Young Stars Classic 2016

Also, no Poirier or Shinkaruk, but Klimchuk is on the roster.  What can be read into that?  (Is it an age thing?  He's a few months younger than the other two)

I think it's where the Flames see them in terms of deveopment. I thik they view, as they should, Porier and Shinkaruk as further along in their development and potetnial options for the NHL club this year. With less pro experience, and some nagging injuries over the years, Klimchuk is behind and can benefit more from a development camp such as this. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's where the Flames see them in terms of deveopment. I thik they view, as they should, Porier and Shinkaruk as further along in their development and potetnial options for the NHL club this year. With less pro experience, and some nagging injuries over the years, Klimchuk is behind and can benefit more from a development camp such as this. 

Here is how they determined who got to go:

Eligibility Requirements

While it's referred to as a rookie tournament, it's not as simple as any rookie can participate. The definition of a rookie as the NHL sees it is different from the guidelines in place for this tournament. Per Flames assistant general manager Brad Pascall, here are the general rules around eligibility:

• Must have played less than 100 pro games in North America (includes both regular season and playoffs). So that's AHL, ECHL and minor pro.
  • Must have played less than 25 NHL games.
  • Must be born in year 1993 or later

He added that special consideration is granted to players that are first-year professionals that might not otherwise meet this criteria.

Porier has played 100 pro games so is ineligible. Was mentioned on radio yesterday in interview. Has nothing to do with how they view him.

LInes for tonight.

They all make sense but I think Hunter Smith really needs to have a great camp becuase he is quickly falling on the depth chart. I get there is talent ahead of him but having a 2nd round pick as a 4th liner at a camp like this is not ideal.

But on a positive note I really like the looks of that top line. Could be exicting to see those guys work. I'm starting to get the feeling the Klimchuk is going to be my darkhorse guy. People have stopped talking about him but I think he is really primed to have a good tournament and good push for the roster come training camp. 

I also like Culkin getting an opportunity. if this guy could stay healthy he'll challenge for a spot on the big club. 

post-3027-0-64541800-1474043761_thumb.png

I'm looking forward to the game tonight.  It'll be interesting to see some of the Flames prospects, but I'm also interested in getting a look at Kyle Connor.  It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up playing for the Jets this year.

Connor was the best of the Jets tonight. Fast, well-positioned and often dangerous. Overall the Flames hammered the Jets, with twice as many shots and frequently hemming them in with powerful forechecking.

LInes for tonight.

They all make sense but I think Hunter Smith really needs to have a great camp becuase he is quickly falling on the depth chart. I get there is talent ahead of him but having a 2nd round pick as a 4th liner at a camp like this is not ideal.

But on a positive note I really like the looks of that top line. Could be exicting to see those guys work. I'm starting to get the feeling the Klimchuk is going to be my darkhorse guy. People have stopped talking about him but I think he is really primed to have a good tournament and good push for the roster come training camp.

I also like Culkin getting an opportunity. if this guy could stay healthy he'll challenge for a spot on the big club.

attachicon.gifFlames lines.PNG

Klimchuk tweaked groin and replaced with Carroll,who was also good and scored. Culkin also good, in fact all the Flames were. Fast, quick, strong, they dominated play. Also seemed like both Smith and Kanzig have really improved their skating, really improved.

The Flames played an aggressive style with heavy forechecking and D involvement. The attack was relentless. It'll be interesting Saturday against Edmonton as they are also fast and have a much stronger D.

The lines are an interesting mix. Tuulola and the Timbits. Two other small guys (Kravchenko and Phillips) and Doucet.

Tkachuk playing with Janko and Klimchuk is interesting; two defense-first players and a tank.

Jankowski isn't a "defence-first" player. He was their best C with multiple great power moves and plays, and hey, he also killed penalties and was very good on D.

Tonight should be a better test.  I'll allow that the Flames were pretty good, but the Jets were bad.  How many breakaways, partial breaks and odd-man rushes did they give up?  If it weren't for Phillips in their net, it would've been a pretty lop-sided score.

It was good to see Jankowski play well.  I think he was one of the best players on the ice.  Seemed like he took a ton of faceoffs.

I really liked Tkachuk's game.  He didn't get any points, but his name is going to be all over the box score.  Burke has referred to him as both a "pain in the checking from behind" and a "dirtbag".  He lived up to those names.  I'll take a d-bag like that on my team any day.

People always rave about Killington's skating, and it was on display last night.  He's an exceptional skater, but there's room for growth in his overall game.  I hope he plays his way into first pairing minutes in Stockton.

Tonight should be a better test.  I'll allow that the Flames were pretty good, but the Jets were bad.  How many breakaways, partial breaks and odd-man rushes did they give up?  If it weren't for Phillips in their net, it would've been a pretty lop-sided score.

It was good to see Jankowski play well.  I think he was one of the best players on the ice.  Seemed like he took a ton of faceoffs.

I really liked Tkachuk's game.  He didn't get any points, but his name is going to be all over the box score.  Burke has referred to him as both a "pain in the checking from behind" and a "dirtbag".  He lived up to those names.  I'll take a d-bag like that on my team any day.

People always rave about Killington's skating, and it was on display last night.  He's an exceptional skater, but there's room for growth in his overall game.  I hope he plays his way into first pairing minutes in Stockton.

Tonight's game should be the best of the tournament. Their D is both sizeable and fairly mobile, they have some speed as well as a game-breaker in Puljujarvi if you give him enough room to get wound up. In the game against Vancouver they also seemed way more invested than the Canucks. Personally I think the Flames are faster overall, bigger, have better advanced D and more overall scoring but I guess we'll see. Ellis was solid last night but I have no idea of their other goalies. I'm expecting McDonald starting for us.

Yes there was lots to like from our perspective in this game. I think Jankowski is going to have been worth the wait. Flashes of good play from a number of others.

Jankowski isn't a "defence-first" player. He was their best C with multiple great power moves and plays, and hey, he also killed penalties and was very good on D.

Janko has always been a 2-way player.  Several of his chances last night were on the PK or in transition from a defensive posture.

Think Backlund over Bennett.  

I was surprised with Kanzig - he looked almost passable as a prospect.  On the goal against, it wasn't his skating as much as his Kris Russell impersonation that led to the goal.  

Mangiapane is a speedster with good hands.  Janko and him had several really good chances.  Phillips did a good Johnny impersonation hiding in the slot.  

I hate that Klimchuk is still hurt. I get its minor and they are probably holding him Out just to be safe but man that kid has to find a way to stay healthy. Basically has been bothered by something of some sort since they drafted him.

Yup. His chances of making the bigs falling. Injuries are a big part of it.

Mark Jankowski and Matthew Tkachuk look like they are a step ahead of everybody on the ice after 1 period.

Dyukov moves around pretty well out there.

Carroll is showing better hands than I would have thought.

Parsons needs to work on his handling of the puck.

Watching Kylington skate is a thing of beauty.

A couple other notes:

Hunter Smith's skating looks to be much improved this year.

Falkovsky moves extremely well for a guy his size, a very intriguing prospect.

McDonald has the size and athleticism to succeed at the next level, but he definitely needs some work with a top end goalie coach. For a big guy he looks small in the net.

I really liked what I saw from Jankowski. He looks like a pro, he seems to make the right play all over the ice.

Archived