The Rebuild over?

DirtyDeeds

"The rebuild"?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Are We finished the" Rebuild?"

• Yes We have our new core, so the rebuild is done.
    • No we need to find upgrades.
    • No we will never be done.
    • Yes just need to find the right peripheral players along with vets.
    • Rebuild was over when we made the playoffs. Just need some tweaking

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

It's kind of mind-blowing retribution that ARI took on Datsyuk's $7.5 to get Chychrun though.

For 1 year. They were 1 of the few teams that could fit it under the cap hit.

Over the summer other teams couldn't take it on as they were trying to improve but simply carrying until season start they got the pick for a contract that can be disposed of as a defected player or voluntary retirement if/when cap space was needed.

Since the "Yotes have no plan to compete for a few years as they load the cupboard that & the Pronger/Bolland deals were smart GMing. (The Leafs were doing similar for a few years until they filled the pipeline).

35 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Are you implying Edmonton is in a better spot than Calgary? Outside of McDavid and Talbot, that lineup is a joke and nowhere near a Cup contender and they won't be any time soon.

The worst part is if mcdavid doesn't get on the scoresheet they struggle, they are a one line team and won't be able to sign all of their players then improve their d. I still think they are lacking a number one d man but I'm curious to see what they do

50 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Are you implying Edmonton is in a better spot than Calgary? Outside of McDavid and Talbot, that lineup is a joke and nowhere near a Cup contender and they won't be any time soon.

Not willingly...I don't want to.

But, at the end of the day...the results are the results and we're halfway through the season.

https://www.nhl.com/standings

21 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Not willingly...I don't want to.

But, at the end of the day...the results are the results and we're halfway through the season.

https://www.nhl.com/standings

Except we have won more games than they have, the only reason they have more points is because they are better at losing than we are.

13 hours ago, jjgallow said:

.......  The equivalent would be, if you have a family and you have a choice between buying a Brand New Minivan, or throwing $30K into the kid's RESP.

So ...the parents who don't buy the minivan, by the same logic, would be failing their kids.

Minivan??? pfft..... Let the kids walk.

I walked 10 miles to school uphill both ways, when it was -40 and wind chills were -60...... in a T-Shirt..... with no sleeves..... I turned out okay.....

2ee70253310c4cfb4ad6e7e6e0a60a94.jpg

RESP??? you are kidding right? let them do a paper route.. What you mean no such thing as papers anymore?? See that shovel and lawnmower???? 

Maturity and experience for our current core players will be the necessary ingredient to advance what has been a rebuild. Complimentary players will also be important as certain veterans drop off the roster. Also how BT choses to fix our net going forward will be important.

We stand to lose Elliott, Johnson, Wideman, Engelland, Chiasson and Versteeg heading into next season. Our pipeline is developing with some quality players however Jankowski is the most likely to advance in 2017/18. Right now of the players leaving I would see Johnson being offered a contract to stay around.

NEEDS: Goaltender, two RHS defensemen, two RHS RWers.

10 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Minivan??? pfft..... Let the kids walk.

I walked 10 miles to school uphill both ways, when it was -40 and wind chills were -60...... in a T-Shirt..... with no sleeves..... I turned out okay.....

2ee70253310c4cfb4ad6e7e6e0a60a94.jpg

RESP??? you are kidding right? let them do a paper route.. What you mean no such thing as papers anymore?? See that shovel and lawnmower???? 

Awesome....you need to write a guide :)

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Maturity and experience for our current core players will be the necessary ingredient to advance what has been a rebuild. Complimentary players will also be important as certain veterans drop off the roster. Also how BT choses to fix our net going forward will be important.

We stand to lose Elliott, Johnson, Wideman, Engelland, Chiasson and Versteeg heading into next season. Our pipeline is developing with some quality players however Jankowski is the most likely to advance in 2017/18. Right now of the players leaving I would see Johnson being offered a contract to stay around.

NEEDS: Goaltender, two RHS defensemen, two RHS RWers.

I would add a left D to that, and insist that at least one from each of those positions is a top 6 or first-line player.

But yeah, I agree.   The question is, how do we get those players when we've ran out of top picks?  It's a lot more than filling holes, due to the quality needed.

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I would add a left D to that, and insist that at least one from each of those positions is a top 6 or first-line player.

But yeah, I agree.   The question is, how do we get those players when we've ran out of top picks?  It's a lot more than filling holes, due to the quality needed.

Be a little realistic here, we dont need another first line right shot d man, we need a 4th d man right now preferably right shot. We certainly dont need a first line right shot d man and another left d man. We can probably bring engelland back on a short term deal for low cost, kulak will probably play bottom pairing minutes next year and I wouldnt be suprised if we went for someone like franson in free agency to sort out our 2nd pairing. 

To reply to mac I would assume that either one of chiasson or versteeg is back next year, as they both fill the top 9 out nicely I dont see why you wouldnt bring one of those guys back, so we really are in need of one RW which could very well be pribyl if gets going in the second half, was out for a month injured, if not I doubt we overspend in free agency.

I see johnson coming back on a 2 year deal, and then im assuming we find a back up on a 1 year deal as I dont think we will bring back both johnson and elliot.

But other then that I wouldnt be suprised to see our additions be franson, maybe pribyl for the right wing spot, and then we are looking at some RFAs for the right wing or overpaying for a guy over 30 in free agency. 

Its very possible we could trade for a guy the orginization thinks fits our right side, by using our depth at the left wing and on D.

4 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Be a little realistic here, we dont need another first line right shot d man, we need a 4th d man right now preferably right shot. We certainly dont need a first line right shot d man and another left d man. We can probably bring engelland back on a short term deal for low cost, kulak will probably play bottom pairing minutes next year and I wouldnt be suprised if we went for someone like franson in free agency to sort out our 2nd pairing. 

To reply to mac I would assume that either one of chiasson or versteeg is back next year, as they both fill the top 9 out nicely I dont see why you wouldnt bring one of those guys back, so we really are in need of one RW which could very well be pribyl if gets going in the second half, was out for a month injured, if not I doubt we overspend in free agency.

I see johnson coming back on a 2 year deal, and then im assuming we find a back up on a 1 year deal as I dont think we will bring back both johnson and elliot.

But other then that I wouldnt be suprised to see our additions be franson, maybe pribyl for the right wing spot, and then we are looking at some RFAs for the right wing or overpaying for a guy over 30 in free agency. 

Its very possible we could trade for a guy the orginization thinks fits our right side, by using our depth at the left wing and on D.

Yes I just listed those with expiring contracts because you can't assume they bring back anyone as it is the player's choice. I am in agreement BT should bring back Johnson and I would hope to see one of Gilles or Rittch brought up. If I had to choose between Versteeg or Chiasson I would choose Versteeg but only if the deal was for no more than 1.5M. Personally I like the M Stone suggestion for RHS defenseman at around 3.75M. I will disagree on the need for the top line RW and would like to see them get Oshie if BT could for 4.5M and 4 years. I think he would be solid with Gaudreau and Monahan. If Pribyl is worthy of a position I see nothing wrong with bringing him in on the 4th line, this is why we may not see either Chiasson or Versteeg back.

45 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Yes I just listed those with expiring contracts because you can't assume they bring back anyone as it is the player's choice. I am in agreement BT should bring back Johnson and I would hope to see one of Gilles or Rittch brought up. If I had to choose between Versteeg or Chiasson I would choose Versteeg but only if the deal was for no more than 1.5M. Personally I like the M Stone suggestion for RHS defenseman at around 3.75M. I will disagree on the need for the top line RW and would like to see them get Oshie if BT could for 4.5M and 4 years. I think he would be solid with Gaudreau and Monahan. If Pribyl is worthy of a position I see nothing wrong with bringing him in on the 4th line, this is why we may not see either Chiasson or Versteeg back.

I dont think we need a top line RW , if mony and gaudreau were playing up to their standards, chiasson or brouwer would be fine on their wing. I agree id love to see stone, I think id prefer him over schenn to be honest but thats just me. Although oshie would be a good add on the right contract but I think we can find someone younger and cheaper to fill that spot.

16 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I dont think we need a top line RW , if mony and gaudreau were playing up to their standards, chiasson or brouwer would be fine on their wing. I agree id love to see stone, I think id prefer him over schenn to be honest but thats just me. Although oshie would be a good add on the right contract but I think we can find someone younger and cheaper to fill that spot.

I disagree with you on this and have said they need someone that buys them space or they become to easy to cover (like now). The opposition doesn't worry about Chiasson. Oshie is the type that would demand some attention for the opposition, the guy is 29 with the experience level to make a difference.

Our reality heading into next season is we could use both Stone and Schenn for our RS defense. Schenn is priced right and if Stone could be had for around 3.75M we would be in good shape.

1 minute ago, MAC331 said:

I disagree with you on this and have said they need someone that buys them space or they become to easy to cover (like now). The opposition doesn't worry about Chiasson. Oshie is the type that would demand some attention for the opposition, the guy is 29 with the experience level to make a difference.

Our reality heading into next season is we could use both Stone and Schenn for our RS defense. Schenn is priced right and if Stone could be had for around 3.75M we would be in good shape.

I think id rather have engelland on our bottom pairing then schenn, but thats just me. 

I see where youre coming from on the RW issue, but theres has been a few times that chiasson has found himself wide open in front of the net for some great chances some hes scored some he has not, but the reality is hes had some good chances. If Johnny would start passing the puck, which he barely is doing right now we might be scoring a bit more. The past few games the team has been really poor 5 on 5, but alot of guys are gripping their sticks too tight and trying to do it all on their own.

2 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I think id rather have engelland on our bottom pairing then schenn, but thats just me. 

I see where youre coming from on the RW issue, but theres has been a few times that chiasson has found himself wide open in front of the net for some great chances some hes scored some he has not, but the reality is hes had some good chances. If Johnny would start passing the puck, which he barely is doing right now we might be scoring a bit more. The past few games the team has been really poor 5 on 5, but alot of guys are gripping their sticks too tight and trying to do it all on their own.

We have to move forward beyond this year.  Engelland is playing really well this season, but he has known deficiencies.  He's rather slow.  He gets beaten down low.  We will lose him by the end of the season at the least.  Schenn gives you more offense and a similar defense.  He's a little nastier than Engie.

Johnny's issue is lack of finish from his line mates.  He's frustrated.  Put him back with Monahan and Versteeg or Brouwer.  Give him someone to pass to.  Long term, we need a top RW to play with him. Look at McDavid; he has Draisaitl and Maroon (who can finish).  What we have isn't scoring.

22 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Hey I love what Engelland has provided but he isn't getting any younger or cheaper whereas Schenn would be much of the same player younger and cheaper.

Personally I think Gaudreau stinks right now (there I said it) however he is always going to get a lot of defensive attention if his linemates are not their own offensive threats. Versteeg is no superstar but the opposition knows he can hurt them if unattended. Worth a try IMO.

24 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We have to move forward beyond this year.  Engelland is playing really well this season, but he has known deficiencies.  He's rather slow.  He gets beaten down low.  We will lose him by the end of the season at the least.  Schenn gives you more offense and a similar defense.  He's a little nastier than Engie.

Johnny's issue is lack of finish from his line mates.  He's frustrated.  Put him back with Monahan and Versteeg or Brouwer.  Give him someone to pass to.  Long term, we need a top RW to play with him. Look at McDavid; he has Draisaitl and Maroon (who can finish).  What we have isn't scoring.

Ahem he was with mony with the same results this season, and we dont need a top RW to play with him. Maroon is riding sky high shooting percentages to his goals, but that aside maroon is a complimentary player, hes not a top RW or LW because hes playing the left side. We need a right winger with more finish, I dont think we do, as currently everyone on this team is struggling offensively and has been all season, I wish I was counting but chiasson has hit more then a few posts, and could very well finish with 20 goals this season, the team would have to get going for this to happen. Why is it that people on these forums continually make excuses for the players? Brodie isent playing his proper side or johnny doesnt have good linemates, these guys are professional hockey players. Johnny has played with mony for more then a few games, and bennett for more then a few games both are very good line mates, like draisaitl. Maroon is a complimentary player, who can play up and down your top 9 like a brouwer or a chiasson, chiasson is sitting at 11% for shooting percentage though. 

@Mac it could be worth a try, but im not 100% sure it happens because then you are loading up one line, then bennett or mony gets to play with brouwer and chiasson? or tkachuk and chiasson would be nice. 

Just now, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Ahem he was with mony with the same results this season, and we dont need a top RW to play with him. Maroon is riding sky high shooting percentages to his goals, but that aside maroon is a complimentary player, hes not a top RW or LW because hes playing the left side. We need a right winger with more finish, I dont think we do, as currently everyone on this team is struggling offensively and has been all season, I wish I was counting but chiasson has hit more then a few posts, and could very well finish with 20 goals this season, the team would have to get going for this to happen. Why is it that people on these forums continually make excuses for the players? Brodie isent playing his proper side or johnny doesnt have good linemates, these guys are professional hockey players. Johnny has played with mony for more then a few games, and bennett for more then a few games both are very good line mates, like draisaitl. Maroon is a complimentary player, who can play up and down your top 9 like a brouwer or a chiasson, chiasson is sitting at 11% for shooting percentage though. 

Scoring success will always be a matter of which players gell together or compliment each others talents. Going way back in the day who would have ever thought a line of Hodge,Esposito and Cashman would have lead to one of the highest scoring lines in hockey. I don't think any of our current RW players are the answer for Gaudreau and Monahan so GG is trying to make the best out of the situation.

Bennett has been saddled with so many different line mates and position shifts I don't think anyone should complain about him, I feel for the guy.

Archived