lots of dman rushes, pinches from the point, dmen below the hash marks even behind the net fore checking.

Team Canada is aggressive in the neutral zone as well as at their own blueline. They've been caught a few times, but they are more aggressive.

When they were tied against Latvia, he shortened the bench and ran 2 lines almost the entire 3rd period. 

Today in OT, Canada got a 4-3 PP. Peters called a timeout. 

Lots of point shots on the PP. They run the 1-3-1 but generate point shots from the high guy as well as the mid guys as well. 

Told the refs to do their "bleeping" job in the first period. Didn't take a penalty.

So if you care about that kind of stuff, that's why i've seen so far. 

What is this "TimeOut" you speak of??

signed

Glen Gulutzan

11 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Good thing we signed Peters rather than waiting to see if Trotz (the 1 I hoped for) would become available.

I figure Trotz has earned himself a long extention for taking the Caps further than they've been since the late '90s.

There was a thing going around a couple Capitals forums suggesting that Trotz is in the mindset that if he doesn't get an extension from the Caps, he may just retire. Apparently the move from Nashville to Washington was pretty hard on his family (I believe one of his kids is on the autism spectrum and the whole move was pretty rough, especially losing all the support and friends, which for a younger child on the spectrum can be pretty devastating). So even if he did become available, he may not actually be available.

4 hours ago, Khrox said:

There was a thing going around a couple Capitals forums suggesting that Trotz is in the mindset that if he doesn't get an extension from the Caps, he may just retire. Apparently the move from Nashville to Washington was pretty hard on his family (I believe one of his kids is on the autism spectrum and the whole move was pretty rough, especially losing all the support and friends, which for a younger child on the spectrum can be pretty devastating). So even if he did become available, he may not actually be available.

All the more reason to cheer for the Caps.

Set people straight on how hard it is to win a cup.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

All the more reason to cheer for the Caps.

Set people straight on how hard it is to win a cup.

Washington is my second team. I'm a HUGE Ovi fan (I love the way he plays the game. Unlike a lot of Russian players, he goes against the stereotype of circling out and re-entering until a chance appears and plays a very hard-nosed, physical, grind it out game that is reminiscent of the 70's-mid 90's Canadian international style). Plus, if he gets a cup, a lot of the criticism of his play disappears (the whole, "He's too selfish, he never passes." and then the next season when he scores less goals and leads the team in assists "He's declining, look how few goals he scored, he's just bad."). And under Trotz you've seen his defensive game improve without taking away his offensive flair (under Hunter his defense improved but his offensive game suffered for it).

43 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Well that's bizarre, lol.

Why Washington? And how long?

Washington mostly because I'm a huge Ovi fan more than anything. And it's been 11 years or so? Calgary is hands down my #1 no questions asked, but I can easily root for Washington as long as Ovi is there. And I don't mind watching guys like Backstrom play either. And Kuzy's Albatross celebration is funny to watch as well (and the reason he does it is because his daughter thinks it's funny and asked him to do it more).

And well, it appears Gully ain't moving too far.

16 minutes ago, Khrox said:

Washington mostly because I'm a huge Ovi fan more than anything. And it's been 11 years or so? Calgary is hands down my #1 no questions asked, but I can easily root for Washington as long as Ovi is there. And I don't mind watching guys like Backstrom play either. And Kuzy's Albatross celebration is funny to watch as well (and the reason he does it is because his daughter thinks it's funny and asked him to do it more).

And well, it appears Gully ain't moving too far.

When I think Caps, I think Mike Gartner.

When I think Flames #1 RW, I think Mike Gartner. lol

I had some late nights with the Caps in the playoffs in the '80's.

Always the bridesmaid, excellent for them.

9 hours ago, cross16 said:

Bit of Flames related news as well as a potential assistant off the board. 

Well, that's an improvement over what they had.

The fans complained about PP usage last year, so they should be even more puzzled if GG is assigned that role.

Yawney was a good choice, though.  

Wonder if we are waiting for the next batch of firings for our A's.

I had hoped we would get Trent Yawney (or is Laurel?), he had done a good job with Anaheim's defense and PK.

This will improve them .. its rumored the 3rd is Manny Viveiros, which is too bad i was hoping he was on our Radar 

Im feeling a strong sense Huska will be for sure one of them , likely for D and penalty kill.. that leaves the Forwads/ Powerplay open 

I liked Yawney too but given he use to work with Mclellan figured he was unlikely. I too have heard the 3rd is Viveiros which is too bad. I would have liked him with the Flames.

Huska and Marco Sturm are the 2 names that seem to keep coming up the most. Some whispers for Todd Nelson, Grand Rapids AHL coach, which would be an excellent hire but they are just wispers. Louder buzz seems to be for Huska and Sturm. 

I would imagine with Treliving and Peters just back in town this week interview are just starting so I don't think it's a case of they are waiting for someone, but just they have not really had a chance to go through the process given the World Championships. 

12 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

This will improve them .. its rumored the 3rd is Manny Viveiros, which is too bad i was hoping he was on our Radar 

Im feeling a strong sense Huska will be for sure one of them , likely for D and penalty kill.. that leaves the Forwads/ Powerplay open 

With Trent Yawney going to Edmonton and Dallas Eakins signing an extension, that leaves Ryan Huska and Mike Vellucci from my list. I would be pretty happy to have those two as assistants. 

I did read that Todd Nelson was considering taking an assistant job, but that it would have to be the right situation.

8 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

With Trent Yawney going to Edmonton and Dallas Eakins signing an extension, that leaves Ryan Huska and Mike Vellucci from my list. I would be pretty happy to have those two as assistants. 

I did read that Todd Nelson was considering taking an assistant job, but that it would have to be the right situation.

I think Nelson would be awesome if only from a BOA point of view :) 

40 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Dallas is apparently very interested and "another Western Conference team" according to one article I read. Outside of us and the Ducks though am I missing anyone that would be looking for assistants in the West? Obviously assuming that the Oilers are hiring Vievros to fill their staff. 

I'm a big Todd Nelson fan though so would be really happy to hire him. I've wanted him in the mix for the head coach job the last 2 hires so to get him as an assistant would be awesome. Guy really wants to be an NHL head coach though and not sure this is the right opportunity for him but we shall see. 

On 5/24/2018 at 9:30 AM, cross16 said:

Dallas is apparently very interested and "another Western Conference team" according to one article I read. Outside of us and the Ducks though am I missing anyone that would be looking for assistants in the West? Obviously assuming that the Oilers are hiring Vievros to fill their staff. 

I'm a big Todd Nelson fan though so would be really happy to hire him. I've wanted him in the mix for the head coach job the last 2 hires so to get him as an assistant would be awesome. Guy really wants to be an NHL head coach though and not sure this is the right opportunity for him but we shall see. 

STL is another team needing help on the PP.

Huska seems to be talked about a lot, but not sure whether the fit is there beyond use of the prospects.

Defensively, the Heat were pretty good under him and Andersson and Kylington moved forward.  Even Spoon.

Whoever are the next two A/coaches, I hope they have fresh ideas in PP and defensive positioning/forecheck.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Huska seems to be talked about a lot, but not sure whether the fit is there beyond use of the prospects.

Defensively, the Heat were pretty good under him and Andersson and Kylington moved forward.  Even Spoon.

Whoever are the next two A/coaches, I hope they have fresh ideas in PP and defensive positioning/forecheck.

Id be quite alright with Huska as D/ PK.. we need to hit a home run with the FWD/PP guy.. I never like to give any credit to the Oilers for doing anything right , but they just assembled an excellent coaching staff..they will be better next year because of it 

Flames probably wont do this , but I read about a recently unemployed Goalie coach (sorry forget the name and where I saw the link ).. but he talked about how teams should go one step further , and have a "director of goaltending ".. one guy handles the coaches at all levels of the organization , and dedicated scouts specific to goaltending .  Its such a different animal that I think any team that does this will build an extremely good pipeline of goalies  

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Their pipeline looks like awfully good help.

They had a pretty down year though(for them) and are going to have to move some players this draft.

They could be a team that stockpiles some picks and may want to deal for one of our dmen, as Bouw's coming up on his final contract year.

Fabbri's definitely a unicorn that would really help the PP also.

You can coach PP all you want, but the results still = what's on the ice.

Well this is good news ..

Paul Maclean maybe ?  he's the first that comes to mind for a record of power plays..

http://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/calgary-flames/treliving-on-verge-of-announcing-assistant-coaches

"Brad Treliving is on the verge of announcing his assistant coaches.

Following an exhaustive search that included interviews with a vast number of candidates, the Calgary Flames GM is confident he’s found the right men.

Flames fans will be happy to hear one hire is a veteran coach with a proven track record running power plays.

The other will oversee the defensive side of things.

Expect an announcement this week."

51 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Well this is good news ..

Paul Maclean maybe ?  he's the first that comes to mind for a record of power plays..

http://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/calgary-flames/treliving-on-verge-of-announcing-assistant-coaches

"Brad Treliving is on the verge of announcing his assistant coaches.

Following an exhaustive search that included interviews with a vast number of candidates, the Calgary Flames GM is confident he’s found the right men.

Flames fans will be happy to hear one hire is a veteran coach with a proven track record running power plays.

The other will oversee the defensive side of things.

Expect an announcement this week."

Paul McLean does make a lot of sense. He has run a pretty good PP throughout his career. He also worked with Babcock like Peters did so there should be some familiarity there.

Archived