Nolan Patrick

jjgallow

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

i think you are lumping me in with others considering I called McDavid generational and Mathews elite talents.

I might be, sorry.   I can't honestly remember the details and the thread's vanished.  I'm assuming deleted, or merged into others.

We'll see soon enough, and that's the fun part.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

hmm.

To be honest, I'm not seeing the level of production I was hoping for when NP returned.  Unless that happens soon I may have to fall back in line with the majority opinion before the draft.

Hes still having a pretty good year for missing time, when I watched brandon play moose jaw on sports net the other night, he just isent as dynamic as say a mcdavid is. I think hes going to be a good NHL player, but just not that generational level. If he turns out like kopitar or even a barkov thats still a really good hockey player.

15 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Hes still having a pretty good year for missing time, when I watched brandon play moose jaw on sports net the other night, he just isent as dynamic as say a mcdavid is. I think hes going to be a good NHL player, but just not that generational level. If he turns out like kopitar or even a barkov thats still a really good hockey player.

I'm still high on him, just I would need to see his production increase further into the end of the season or the playoffs to continue to be generational high.

Right now, based on what he's doing I would still take him over Kopitar.   It's a good comparison, but I think you get more goals and more general dominance out of Patrick.   Obviously missing the complete game, but that's likely an age thing.   I haven't completely lost hope on the generational thing, as we don't know how fully recovered he is from his injury, but things would need to pick up to another level soon.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-02-05 at 8:20 PM, robrob74 said:

Some on here say thaf stats at least project whether someone has the skill to play in the NHL. Albeit, I they were referring to D, that most D need to show some level of offensive skill. 

Perhaps it was Kehatch. Where is Kehatch lately? 

Hard to say, but sounds a bit like me with Adam Fox.    There's definitely more than one of us who could have said it.   I think it Definitely applies to D (more pronounced), but it also applies to forwards.

In other news, Nolan's shown he plays well in Calgary.   Not currently looking likely he'll end up here, but who knows.

http://whl.ca/gamecentre/1014319

Will be interesting to see if this starts a streak for him, or if he goes back to "almost" amazing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2017 at 0:09 AM, jjgallow said:

And...I think I'm making it official now.... I'm recanting my generational hopes and falling back in line with everyone else on this one.

NP would still look great in a Flames Uniform, but he's not looking like the second coming. :(

It's tough, he's definitely not playing up to par since returning. He's had too many poor and average games to be considered a true generational prospect.

At this point he's starting to play his way out of the consensus 1st overall position, which would never happen to a Crosby-level prospect.

This year's draft at the top looks extremely weak, and I think a lot of scouts are having to downgrade their projections for a lot of players. It's looking a lot like this year might not even match 2011 in terms of high-end talent. A lot of good, even great, prospects, but all of those impressing would probably be in that 10-15 range in last year's draft, for instance.

Decent depth of the caliber of prospects, but that lack of high-end talent stands out considering the drafts before and after all look very strong at this point in time.

1 hour ago, Crzydrvr said:

It's tough, he's definitely not playing up to par since returning. He's had too many poor and average games to be considered a true generational prospect.

At this point he's starting to play his way out of the consensus 1st overall position, which would never happen to a Crosby-level prospect.

This year's draft at the top looks extremely weak, and I think a lot of scouts are having to downgrade their projections for a lot of players. It's looking a lot like this year might not even match 2011 in terms of high-end talent. A lot of good, even great, prospects, but all of those impressing would probably be in that 10-15 range in last year's draft, for instance.

Decent depth of the caliber of prospects, but that lack of high-end talent stands out considering the drafts before and after all look very strong at this point in time.

What does the D look like this year? Is it a year you take a flyer on a D in the 1st round? 

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

What does the D look like this year? Is it a year you take a flyer on a D in the 1st round? 

I think it's probably your best bet to do so if you wanna hit a home run and you're drafting in the middle of the round. 

The elite talent up front isn't there, and most of the forwards will probably top off as really good second line players (although one or two will, as normal, rise above the rest and break through into top line players). On the other hand, there's only one defender that is a safe bet and a top 10 caliber prospect in this year's draft IMO (and it isn't who you think it is). The rest are all medium risk medium reward or high risk boom or bust picks. There's a lot of them hanging around so I'd say the chances are good that of those non - top 10 caliber guys at least one or two will end up being top pairing players, the question is can you get a little lucky with it because a 1 in 4 chance (at best) isn't a great ratio for success at all. 

29 minutes ago, Crzydrvr said:

I think it's probably your best bet to do so if you wanna hit a home run and you're drafting in the middle of the round. 

The elite talent up front isn't there, and most of the forwards will probably top off as really good second line players (although one or two will, as normal, rise above the rest and break through into top line players). On the other hand, there's only one defender that is a safe bet and a top 10 caliber prospect in this year's draft IMO (and it isn't who you think it is). The rest are all medium risk medium reward or high risk boom or bust picks. There's a lot of them hanging around so I'd say the chances are good that of those non - top 10 caliber guys at least one or two will end up being top pairing players, the question is can you get a little lucky with it because a 1 in 4 chance (at best) isn't a great ratio for success at all. 

If the calibre isn't that great then a Top4 is a good shot. 

We do want to start thinking of a top pair guy because we need to start thinking of a successor to Giordano.

Can Brodie be that, with Hamilton. I am also Hoping Hickey, Andersson, or Kylington can rise. But are any of them top pairs?

5 hours ago, Crzydrvr said:

I beg to differ. 2011 gave us Scheifele, Couturier & others that are now coming into their own (Couts proved value early) & surpassing 1st OA RNH.

Of course there are gems to be found with scouting & GMs that know not very 1st rounder will be a superstar next season. 2012 gave us 1st OA Yakupov while lower picks like Trouba, Forsberg & others have value.

I have no qualms about trading away our high round picks this year but if offered a 1st rounder for a player that insn't in long term plans I'd do it & roll the dice to take what the Flames see as BPA. I don't mind waiting a few years for a player to mature & grow into his body discovering what he can do now. If it means a few years in junior or the AHL so be it.

The draft used to be for 21 year olds where it was basically what you see is what you get. The WHA forced the NHL's hand by signing the under-agers. People change a lot in the 3 years.

37 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I beg to differ. 2011 gave us Scheifele, Couturier & others that are now coming into their own (Couts proved value early) & surpassing 1st OA RNH.

Of course there are gems to be found with scouting & GMs that know not very 1st rounder will be a superstar next season. 2012 gave us 1st OA Yakupov while lower picks like Trouba, Forsberg & others have value.

I agree, which is why I say it's a weaker draft at the top. This has a high chance of being a draft where the best prospect isn't even drafted in the top 5 or 10. That makes it weak at the top, even below average drafts tend to have at least one or two players separate themselves from the pack. There will be gems as usual, but the top pick has been devalued because of that uncertainty, similar to 2012. Why pay out the nose for a player that you might be able to match at a pick way lower?

Nobody in this draft is of the caliber of a consensus top 3 pick across most average draft years IMO. Don't get me wrong, I love Hischier and Patrick, but neither would be top 3 picks in last year's draft and everyone else in this draft would be on the cusp of the top 10 last year, at best. It's just not a great year to be picking 3rd, you're likely to get a player that in other years might fall in that 7-10 range of player, which as we've seen historically is a crapshoot in terms of NHL projections.

The gap between a top 10 pick and a late 1st round pick is as thin as I've seen in the last 5 years, and we could see a lot of movement in terms of draft pick for draft pick trades as teams will be focusing on particular players they like more than usual.

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/03/2017 at 9:15 PM, Flyerfan52 said:

The draft used to be for 21 year olds where it was basically what you see is what you get. The WHA forced the NHL's hand by signing the under-agers. People change a lot in the 3 years.

I hope we go back to that.  Or in that direciton

Archived