So Where do we go from here? Analysis & Predictions

cccsberg

7 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I agree you need to perform no matter where you are or its guaranteed you won't advance. There also has to exist the opportunities for the player to advance based on his performance and those are not always there. Baertschi was a mixed bag while here much like Backlund in the early going, the coaches didn't like their lack of defensive effort. Then this becomes like you are on the wrong side of ever getting a fair shot at breaking through. Perserverance and determination has to be your best qualities during these times

The thing about performing everywhere, even Backlund didn't do very well in the AHL if I remember correctly? 

It's hard to find the right fit for players. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, robrob74 said:

The thing about performing everywhere, even Backlund didn't do very well in the AHL if I remember correctly? 

He did fine. Didn't perform as well as he turned out in the NHL but it's also hard to draw conclusions on his AHL stint because it wasn't very long (only 54 games) and also included a stint in Calgary. Did have 9 points in 13 playoff game. 

Backlund was also a very talented player with an exceptionally high hockey IQ. Up the ladder he was also one of the better players in his age group and I think had the Flames done a better job developing him he probably would have had an impact sooner but doesn't really matter at this point. 

So with Bennett signed BT only has Jagr to sign (well, maybe) and perhaps a PTO or two, hopefully no more pylons but guys that might actually contribute.  After training camp if we're lucky and a prospect blows the doors off he might be looking to a vet trade, but not holding my breath there.  Next up is the Backlund re-signing which I expect will go along under the surface and perhaps it'll get done before the end of the year.

On defence I believe we may end up with a fierce competition for the 6D and 7D spots.  Most people seem to be assuming the 6D spot is Kulak's to lose, which may be the case, but personally I believe all of Wotherspoon, Andersson, Valimaki and Kylington might have something to say about it, and of course Bartkowski.  With Wotherspoon, Kulak and Bartkowski all waiver-eligible there could be big changes early via waivers and I expect Kulak and Wotherspoon will be the guys, but in terms of skill and readiness I think the other guys could be a factor too.  In addition, Josh Healey brings tough physicality that could get him that 7D spot if his other play is up to snuff.  Should be very interesting.  

30 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

On defence I believe we may end up with a fierce competition for the 6D and 7D spots.  Most people seem to be assuming the 6D spot is Kulak's to lose, which may be the case, but personally I believe all of Wotherspoon, Andersson, Valimaki and Kylington might have something to say about it, and of course Bartkowski.  With Wotherspoon, Kulak and Bartkowski all waiver-eligible there could be big changes early via waivers and I expect Kulak and Wotherspoon will be the guys, but in terms of skill and readiness I think the other guys could be a factor too.  In addition, Josh Healey brings tough physicality that could get him that 7D spot if his other play is up to snuff.  Should be very interesting.  

The last D spots will be a 3 man competition Bartkowski, Kulak and Wotherspoon, somebody is going back to Stockton.

36 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

The last D spots will be a 3 man competition Bartkowski, Kulak and Wotherspoon, somebody is going back to Stockton.

That's the standard line of thinking but who says any of Andersson, Kylington, Valimaki or Healey aren't better than any of those three?  Just because they are younger and don't need waivers shouldn't gift them the two spots.  Having said that, if they (Wotherspoon, Kulak and Bartkowski) can come in and produce at an OK rate, you could do so then flip them for picks at or before the TDL then bring in the "superior" but younger D guys (not Valimaki because he presumably would have gone back to Juniors).

18 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

That's the standard line of thinking but who says any of Andersson, Kylington, Valimaki or Healey aren't better than any of those three?  Just because they are younger and don't need waivers shouldn't gift them the two spots.  Having said that, if they (Wotherspoon, Kulak and Bartkowski) can come in and produce at an OK rate, you could do so then flip them for picks at or before the TDL then bring in the "superior" but younger D guys (not Valimaki because he presumably would have gone back to Juniors).

I think you are correct that nothing is set in stone.  A RD is less likely because of Stone, but I also don't think you send Andersson back just because of that.  I personally don't think Kylington is quite ready, nor do I think the GM believes that either.  He still has some holes in his game.  Valimaki would need to blow the doors off to get kept past camp, but you just never know.  It doesn't make sense to bring him into the league at such a young age.  But then again, when was the last time we drafted a d-man that high in the draft?  Phaneuf?  Andersson was stayed past camp well past when he should have been kept last year.  

Usually, it unfolds the way the expect it.  This year could be the three expected guys competing for 2 spots, as expected.

1 hour ago, cccsberg said:

I think the writing is on the wall and not worth arguing with you about.

4 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I think the writing is on the wall and not worth arguing with you about.

Definitely not worth arguing.  Rookie camps started today and first game tomorrow so we won't have to wait long to get an idea which way the team is going.  Either way, this year is the last chance for Wotherspoon and Kulak, and Bartkowski with upgrades on the horizon, if not earlier.

13 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

Definitely not worth arguing.  Rookie camps started today and first game tomorrow so we won't have to wait long to get an idea which way the team is going.  Either way, this year is the last chance for Wotherspoon and Kulak, and Bartkowski with upgrades on the horizon, if not earlier.

I would dare say the same as td did that you won't see Andersson threaten the LSD and the others you mentioned earlier are not NHL ready yet.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

I would dare say the same as td did that you won't see Andersson threaten the LSD and the others you mentioned earlier are not NHL ready yet.

Well, to be fair, I did say a RD was not as likely considering Stone is on the team.  But Ras played with Wideman as a LD in his one game.  If Ras showed well enough, there's no reason why they would send him down.  He would have to be the default #6 guy though.  Gully doesn't "like" wrong-handed guys playing D, but there is precedence.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Well, to be fair, I did say a RD was not as likely considering Stone is on the team.  But Ras played with Wideman as a LD in his one game.  If Ras showed well enough, there's no reason why they would send him down.  He would have to be the default #6 guy though.  Gully doesn't "like" wrong-handed guys playing D, but there is precedence.

Think what you want but there is no way Andersson is on this team come the start of the season LS or RS.

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Think what you want but there is no way Andersson is on this team come the start of the season LS or RS.

Very definitive there... Too bad we can't add some emoticons like a donkey, crow-eater, tally counter or troll to a poster/comment to allow some accountability to the site and comments, but then again, what's the fun of that?  :rolleyes:

13 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Why even have training camp? The lines are already set, might as well wait 3 weeks, and we can just start the season. Do you have some sort of inside track on the flames, that no one else is aware of? 

Andersson stands a decent chance of making this team, while im sure kulak or wotherspoon stand a better chance, I would be surprised if andersson was the 6th d man. For all we know valamaki could come in and become the 6th D man(very unlikely for a ton of reasons but).

13 hours ago, MAC331 said:

To end the season, BT chose to bring up Andersson to practice with the team for a month.  He was Stockton's best defender.  He was chosen as a regular callup over Kulak or Spoon, even though Stockton was headed towards the playoffs.  To say there is no way he is on the team to start the season is a little bit ridiculous.  

1 hour ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Why even have training camp? The lines are already set, might as well wait 3 weeks, and we can just start the season. Do you have some sort of inside track on the flames, that no one else is aware of? 

Andersson stands a decent chance of making this team, while im sure kulak or wotherspoon stand a better chance, I would be surprised if andersson was the 6th d man. For all we know valamaki could come in and become the 6th D man(very unlikely for a ton of reasons but).

Logic will tell you a lot of things. Training camps are to get everyone back on the ice and start repairing for the season ahead. People that buy into this big competition for jobs are fooling themselves. GG will have the task of arranging lines and pairings but I would say there is very little to be decided when it comes to the starting roster.

Just now, MAC331 said:

Logic will tell you a lot of things. Training camps are to get everyone back on the ice and start repairing for the season ahead. People that buy into this big competition for jobs are fooling themselves. GG will have the task of arranging lines and pairings but I would say there is very little to be decided when it comes to the starting roster.

It doesnt mean andersson having a good young stars tournament and preseason wouldnt have him competing with kulak or wotherspoon, their spots wouldnt be anymore of locks then andersoon. 

Obviously the coaches job is to arrange lines and pairings, but to say hes penciled in someone to the 6th/7th D might be a little far fetched considering whats available

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

To end the season, BT chose to bring up Andersson to practice with the team for a month.  He was Stockton's best defender.  He was chosen as a regular callup over Kulak or Spoon, even though Stockton was headed towards the playoffs.  To say there is no way he is on the team to start the season is a little bit ridiculous.  

If I recall Stone was injured and there was little faith in Wideman. I hardly see his being called up at that time as a ringing endorsement that BT is ready to move him up and play him on the LSD. You can hang onto that thought if you want, I choose not to.

Just now, MAC331 said:

If I recall Stone was injured and there was little faith in Wideman. I hardly see his being called up at that time as a ringing endorsement that BT is ready to move him up and play him on the LSD. You can hang onto that thought if you want, I choose not to.

Then why didnt they call up kulak or wotherspoon? or who do you see in the 6th D spot?

Archived