2017 World Junior Hockey Championships - Flames Prospects

Figured this deserved a spot to discuss anything World juniors or Flames Prospects. 

Recap of who is attending:

Dillon Dube - Team Canada

Adam Fox - Team USA

Tyler Parsons - Team USA

Pavel Karnaukov - Team Russia

Oliver Kylington - Team Sweden

So far in the 2 Prelim Games Dube has 2 points for Team Canada and seems to be playing in a 3rd line role. 

Tyler Parsons had a bit of a rough go of it in their first prelim game giving up 3 goals to the Swiss on only 24 shots. Fox with no points in his first game. However, both made the team.

Kylington was just released so on his way there and best I can tell Karnaukov has not played in a prelim game yet.

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Dube has played well for Canada. I haven't seen much of anyone else so far other than Karnaukov in the Russian game (no impact). We play the USA tonight which I will be watching so I hope both Fox and Parsons play.

Parsons isn't starting today for the US and Fox will be skating as the 7th defenseman.

Canada is in trouble without Myers, their D isn't that great outside of Chabot and Myers.

Strome and Dubois aren't moving their feet and are pretty much useless. Strome looks scared of getting hit.

The Jost line has been the only line to get sustained pressure.

Dube looks like he wants to make something happen he just isn't getting enough ice time. I would switch him and Dubois.

I am not a big fan of the way this team Canada has played to this point in the tournament, way too soft, just relying on skill, no passion or determination in their game.

13 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Canada is in trouble without Myers, their D isn't that great outside of Chabot and Myers.

Strome and Dubois aren't moving their feet and are pretty much useless. Strome looks scared of getting hit.

Dube looks like he wants to make something happen he just isn't getting enough ice time. I would switch him and Dubois.

I am not a big fan of the way this team Canada has played to this point in the tournament, way too soft, just relying on skill, no passion or determination in their game.

In trouble?  That's to say it mildly.  The two minute penalty for passing the goal stick and the 5 min major was a joke.  That was a 7 minute pp gift and they are still behind 3-1.

21 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

In trouble?  That's to say it mildly.  The two minute penalty for passing the goal stick and the 5 min major was a joke.  That was a 7 minute pp gift and they are still behind 3-1.

This team hasn't played like a gold medal team in this tournament.

They haven't gotten great goaltending, their defense isn't great after Chabot, guys like Strome, Dubois and Gauthier haven't as good as Canada needs them to be, (as I type this Dubois takes an idiotic penalty for putting the puck into the net after the whistle.). 

Canada really could have used Chychrun, and Beauvillier and Konecny for that matter. I guess you can say the same thing for the US with Matthews and Tkachuk.

dubois has been awful no question. That last penalty was just ridiculous and you simply cannot take that. 

I still think Canada is in good shape though. Us are one of the top teams in the tournament and Canada has outplayed the most part. Need to get better first periods and stop looking for the fancy plays but they are right there. 

Been impreased with Dube and I think they need to either play his line more or elevate him. Only line that consistently makes something happen. 

12 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't suspect the flames will have a top 10 pick so likely doesn't matter but I've been real impressed with Nico Hischier in this tournament. Same skill as Baertschi but with a much higher compete level. 

I agree Hischier has been great. I think he has worked himself into a top 5 pick if he hasn't put himself into top 3 consideration with Patrick and Liljegren.

Parsons with a clutch save on Hischier that saved game for US. He's been good, not great, in the tourney so far and be interesting to see how US goes from here. Been alternating every game.  To be fair neither US goalie has needed to be great though Their D, albeit unspectacular on paper, is the best performing unit thus far. 

Hischier showed a lot of drive and determination this tournament, he willed the Swiss to a couple of victories and almost carried them to a win over the US, pretty good showing for a draft eligible player. He and Rasmus Dahlin were the best underage players in the tournament. 

Dahlin is even more impressive as he isn't eligible till 2018, but this kid is incredible. He is a special talent.

32 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Parsons was player of the game for Team USA today. Thrived under pressure as the game got close and was real solid in the shootout. Definetly raises his game when the pressure heats up. 

I agree.  He was good enough to keep the Americans in it during the shootout.  I don't think you can really fault him on the goals.  Maybe the wraparound.

What I saw was a lot of USA defensive gaffs.  Jones looked like one of the ones that created those gaffs.  The Oilers should rush him into the NHL.

On 12/31/2016 at 4:07 PM, JTech780 said:

The Flames had him in development camp but let him walk. He went to Philly & showed enough to get an ELC.

6'5" & a RD but BT figured he wasn't worth 0.65 on a 2 way.

Missed out big time.

10 minutes ago, flyerfans52 said:

The Flames had him in development camp but let him walk. He went to Philly & showed enough to get an ELC.

6'5" & a RD but BT figured he wasn't worth 0.65 on a 2 way.

Missed out big time.

That was 2015, right?   think we have missed out on more than one player, TBH.

Canada's coach has done a terrible job with the goalies in this tournament. Neither goalie has confidence going into this game.

Dube's line just seems to give the opposition trouble every time they are out there. Stephens looks like a man on a mission.

I am really not a fan of Strome, he is good on the PP, but 5v5 he just doesn't play with any pace.

International refing is really hard to watch. So inconsistent.

I could watch Kylington skate all day.

I really like Cirelli, so good all over the ice, he has been great in the face-off for, and just comes up with clutch goals. He is going to be a very good 3rd line center for Tampa in a couple of years.

44 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

International refing is really hard to watch. So inconsistent.

I could watch Kylington skate all day.

I really like Cirelli, so good all over the ice, he has been great in the face-off for, and just comes up with clutch goals. He is going to be a very good 3rd line center for Tampa in a couple of years.

Kylington has looked good, I've been impressed.

chirelli has been a beast all tournament, same with his whole line with dube

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

That was 2015, right?   think we have missed out on more than one player, TBH.

The 1st time he was eligible for the draft was 2015 but had injuries that scared scouts. I think the rejection by the Flames was 2015. He was signed by the Flyers just ahead of the 2016 draft.

A real nice frebie.

Impressed by Carter Hart. To come in cold to a game of this magnitude and play with so much poise and just slam the door is impressive. He really should have started after Ingram was so/so against the Czechs but still really impressive. 

Team Canada finally played a full game of committed and passionate hockey like they gave a damn. This is a very skilled team but so far they've lacked a lot of the determination and will you want to see from a Canadian team. They'll beat the US if they bring it again. 

The Dube-Cirelli-Stephens line has been so clutch for Canada. Even though Dube hasn't been on the scoresheet much I think he's having a great tournament. Playing his role perfectly. 

12 hours ago, cross16 said:

The Dube-Cirelli-Stephens line has been so clutch for Canada. Even though Dube hasn't been on the scoresheet much I think he's having a great tournament. Playing his role perfectly. 

ive been more impressed by Dube then strome or barzal, dube has been making a difference 5 on 5, strome and barzal have been good on the pp but gross 5 on 5, I havent liked their game. Last night they got a goal 4 on 4 but meh, I think dube has had a butt load of chances and has been driving the puck the right way, ive really liked his game, alot more then say raddysh, who everyone says we should have drafted.

Archived