So Where do we go from here? Analysis & Predictions

cccsberg

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm not sure of the logic behind that one.  Maybe they felt they made a real offer.  

Probably didn't think he had NHL potential and didn't want to use up a contract on him.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Yeah, on a cheap 1 year deal he wouldn't be a terrible pickup.

20 goals and 35 assists for the Yotes last season, and probably a pretty reasonable cap hit...   6'1" 190 lbs and a RW that knows what to do with the puck...   36 years old. but looks like he still has some gas in the tank...   Would likely be more beneficial to the team than Brouwer was last season for less money...   On a 1 year deal for the right amount, it might be worth it...

7 minutes ago, Carty said:

What about Vrbata as a consideration?...  

I like the idea. If we don't acquire him, then we have to sign Jagr if only because we are one of the only teams he has not played for yet. I just wish he still had the mullet. 

19 minutes ago, FueltheFlames1075 said:

So with the signings that we have seen on defense today, what does eveyone think of Stones contract? With the likes of Ron Hainsey, Trevor Daley, Michael Del Zotto, Dan Girardi, and Karl Alzner all signing for $3,000,000 plus.

All are expected to play top 4 on their new teams. Stone was signed as a #5. :)

13 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

All are expected to play top 4 on their new teams. Stone was signed as a #5. :)

That is a good point. In terms of quality though, he is somewhat comparable to each of those guys. That plays into the idea that he could be traded as a top 4 to other teams, at his performance from last season.

4 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

1 year @ 2.5.

Would have been worth our while.

Really when one stops and thinks hard about it I don't think it unreasonable that Ferland could score 20+ goals playing a full season with JG and SM. Why go after any of these 35+ year old players ? Let's stay young and use our youth to our advantage.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Yeah I'm not sure I buy that but I won't lose any sleep over his decision.

Read if you choose to...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/hockey/blackhawks/ct-patrick-sharp-blackhawks-return-20170630-story.html

Sharp said he felt the Hawks have enough talent to make another run at the Stanley Cup.

"I want to make it clear that I’m coming back home to contribute to the Blackhawks on the ice in whatever role it may be," Sharp said. "I’m coming back to make some more great memories and try to help this team win another Stanley Cup. That’s the reason I’m coming home."

Outside of signing Sharp, the Hawks have little room to maneuver for the rest of free agency thanks in part to how they plan on handling the contract status of Marian Hossa, who is out for next season and potentially beyond because of a skin condition.

Personally I'm loving what BT has done , in some ways its genius.

I dont get the "stone is an overpaid #5 D".. what he is, is a #4D playing on the 3rd pair .. and yes, GG did say he wants a 3rd pair that plays 18 Min  / night . Did we really want to trust 18min / night to Bart and a Kid ?

to win in this league you need depth on defense.. we have that in spades now , any one of your top 4 gets injured, you carry on and don't miss a beat.

On the road you can diffuse matchup inefficiencies.  

We need to once again stop looking at the $ and start looking at what the on ice product is going to look like ..  it needs to gel obviously, but what you should be left with is a Defense that's downright formidable that no other team can boast right now

In carrying 7 defensemen, that's 2 kids you can work in to the experience lineup and not have a 3rd line liability 

I was hoping he'd do something to get some more scoring , but if its not internal then he now has a few names left out there he can wait on to get more of a bargain on .Sounds like he had a singular focus on Sharp and missed out .. it happens 

2 hours ago, FueltheFlames1075 said:

That is a good point. In terms of quality though, he is somewhat comparable to each of those guys. That plays into the idea that he could be traded as a top 4 to other teams, at his performance from last season.

I think Stone is good due to the lack of RHSD within our system. All we have to fall back on right now is Rasmus Andersson.

Glad they stayed quiet and honestly I hope they don't sign another UFA for the NHL club. The remaining list is pretty bad and I don't think there is anyone out there who is a fit. 

Still think they need a goal scorer it just wont come via UFA. At this point they are better to try a trade and if they have to give up a good prospect to do it they might as well. Pains me to say it, but you've already pushed your chips in so going into the season with a gaping hole like that doesn't make much sense. 

21 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Glad they stayed quiet and honestly I hope they don't sign another UFA for the NHL club. The remaining list is pretty bad and I don't think there is anyone out there who is a fit. 

Still think they need a goal scorer it just wont come via UFA. At this point they are better to try a trade and if they have to give up a good prospect to do it they might as well. Pains me to say it, but you've already pushed your chips in so going into the season with a gaping hole like that doesn't make much sense. 

But Cross this would piss you off even more. We have too few draft picks for next while to bargain with and now you suggest trades with the prospects?

33 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Betcha ferland gets 15-20 this season, bennett gets 20 at least, johnny gets a few more, mony gets a couple more, maybe tkachuk gets 20(pretty reasonable), and I would assume lazar pops a few even on the 4th line. I dont know if we need a goal scorer that bad, we only had 2 twenty goal scorers last season, and we should have at least 5 this coming season if everyone turns it around. A few more goals from all the top guys and we have gone up a bunch in goals scored at 5 v 5 hopefully.

49 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

But Cross this would piss you off even more. We have too few draft picks for next while to bargain with and now you suggest trades with the prospects?

It would but this organizations best chance of fielding a team capable of winning a cup lies in the next 2 seasons and they've already made the decision to go for it. Why leave such a gaping hole during your best window?

it would piss me off no question but they've already made the decision. 

Archived