So Where do we go from here? Analysis & Predictions

cccsberg

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Positive if for no other reason it shows that at least free agents at this level will consider and choose the Flames. Flames are going to need to be very active in this space to replace/offset the depth they are going to lose with the Hamonic and Smith trades. 

yep.. this basically negates at least one of the 2nd rounders 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As this offseason continues we need decisions by Versteeg to be here. We need a back up Goaltender and to sort out the 3rd defense pairing and spare 7th.

My thoughts

If Versteeg is true to his parting words at season's end he wants to be here. Get him signed BT, don't be crazy with $$$ but nail him down.

Move Rasmus Andersson into the mix with a good veteran LHSD partner. Stajan to PHI for Manning LHSD or trade for McNabb from LV if these deals exist.

Goalies, I would like to see us go with Darcy Kuemper.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

As this offseason continues we need decisions by Versteeg to be here. We need a back up Goaltender and to sort out the 3rd defense pairing and spare 7th.

My thoughts

If Versteeg is true to his parting words at season's end he wants to be here. Get him signed BT, don't be crazy with $$$ but nail him down.

Move Rasmus Andersson into the mix with a good veteran LHSD partner. Stajan to PHI for Manning LHSD or trade for McNabb from LV if these deals exist.

Goalies, I would like to see us go with Darcy Kuemper.

I dont think Versteeg is back. Im really wondering if the flames guranteed Foo a roster spot and thats why he picked us, which actually might make alot of sense, because he could end up having more of an impact then jimmy vesey last year but I guess we will see on that. With that in mind I think the flames might trade for the players you suggested if the right deal comes, but if not im not to worried about the third pairing as our top 4 should eat a ton of minutes.

gaudreau-mony-ferland

Frolik-backlund-lazar

Tkachk-bennett-foo

Stajan-Jankowski-Brouwer

Gio-Hamonic

Brodie-Hammy

Kulak-X

I think lazar gets a chance to prove he can play in the top 9 but that could be subject to change depending on camp, and if Foo was in fact guranteed a spot to make him sign, then why not slot him in next to tkachuk and bennett. I dont know for sure if we have to split up gio and hammy, but its worth a look, and with a top 4 like that almost anything goes. If jankowski is ready to step in, it gives him two veteran wingers and they can still play over 12 minutes a night. If jankowski is not ready to step in at center, then play him on backlunds wing and drop lazar down to play with stajan.

35 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I dont think Versteeg is back. Im really wondering if the flames guranteed Foo a roster spot and thats why he picked us, which actually might make alot of sense, because he could end up having more of an impact then jimmy vesey last year but I guess we will see on that. With that in mind I think the flames might trade for for the players you suggested if the right deal comes, but if not im not to worried about the third pairing as our top 4 should eat a ton of minutes.

gaudreau-mony-ferland

Frolik-backlund-lazar

Tkachk-bennett-foo

Stajan-Jankowski-Brouwer

Gio-Hamonic

Brodie-Hammy

Kulak-X

I think lazar gets a chance to prove he can play in the top 9 but that could be subject to change depending on camp, and if Foo was in fact guranteed a spot to make him sign, then why not slot him in next to tkachuk and bennett. I dont know for sure if we have to split up gio and hammy, but its worth a look, and with a top 4 like that almost anything goes. If jankowski is ready to step in, it gives him two veteran wingers and they can still play over 12 minutes a night. If jankowski is not ready to step in at center, then play him on backlunds wing and drop lazar down to play with stajan.

Is there some reason you want to keep Stajan or have players play out of their normal positions such as Jankowski ? Also I have to say I don't see GG slamming Brouwer down to the 4th line. I recognize nobody liked how he performed this past season but if you want the most our of him put him where he has the shared responsibility in shutting down the opposition. With Versteeg there are a lot of inter-changeable line combinations that would be possible.

Just now, MAC331 said:

Is there some reason you want to keep Stajan or have players play out of their normal positions such as Jankowski ? Also I have to say I don't see GG slamming Brouwer down to the 4th line. I recognize nobody liked how he performed this past season but if you want the most our of him put him where he has the shared responsibility in shutting down the opposition. With Versteeg there are a lot of inter-changeable line combinations that would be possible.

I dont think we are going to be able to get rid of stajan, so having him play on the wing is probably good for his game, since hes not a great center anymore, less responsibility would be good. Janko might need some seasoning, I dont think its likely he gets shifted to the wing but its defiantly an option. I said in the other thread, but brouwer was on the 4th line at the end of the season, I dont see GG having a problem doing it again. I dont think the 3 guys I listed have a hard time beating brouwer our for top 9 spots, and if versteeg comes back those chances in the top 9 get slimmer for brouwer. But, if the flames want to give brouwer a good chance to succeed playing him with backlund would obviously be the best bet. But it would surprise me if lazar gets a chance with backlund over brouwer.

Just now, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I dont think we are going to be able to get rid of stajan, so having him play on the wing is probably good for his game, since hes not a great center anymore, less responsibility would be good. Janko might need some seasoning, I dont think its likely he gets shifted to the wing but its defiantly an option. I said in the other thread, but brouwer was on the 4th line at the end of the season, I dont see GG having a problem doing it again. I dont think the 3 guys I listed have a hard time beating brouwer our for top 9 spots, and if versteeg comes back those chances in the top 9 get slimmer for brouwer. But, if the flames want to give brouwer a good chance to succeed playing him with backlund would obviously be the best bet. But it would surprise me if lazar gets a chance with backlund over brouwer.

Wouldn't we all want Brouwer to succeed ? it is like everyone wants to punish him for not being good LAST SEASON. If I am a good coach GG cannot afford to think that way.

It will be up to Brouwer where he ends up but I definitely don't see GG starting him out on the 4th line RW.

2 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Wouldn't we all want Brouwer to succeed ? it is like everyone wants to punish him for not being good LAST SEASON. If I am a good coach GG cannot afford to think that way.

It will be up to Brouwer where he ends up but I definitely don't see GG starting him out on the 4th line RW.

I agree this is the year we find out what he's made of.

He came in with fanfare,  had a god awful season by anyones standards, got demoted to the bottom line, was then offered for free to an expansion team.. may as well have been placed on waivers.

He should come in with a giant chip on his shoulder and something to prove..

we shall see 

12 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I agree. Which is why in the other thread I put him with backlund/frolik, im just hoping he steps up. But it wouldnt surprise me to see him on the 4th line before long, if he doesnt improve his offensive play

2 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

In all honesty, I have no idea what the lines will look like.  Brouwer finishing the season on the 4th line was due to results or fit.  At best, he's a 2-3rd line player.  Whatever that means.  I can't see him playing on Monahan's line.  Breaking up the Backlund line, moving Frolik to LW and playing Brouwer on RW doesn't seem to make sense.  That really leaves playing him with Bennett or the 4th line.  

The only way he is going to stay on Bennett's line is if they develop some serious chemistry early on.  I haven't seen that to date, but that just a rudimentary assemment of last year's results.  You can only force it so much.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Breaking up the Backlund line, moving Frolik to LW and playing Brouwer on RW doesn't seem to make sense.  

ive seen alot of talk about this, but the flames have said they believe in pairings. I think the only pairing that makes sense for bennett is tkachuk, so the backlund line is probably going to get split up. While the line was very good, I dont see it being a huge issue to split them up, and while it is alot of moves, its not really the end of the world for frolik to move to the other side so they can play with brouwer.

The more important part is probably that tkachuk will be with bennett.

6 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

ive seen alot of talk about this, but the flames have said they believe in pairings. I think the only pairing that makes sense for bennett is tkachuk, so the backlund line is probably going to get split up. While the line was very good, I dont see it being a huge issue to split them up, and while it is alot of moves, its not really the end of the world for frolik to move to the other side so they can play with brouwer.

The more important part is probably that tkachuk will be with bennett.

I don't disagree with your statement.  I would like to see that as well.  But losing Tkachuk AND moving Frolik to LW is pretty drastic.  If we had a top RW, then Ferland could replace Tkachuk on LW and Tkachuk could go directly to Bennett's LW.  If that happened, then we could probably use Brouwer on that line and he might fit.

30 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I agree this is the year we find out what he's made of.

He came in with fanfare,  had a god awful season by anyones standards, got demoted to the bottom line, was then offered for free to an expansion team.. may as well have been placed on waivers.

He should come in with a giant chip on his shoulder and something to prove..

we shall see 

You have a weird way of seeing some situations. He was hardly offered for free and it was a safe assumption by BT that he wouldn't be taken so it allowed him to protect other important pieces. All of this said I agree he should come into this season with something to prove.

34 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Breaking up the Backlund line, moving Frolik to LW and playing Brouwer on RW doesn't seem to make sense.  

I'm not so sure I agree.

Whether we like it or not Brouwer is here until he deal expires or they buy him out but Flames are stuck with him so putting him with 2 players who have proven to be able to have success no matter who plays with them is one of the few ways you can at least try and get some decent ROI on Brouwer. Frolik has played LW and RW int he past with equal effectivness, so if you really want to get everyone going a Frolik-Backlund - Brouwer line actually makes a lot of sense. 

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

In all honesty, I have no idea what the lines will look like.  Brouwer finishing the season on the 4th line was due to results or fit.  At best, he's a 2-3rd line player.  Whatever that means.  I can't see him playing on Monahan's line.  Breaking up the Backlund line, moving Frolik to LW and playing Brouwer on RW doesn't seem to make sense.  That really leaves playing him with Bennett or the 4th line.  

The only way he is going to stay on Bennett's line is if they develop some serious chemistry early on.  I haven't seen that to date, but that just a rudimentary assemment of last year's results.  You can only force it so much.

Sorry you think what you do I think it makes perfect sense, Frolik is a LHS and has played LW in the past, not a huge adjustment for him. This could give us one of the best checking lines in hockey. This also breaks out Tkachuk to create what I would hope to be a way more productive scoring line and our future 2nd line for production. I don't think Brouwer with Bennett works or serves a purpose, neither does busting him down to the 4th line at 4.5M $$$. GG has to get moreout of Brouwer and the line I proposed make the most sense.

11 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

You have a weird way of seeing some situations. He was hardly offered for free and it was a safe assumption by BT that he wouldn't be taken so it allowed him to protect other important pieces. All of this said I agree he should come into this season with something to prove.

calculated risk or not. he was offered for free...  he was exposed so they could protect Curtis Lazar. No matter how you look at it, it was a well deserved slap in the face  The Flames valued 7 forwards more than him, one of which is a project. 

Had he played as advertised , they would not have taken the risk 

29 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Tkachuk to create what I would hope to be a way more productive scoring line and our future 2nd line for production. I don't think Brouwer with Bennett works or serves a purpose

These two statements I agree with.  

Brouwer has sunk the possession of every other line he played on, which is why I don't think he fits with Backlund.  But as you say, we shall see.

22 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

These two statements I agree with.  

Brouwer has sunk the possession of every other line he played on, which is why I don't think he fits with Backlund.  But as you say, we shall see.

Backs and Frolik have also raised the possession of whoever they have played with....

49 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

calculated risk or not. he was offered for free...  he was exposed so they could protect Curtis Lazar. No matter how you look at it, it was a well deserved slap in the face  The Flames valued 7 forwards more than him, one of which is a project. 

Had he played as advertised , they would not have taken the risk 

Maybe ask him if felt that way before you assume things. I doubt it fazed him at all.

1 minute ago, MAC331 said:

Maybe ask him if felt that way before you assume things. I doubt it fazed him at all.

We can only speculate.  He's a big boy.  Hockey is a business.  Had he been selected by Vegas, he might not have been too happy, considering he was building a home here last summer.  On the other hand, he was never considered to be part of the core.  He knew that.  

Just now, travel_dude said:

Sorry that I wasn't clear.  Last year, before Tkachuk started on the 3M line, who played there with Backs-Frolik?

Ah you mean the few games at the start of the season before they were put together. Let's see if my memory is correct it was

Bennett with Brouwer and Tkachuk, Gaudreau with Monahan and Versteeg, Stajan with Ferland and Chiasson. So, it must have been Bouma who played the first few games on Backs LW.

54 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We can only speculate.  He's a big boy.  Hockey is a business.  Had he been selected by Vegas, he might not have been too happy, considering he was building a home here last summer.  On the other hand, he was never considered to be part of the core.  He knew that.  

It's all speculation but he has been around the game for a long time. He was building that home before he ever contemplated signing here so irrelevant IMO.

46 minutes ago, manu11 said:

Ah you mean the few games at the start of the season before they were put together. Let's see if my memory is correct it was

Bennett with Brouwer and Tkachuk, Gaudreau with Monahan and Versteeg, Stajan with Ferland and Chiasson. So, it must have been Bouma who played the first few games on Backs LW.

It doesn't matter one bit. Tkachuk was a 18 yr old rookie and he was put with those two to help him learn the right way.

Archived