Derek Grant Contract Status

Group 6 UFA.

He is about 45 games short of what he would have needed to play in order to keep his RFA status. 

Well that sucks. So he's likely gone in the summer then eh?

Are you surprised he's not getting some action with the Flames at this point? I mean I thought they might give him a week with the Heat after returning from injury, but he seems fully healed so I thought we'd see him with the Flames again. Especially as he's UFA, dangle some carrot to help with the re-signing. Maybe next week I suppose.

Is there a feeling his game won't translate to the NHL? I understand why some of the young defensemen on the Heat might not see time with the Flames as they'll be back for training camp next year (and I think we have only one regular call-up available), but Grant might have other/better options in the summer to sign with another club.

Well that sucks. So he's likely gone in the summer then eh?

Are you surprised he's not getting some action with the Flames at this point? I mean I thought they might give him a week with the Heat after returning from injury, but he seems fully healed so I thought we'd see him with the Flames again. Especially as he's UFA, dangle some carrot to help with the re-signing. Maybe next week I suppose.

Is there a feeling his game won't translate to the NHL? I understand why some of the young defensemen on the Heat might not see time with the Flames as they'll be back for training camp next year (and I think we have only one regular call-up available), but Grant might have other/better options in the summer to sign with another club.

Grant is fine.  They know what they have in him, but only have 2 recalls left this season.  We have 6D that are available without doing a regular recall (Spoon is on Emergency Recall for Engelland).  I think the Flames will try to re-sign him prior to July 1st.  If not, then it's still likely he signs.

I don't think it is a given that Grant will sign. Not at all. Some team will give him a good chance to start in the NHL next season. He looked good in his call up, has been a monster in the AHL, and his face off ability makes him a solid add. But given our depth that chance won't be in Calgary.

If the Flames buy out Stajan maybe things change, but right now I would be surprised to see him sign an extension.

He gets in the way of Jankowski, imho.    Great player.    But unless Jankowski cracks the Flames next year, Grant could steal valuable development minutes.   

Was glad to have him there this year.    Next year could be tricky.

An NCAA media guy was on the Fan today and said that it looks like Jankowski is probably a year in the AHL removed from the NHL. So, his skill and head for the game is good, but still needs a bit more maturing. I think it could do him well too. 

I think we gotta buy-out Stajan if we can't move him. 

I don't think it is a given that Grant will sign. Not at all. Some team will give him a good chance to start in the NHL next season. He looked good in his call up, has been a monster in the AHL, and his face off ability makes him a solid add. But given our depth that chance won't be in Calgary.

If the Flames buy out Stajan maybe things change, but right now I would be surprised to see him sign an extension.

That's just it. While I'm watching Stajan and Bollig do their "thing" on a nightly basis with the Flames, I'm thinking we have Derek Grant back from injury, pending unrestricted free agency. Why isn't he up with the Flames, as the 4th line center, or as a 1'st line winger (he's got the scoring touch in the AHL and he can't be any worse then Ferland playing with Mony and Johnny). It would give the brass some games to evaluate his play at the NHL level and might entice him to re-sign with us. I don't get it. 

He gets in the way of Jankowski, imho.    Great player.    But unless Jankowski cracks the Flames next year, Grant could steal valuable development minutes.   

Was glad to have him there this year.    Next year could be tricky.

I'm not talking about re-signing him next year so he can prop up the Heat again. He's our only better than point-per-game player, and one of the few plus players on the Heat this year. We should be finding out right now if this guy can translate to the NHL and in what role (4'th line center, or can he play on the wing and contribute to one of the first 3 lines?).

I'm sure Tree knows more about his game and has a plan for him but it just seems he's less likely to re-sign with us if he's not given an opportunity to finish the year with the Flames. And I don't want to lose him if he's got NHL level talent.

That's just it. While I'm watching Stajan and Bollig do their "thing" on a nightly basis with the Flames, I'm thinking we have Derek Grant back from injury, pending unrestricted free agency. Why isn't he up with the Flames, as the 4th line center, or as a 1'st line winger (he's got the scoring touch in the AHL and he can't be any worse then Ferland playing with Mony and Johnny). It would give the brass some games to evaluate his play at the NHL level and might entice him to re-sign with us. I don't get it. 

He just came back from missing close to 2 months so I don't think throwing him right into the NHL is a good thing. Sure he played well in his first copule games back, but any player will tell you it takes at least a few games if not a week until your comfrotable at game speed. If there was 20-30 games left I would agree they would want to get a look but with 9 games left i'm not sure what you are going to learn that you alrady don't know about Grant

I also don't think him playing 4-5 games in the NHL is going to entice him at all. He and his agent can see the depth chart just the same as you and I can. Re-signing Grant is coming to come down to, IMO at least, what team is going to have the best opporutnity to provide him an NHL shot, him playing a copule of games at the NHL level this year I don't thionk changes that.

While I do like Grant, I do think its more important to find out what they have in the likes of Agostino, Hamilton, Porier, Shinkaruk etc before they see what they have in Grant. We know what Grant is, he is someone who can maybe be a 4th line center for you at the NHL level, but we don't know what those other players can be. 

Grant doesn't block Jankowski. Not at all. Last time I checked there are more then one centre spots available on a team. Having a bit of competition is a good thing, bit a bad thing. Centre depth doesn't hurt either.

Agreed. with Granlund gone and Grant a UFA its entriely possibly that Bill Arnold goes into next season as the Heat's number 1 center. If Jankowski can't compete with Arnold and beat out Arnold for ice time he's got serious problems. 

We are down to one callup left we can use. I suspect that is part of the reason why.

He just came back from missing close to 2 months so I don't think throwing him right into the NHL is a good thing. Sure he played well in his first copule games back, but any player will tell you it takes at least a few games if not a week until your comfrotable at game speed. If there was 20-30 games left I would agree they would want to get a look but with 9 games left i'm not sure what you are going to learn that you alrady don't know about Grant

I also don't think him playing 4-5 games in the NHL is going to entice him at all. He and his agent can see the depth chart just the same as you and I can. Re-signing Grant is coming to come down to, IMO at least, what team is going to have the best opporutnity to provide him an NHL shot, him playing a copule of games at the NHL level this year I don't thionk changes that.

While I do like Grant, I do think its more important to find out what they have in the likes of Agostino, Hamilton, Porier, Shinkaruk etc before they see what they have in Grant. We know what Grant is, he is someone who can maybe be a 4th line center for you at the NHL level, but we don't know what those other players can be. 

Agreed. with Granlund gone and Grant a UFA its entriely possibly that Bill Arnold goes into next season as the Heat's number 1 center. If Jankowski can't compete with Arnold and beat out Arnold for ice time he's got serious problems. 

I agree about the timing. But he's already played three games in a week and played well according to Huska.

If you think Grant's ceiling at the NHL level is a borderline 4th line center, then that doesn't project well for the other players you've mentioned, as Grant has convincingly outperformed them all year in the AHL. Yes, I know there are many factors that effect this including usage and age.

I'm not even saying I think he's got a higher ceiling then that. I don't know. I just think it's in the Flames best interest to give him another shot in the NHL to see if he can continue the success he's seen in the AHL all year.

Considering that Grant's 1.26 points-per game season in the AHL this year comes after a pointless stint with the Flames to start the year and a 0.52 ppg season in the AHL last year, don't you think it's worth considering that he's "figured things out" for lack of a better term and that it would be in the Flames best interest to see if he can be successful at the NHL level?

I disagree that the chance to end the season in the NHL making NHL dollars has no effect on the relationship between team and player, but what I must assume at this point is that extension talks have stalled and he has indicated that he'll be testing free agency, so the Flames don't have a lot of motivation to bring him up. 

We are down to one callup left we can use. I suspect that is part of the reason why.

Yes I would believe you're correct. But why not use that last callup on the one guy who may not be here for training camp next year?

There's many possibilities of course. He may have already said he's not re-signing. The Flames for whatever reason may not want to re-sign him. I just find the situation strange. I would have thought they would reward his good play in the AHL this year with a call-up to end the year in the NHL and give the Flames a chance to see if he's better at the NHL level then he has been in the past to help determine how bad they want to re-sign him this summer.

I cant see the flames letting grant walk for nothing. I really wouldnt be suprised to see him up with the flames if he has a good camp and even without buying out stajan, maybe they shift him to the wing and let grant play down the middle that wouldnt be so bad. 

I also cant see the problem with him and jankowski being together in the minors, have a good team down there is just as good as having players play up here in my opinion. I would see arnold as both of their competition going forward.

I cant see the flames letting grant walk for nothing. I really wouldnt be suprised to see him up with the flames if he has a good camp and even without buying out stajan, maybe they shift him to the wing and let grant play down the middle that wouldnt be so bad.

I also cant see the problem with him and jankowski being together in the minors, have a good team down there is just as good as having players play up here in my opinion. I would see arnold as both of their competition going forward.

Why wouldn't they let him walk for nothing? Not to say he won't see a call up, but if Grant decides to move on he moves on.

Flames have 2 callups left. Hathaway and Ortio have been their regular call ups while Wotherspoon, Agostino, and Hamilton were/are all up on Emergency call ups. Unless I've forgotten about someone?

I think people are getting ahead of themselves with Grant. I might be in the minority but I thought he was just ok during his call up and if he walks I'm not too beaten up about it. 4th line centres or NHL/AHL centres are not that difficult to find and I think Freddie Hamikton has done a nice job at th NHL level so while I would like to retain grant I don't think him leaving is that big a deal. Not worth getting worked up over IMO.

Flames have 2 callups left. Hathaway and Ortio have been their regular call ups while Wotherspoon, Agostino, and Hamilton were/are all up on Emergency call ups. Unless I've forgotten about someone?

I think people are getting ahead of themselves with Grant. I might be in the minority but I thought he was just ok during his call up and if he walks I'm not too beaten up about it. 4th line centres or NHL/AHL centres are not that difficult to find and I think Freddie Hamikton has done a nice job at th NHL level so while I would like to retain grant I don't think him leaving is that big a deal. Not worth getting worked up over IMO.

Fan 960 mentioned 1 callup left. I have not been keeping track.

Fan 960 mentioned 1 callup left. I have not been keeping track.

It gets a little confusing.  Hamilton was an emergency callup, and was supposed to go down when Sam came back in.  But then another player was questionable, and he stayed up.  Jooris was banged up and Hamilton went in.

It's hard to sau how much leeway they had, but it seems like they still have 2 left. 

I really hope they can get him signed again. I think I project him a little higher than a 4th line center though. So my off season scenario would be to trade Backland in a package for the goaltender we need, buy out Stajan and he slots into the 3rd line easily. The guy has grit, plays a team game, can score and WINS FACEOFFS. Exactly what we need...  

http://flamesnation.ca/2016/3/27/who-else-deserves-a-recall-1d1f073b-958c-4299-948a-196f252556fa

"Grant is one of the few players this year to put up point-per-game numbers in the American League and his goal total puts him in impressive company. Only Providence's Frank Vatrano (33) and Chris Bourque of Hershey (28) have scored more goals than Grant this season which is incredible knowing that he's basically only played half a season."

I think he deserves the call-up based on performance alone, as this is a meritocracy right? I'd really like to re-sign him but the more I read into the situation I'm not sure it will get done. Someone might be willing to give him a one-way contract in the summer. I think the farm system is at a place where the Flames can replace Stajan and Bollig with younger, cheaper, hungrier guys including Grant.

Why would you trade Back we keep trading all the back bone of this team and you might as well call us Edmonton I really don't want to be a bottom feeder for the next 7 more yrs

I agree. I wouldn't want to trade Backlund. However, if he continues to progress the Flames might be in a position where they can't afford his new contract as a 3'rd line C behind Monahan and Bennett. Or in a few years Jankowski may be fighting Backlund for that position on the team. He's current contract is good value, we'll have to see how things play out.

Archived