Young Stars Classic 2016

Could we have found a few needed Centers for Stockton in Lomberg and Aagaard ?

I think Lomberg played center last year for Stockton.  I do like Aagaard, though.

My personal hope is that Aagaard and Burke and Kravchenko get contracts.  We got rid of a few this summer, so it would be nice to pick up some free players (not drafted) before they have to go back into the draft.  I believe that Kravchenko is considered a FA, since he attended UMass.

If I'm not mistaken, today is the cutoff for signing junior, un-drafted players.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Burke didn't get much of a look in the Young Stars tournament.  I'm surprised, as he was very good at the dev camp.  At that time, I was convinced they'd offer him a contract, but now I'm not so sure. 

I think the scouts have a better idea of his value than one to three games at Young Stars.  He has had as good a junior career as Pollock, so I would be surprised if they passed on him.

Personally I didn't see anyone at the tournmanet that I thought played their way to an NHL contract. Burke is still the closest for me and even then I would lean towards not giving a contract as of right now, but training camp may change that. At this point I think you wait until training camp and see if guys like Lomberg or Burke work their way to a pro deal. Right now I woudn't be offereing anyone else a pro contract as I don't really see a pro future in them but keep monitoring them during the year. 

If I'm not mistaken, today is the cutoff for signing junior, un-drafted players.

I can't find a link but if they have already accepted an inviting to camp then there is no cut off and you can sign the player right up to the point where you want to re assign them back to junior as you retain their rights through camp. That is how it happend for both Martin Jones and Nick Schneider. 

Personally I didn't see anyone at the tournmanet that I thought played their way to an NHL contract. Burke is still the closest for me and even then I would lean towards not giving a contract as of right now, but training camp may change that. At this point I think you wait until training camp and see if guys like Lomberg or Burke work their way to a pro deal. Right now I woudn't be offereing anyone else a pro contract as I don't really see a pro future in them but keep monitoring them during the year. 

I can't find a link but if they have already accepted an inviting to camp then there is no cut off and you can sign the player right up to the point where you want to re assign them back to junior as you retain their rights through camp. That is how it happend for both Martin Jones and Nick Schneider. 

That's good food for thought.  I think the guys that they had their eyes on weren't necessarily being evaluated just in this tourney.  I think that their body of work in junior or college would determine it a bit more.

That's good food for thought.  I think the guys that they had their eyes on weren't necessarily being evaluated just in this tourney.  I think that their body of work in junior or college would determine it a bit more.

Camp for me would be the kicker. I don't disagree the body of work would matter more than a short tournament but the key is they have to do it when the compeitition is closer to a pro level. One thing to play well amongst your peers, but quite another to stand out when guys like Brodie, Monahan, Gio hit the ice. If guys like Lomberg and Burke can stand out like that then i would expect they will get consideration for NHL deals. That's exactly how Nick Schneider got his last year. 

Camp for me would be the kicker. I don't disagree the body of work would matter more than a short tournament but the key is they have to do it when the compeitition is closer to a pro level. One thing to play well amongst your peers, but quite another to stand out when guys like Brodie, Monahan, Gio hit the ice. If guys like Lomberg and Burke can stand out like that then i would expect they will get consideration for NHL deals. That's exactly how Nick Schneider got his last year. 

I agree that camp should have a bigger factor than Young Stars.  I would prefer to keep Lomberg on the existing AHL deal and let him show it in the full AHL season.  Wouldn't consider signing him yet.  Burke is more like signing him to a NHL deal like some of our better draft picks.  No more of a risk than signing Carroll, Smith, etc. and let their contracts slide.  

He would need to have a decent performance at camp, but if he has a huge overage season in the WHL, he will get drafted in 2017.  Would rather not spend a pick on him for that reason.  Not a big guy at all, but managed to put up over 100 points last year in the WHL.

They did let a few players go this yr but a bunch of draft picks have come in more than usual. I believe the fact we have so many draftees coming in is why we let so many go but we own the ECHL team and Im hoping they give Mikkel Aagaard a ECHL or Stockton opportunityPlus would like to see Falkovsky a Contract of some sort after making such an effort to make it here and show his stuff a little raw but I think has ton of upside if given the chance.

Archived