So Where do we go from here? Analysis & Predictions

cccsberg

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Agreed 100%. Once again, Flames all talk when it comes to developing their own on the blueline. 

The term bothers me.  3-years means the RD side is fully occupied and Anderson won't see the light of day.  It's more a setup for Adam Fox in 3 years.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

You are kind of blowing it out of proportion aren't you? That's a tradeable contract considering Russell signed at 4 million. Also BT said they want their guys to develop in the AAA and there's nothing wrong with over ripening. 

I don't think so. 

This organization has not promoted a blueliner of their own since Brodie. They have Kulak who was playing well and then go out and not only sign Bartowski but play him. Kulak was fine earlier in the season and they played Grossman. Now they go out and commit to a sub par 3rd pairing dman for over 3 million bucks and 3 years with Andersson knocking on the door.  I think you need to dangle the carrot and the Flames have just told Andersson don't bother trying to make the team for 3 years. 

This is exactly what Sutter did and how did that development plan turn out? Is he tradeable, maybe but as a pending UFA and less cost than this he netted a 3rd and a 5th. Really makes me question his trade value going forward. Depth players are becoming harder and harder to trade. 

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't think so. 

This organization has not promoted a blueliner of their own since Brodie. They have Kulak who was playing well and then go out and not only sign Bartowski but play him. Kulak was fine earlier in the season and they played Grossman. Now they go out and commit to a sub par 3rd pairing dman for over 3 million bucks and 3 years with Andersson knocking on the door.  I think you need to dangle the carrot and the Flames have just told Andersson don't bother trying to make the team for 3 years. 

This is exactly what Sutter did and how did that development plan turn out? Is he tradeable, maybe but as a pending UFA and less cost than this he netted a 3rd and a 5th. Really makes me question his trade value going forward. Depth players are becoming harder and harder to trade. 

Agreed. 

Youth is where teams are going to find the best bang for their buck in a cap world.  Basically, spend in your top 9 forwards, top 4 D, and starting G.  After that, go cheap for fillers.

The flames potentially have Stajan - Brouwer highlighting the 4th line and BT seems proud of it.

Also of note this costs the Flames a 5th next year and they are now down to 2 4ths, a 6th, and a 7th in the draft next year. 

Treliving has really started to baffle me. Its amazing to me he can make such sound moves like Hamilton, Versteeg, Brodie and even Hamonic to a certain degree but then is so willing to throw money away at Brouwer, Raymond, and now Stone. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

Treliving has really started to baffle me. Its amazing to me he can make such sound moves like Hamilton, Versteeg, Brodie and even Hamonic to a certain degree but then is so willing to throw money away at Brouwer, Raymond, and now Stone. 

I know man.  It's almost like there are two chefs in the kitchen because caught in between these genius moves are total fails that are grounds for getting fired.

Why throw so much money on players who won't pay big minutes?  

After we add Sharp to the RW who also has Frolik and Versteeg, do we expect Brouwer to break in on any of the top 3 lines?  Brouwer could potentially be the highest paid Flames based on projected minutes played per game. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Also of note this costs the Flames a 5th next year and they are now down to 2 4ths, a 6th, and a 7th in the draft next year. 

Something must have been said to him IMO. Remember, Burke replaced Feaster, in part, because he said that he could complete the rebuild faster than Feaster suggested. I wonder if ownership/management pressed harder to deliver sooner than later. Maybe this is also connected to the new arena situation? Just spitballing.

Feel bad for Murphy. Gets traded and waived so quickly, [Peter Griffin voice] Perhaps this is what we could call, Murphy's Law?[/Peter Griffin voice] Okay, that really sucked.

Stone now leaves Flames with 9.8 Mill in cap space for 17 players. Bennett, Ferland, Lazar and a 6th/7th dman left to sign. 

Definitely confirms that someone like Marleau isn't coming here. Still maybe leaves room for someone like Sharp on a 1 year deal under 3 million but if their are bonuses involved it could get tricky with a cap overage. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Stone now leaves Flames with 9.8 Mill in cap space for 17 players. Bennett, Ferland, Lazar and a 6th/7th dman left to sign. 

Definitely confirms that someone like Marleau isn't coming here. Still maybe leaves room for someone like Sharp on a 1 year deal under 3 million but if their are bonuses involved it could get tricky with a cap overage. 

Might as well package away Rasmus Andersson to get rid of Brouwer and retain some salary.  Not like Andersson is going to make this team and time soon.  We've locked up the right side for 3 years minimum.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Might as well package away Rasmus Andersson to get rid of Brouwer and retain some salary.  Not like Andersson is going to make this team and time soon.  We've locked up the right side for 3 years minimum.

Injuries happen every year. I bet he's up next year for at least 20 games. It's good to have depth. 

Right now i am just hoping and praying that they looking at it as..

Hamonic / Stone both coming off really bad years.  Pick them up, assume they turn it around, hang onto both as insurance policy 

Bring up 2 from heat for 6-7 see what we actually have in terms of NHL ready
IF (and thats a BIG IF) we take the cup, and these guys have turn-arounds AND IF looks like kids are ready,

then dangle a D out there as trade bait (proven top4's rather than guys looking to rebound off poor year)

Seems like insurance policy "for now" with potential to make moves later IF kids prove themselves

(kind of risky but if have faith on turn-arounds, could pay dividends assuming we D heavy in NHL ready next year)

---

seems a little odd to sink so much into D, but they going for a gamble... here's hoping it pays off

12 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

My my my, you are just a little doom-and-gloomer, aren't you?  Not even willing to entertain the notion that something else (either immediate or mid-term) could potentially be in the works?

5 minutes ago, Kulstad said:

My my my, you are just a little doom-and-gloomer, aren't you?  Not even willing to entertain the notion that something else (either immediate or mid-term) could potentially be in the works?

Like, such as?

There will be injuries, sure.  Or are you suggesting we might trade Dougie Hamilton?

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Like, such as?

There will be injuries, sure.  Or are you suggesting we might trade Dougie Hamilton?

I really doubt we would trade him that would be an interesting way to acquire a young top flight winger. I think its more likely they dont want kulak and andersson stepping in on the bottom pairing next year. This gives them some competition, and really theres no saying we cant trade stone. I dont get why we cant trade him, it was all over twitter that other teams were interested. Id rather have this depth then no depth.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Like, such as?

If had the answers, I'd be an NHL GM.  Why don't you try being optimistic and hopeful?

Why i'm not overly impressed and why I think you have to question how tradable Stone is going to be...

With the cap stalling somewhat it is getting harder and harder to move players that come with contracts and play depth roles. I know he was injured last year, well coming off knee injury, but the previous year's prior to this one are all pretty similar. 

Stone.PNG

Thanks for this, cross.  I don't much care for the Stone signing myself (don't think he was that much of an influence for Brodie last year at all).  I just think there's a huge difference between not liking something based on numbers and fancy stats, and taking a "let's trade off the entire Stockton team for Bantam players because that's how long it'll take for anyone to break the Flames line-up" mentality.

33 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

What about possible injuries do you not want your farm to have adequate replacements ?

Just now, Kulstad said:

Thanks for this, cross.  I don't much care for the Stone signing myself (don't think he was that much of an influence for Brodie last year at all).  I just think there's a huge difference between not liking something based on numbers and fancy stats, and taking a "let's trade off the entire Stockton team for Bantam players because that's how long it'll take for anyone to break the Flames line-up" mentality.

So long as contracts are marketable you can always trade players. Stone at 3.5M can be moved if the situation changes. This does back up the farm system somewhat but I'm not sure it shouldn't be given the gap we have had between ready and not so ready status with most.

5 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

So long as contracts are marketable you can always trade players. Stone at 3.5M can be moved if the situation changes. This does back up the farm system somewhat but I'm not sure it shouldn't be given the gap we have had between ready and not so ready status with most.

I believe stone could be move if the situation arises, apparently there was other teams interested. I really doubt BT signed him for millions of dollars over what everyone was offering if anything, I would assume Russell was the comparable, so he might have taken a cut. BT said on the fan 960, there is nothing wrong with over ripening, so im assuming he means unless rasmus comes into camp and steals a job, hes probably going back to the AAA next year, and for a guy turning 21, this should be motivation, defiantly not a bad thing.

While I don't like the Stone signing, the chatter about Sharp signing in Calgary tomorrow would definitely make me very happy.

Johnny - Mony - Sharp/Ferland

Tkachuk - Backs - Frolik

Sharp/Ferland - Bennett - Lazar

wheover - Stajan - Brouwer

Gio - Hamilton

Brodie - Hamonic

Kulak - Stone

Bart

Smith

Lack

While I'm still iffy about the idea of Smith carrying the team far into the playoffs. That team is absolutely a contender in the West. If Smith gets hot, they are a cup contender. 

I don't dislike that we re-signed Stone, just dislike the contract he received. That's the kind of deal I'd payed, if he was going to be the #4 guy. At the very least I wanted it to be no more then 2 years. I think that trading him after the season is easier with only one year left.

In the end I'd prefered a cheaper #5 who can play both sides like a Quincey, so it wouldn't limit the number of prospects who could earn a job for the bottom pairing. That's where I really dislike GG's stubbornness to have a right handed D on each pair.

Besides Bartkowski, we will probably have Wotherspoon, Kulak and as my wild card Ollas-Mattson fighting for that last spot in the top6

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I've got a stupid question about bonuses from players that get a 35+ contract. Do these bonuses count to this years cap or next? Or can the team choose when those bonuses, if reached, count?

Archived